Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Correct placement for thumbstrap  (Read 2205 times)

groves

Correct placement for thumbstrap
« on: March 03, 2018, 06:48:28 PM »

I'm a beginner and was wondering whether there is a tutorial that shows common placements of the thumb for use in a thumbstrap?

I have a HA-114 and find the thumbstrap getting in the way a bit when quickly moving from low/high notes if I try to rest my thumb on the box itself (either on the back of the keyboard, or on the outer edge). I've found that I can keep my thumb off of the box (basically "floating" in the air and keeping tension on the thumbstrap) and it works a bit better, but I feel like this probably isn't normal usage and would probably get tiring.

If I don't use the thumbstrap at all it feels good as well, but then I find that I have to constantly apply a lot of pressure with my thumb anyway, which isn't ideal.

I would also like to try out a shoulder strap to compare, but I'm not sure if there is a way to do this that isn't destructive to the box (I prefer not to drill any holes).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 07:34:53 PM by groves »

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: Correct placement for thumbstrap
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 08:11:40 PM »

Probably no such thing as "correct placement" it's more about finding what works for you.
Here's a couple links to different ways.
Straight though these two seem to be the same just past the first knuckle. (This is probably what you referred to as floating) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mkPK93MtoVk

This fellow behind the keyboard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQJ4xnSNH8

And this fellow on the edge
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8-tw8-4F3Qc

So what ever is the most comfortable really.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

gettabettabox

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 08:37:38 PM »

Probably no such thing as "correct placement" it's more about finding what works for you.
Here's a couple links to different ways.
Straight though these two seem to be the same just past the first knuckle. (This is probably what you referred to as floating) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mkPK93MtoVk

This fellow behind the keyboard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQJ4xnSNH8

And this fellow on the edge
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8-tw8-4F3Qc

So what ever is the most comfortable really.
Clip 1 arched fingers, clip 2 flat fingers, clip 3 in between.  :||:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:39:13 PM by gettabettabox »

gettabettabox

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 08:49:16 PM »

Facrotory fitted thumb straps on the HA112,3,4 single rows can sometimes work, but depends on variables such as the leather quality, your hand and finger size, dexterity, playing style and the button range required. Not everyone uses the whole range!
I need button one on the draw and likewise button 9 with reliable access, so have to replace the factory issue strap with a slightly longer loop. This suits my needs, but it is very individual.
As boxcall says, find out what works for you, nice to keep the original fitting if you can?

groves

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 09:02:30 PM »

Thanks, those are great clips! Good to know that there are many ways to use the strap.

This gives me another idea. I think it feels a bit loose using the method in clip 1 unless I create a lot of tension using my thumb. But if I point the strap inwards (towards the bellows) and insert my thumb upwards (through the bottom hole and out the top) like I usually do -- basically curling the strap around itself -- it gives a much tighter grip and leaves my thumb behind the keyboard. Has anyone tried this before? It feels pretty good.

gettabettabox

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 09:06:19 PM »

Yes, many will know what twist you mean. Just be careful it's not leather with a very strong memory because it could flip you over in a forward roll! ( had to say it!) :D

george garside

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 10:18:00 PM »

see youtube jimmy shand melodeon solo in which he plays an Erica  using just a thumbstrap

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 11:31:00 PM »

I would also like to try out a shoulder strap to compare, but I'm not sure if there is a way to do this that isn't destructive to the box (I prefer not to drill any holes).
Fitting strap brackets is not hard to do; just needs a little bit of care. It doesn't detract from the instrument. Something like this is the sort of thing you need:
http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Strap_Brackets.html#18

These come with screws ready to fit. No need to drill holes through the instrument. The wood on a Hohner 114 is quite soft; just a small pilot hole to get the screw started is all you need. I use a sharp spike or bradawl to do this.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 12:34:00 AM »

I fashioned a piece of leather into a sleeve that fits inside the thumbstrap and fits my thumb. The good news is that I have never had a blister as the sleeve is a good fit on my thumb so leather moves on leather in the thumbstrap.

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 11:29:00 AM »

But, Richard........some of us have "scrunched up crab-like" hands, so what else are we to do?
(Especially if we hope to ever play on Spongebob?) 
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

groves

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 08:00:49 PM »

Yes, many will know what twist you mean. Just be careful it's not leather with a very strong memory because it could flip you over in a forward roll! ( had to say it!) :D
I certainly hope not! :D It does squeak at me sometimes...

Fitting strap brackets is not hard to do; just needs a little bit of care. It doesn't detract from the instrument. Something like this is the sort of thing you need:
http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Strap_Brackets.html#18

These come with screws ready to fit. No need to drill holes through the instrument. The wood on a Hohner 114 is quite soft; just a small pilot hole to get the screw started is all you need. I use a sharp spike or bradawl to do this.
Thanks for the link! I'll consider it although I don't like the thought of altering the box because it's in really good condition. I think I should try it on another box before I commit to it.

I fashioned a piece of leather into a sleeve that fits inside the thumbstrap and fits my thumb. The good news is that I have never had a blister as the sleeve is a good fit on my thumb so leather moves on leather in the thumbstrap.

Stephen
This is a great idea! I think I'm going to rip up an old leather belt and attempt this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal