Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Golden Rules" for practising?  (Read 8351 times)

george garside

Re: "Golden Rules" for practising?
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2018, 09:54:07 AM »

agree with everything exept learn a new tune every week.  Unless highly capable and experienced  I would suggest a new one perhaps once a month at the most.

george

I think that might be a little bit cautious.

yes it is on the cautious side  and also depends on what is meantt by 'learn' a new tune.  If learning a tune is taken as more or less being able to play the right notes in the right order then for some one a week is possible but I was thinking more in terms of  reaching the 'polished version'

But then I suppose we all have effectively two lists of tunes we can play, i.e. those we have polished up and those we havn't - and maybe those we tried to polish up but somehow didn't quite get them to shine!

george :||: ;D :||: :-[ :||: :-\
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2018, 10:53:06 AM »

... I find I need to concentrate on switches from push pull more than anything else. ...

I don't want to worry you, your experience may well be different to mine, but I used to play the PA a bit before I took up the diatonic thing. About two years in I picked up a friends to knock something out on and I couldn't play it. At all. My hands insisted on doing bellows reversals in the melodeon way. It felt so weird I've not tried it since.
I tend to 'exercise' the bellows more than perhaps i should when playing the PA. I've learned to switch between the two without too much bother, though my PA playing is..er..messy. And there are always one or more critical phrases in a tune that is hard to master. So practicing that over and over again is essential, on the melodeon or any other instrument. Spend ten minutes repeating the same phrase, and then leave it and come back to it. I normally find I am better at it the next time I get to it. But not always... (:)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2018, 11:01:19 AM »

But, yes I have thought about this too, but so far it's fine. I'm almost 30 yrs a PA-player, from childhood, I'm only 2 months into melodeon, so who knows when the issue might pop up...

I would think that you'll be fine if you keep playing both. There are a few people on here who do that. Might just be me who ran into the wall.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2018, 11:17:58 AM »

yes it is on the cautious side  and also depends on what is meantt by 'learn' a new tune.  If learning a tune is taken as more or less being able to play the right notes in the right order then for some one a week is possible but I was thinking more in terms of  reaching the 'polished version'

But then I suppose we all have effectively two lists of tunes we can play, i.e. those we have polished up and those we havn't - and maybe those we tried to polish up but somehow didn't quite get them to shine!

george :||: ;D :||: :-[ :||: :-\

Got to agree that it generally takes  quite a lot longer than a week to bring a tune to a final version (if that ever really happens)-I've known it take years but usually it's more or less there in a couple of weeks (:)
In practice, though, I am learning and developing a number of tunes at any one time and I have done this since I started.

The first  few months of learning were the ones in which I was the busiest in this way. I think I was probably picking up at least a tune a day (like the books used to say). Not quite sure how long that went on for. Like you say, though, this doesn't men I hd them down perfectly. [Edit: Why do my posts look as if they are written by the English policeman]

In terms of good practice methods your man who wrote "Music Practice" suggest splitting the things you are doing up into 10 or 5 minutes activities bescause you only retain the things done at the beginning.

He also suggests working on particular things on alternate days. To keep it fun and stop you getting bored.

I don't know if I can do this. It's definitely not what I do now. I intend to try, though. It seems to make sense.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:19:32 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal