Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: eBay Bayans  (Read 1569 times)

Willh

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Club IIIM C/F, Hohner Club Morino N
eBay Bayans
« on: March 08, 2018, 05:31:31 PM »

Howdy, folks.

I've noticed there are a few bayans for sale on eBay from time to time, but I know very little about this type of box.

Are they all true CBAs with stradella bass (assuming B-griff)?

If yes, are they worth a punt for someone wanting to see if a CBA is the way forward for playing a fully chromatic box?

Thanks,

Will
Will

mwatersworld

Re: eBay Bayans
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »

Hi Will,

After spending many months searching for a B griff CBA I took the plunge a few weeks ago and ordered one of 100 button bass boxes from a seller who specializes in bayans in Ukraine. The price was around $300. I knew it was a risky proposition but the seller seemed to have good reviews so I took a chance. The price was significantly less than what I could ever hope to find here in California even if I had managed to track one down. In email exchanges, the seller assured me that the bayan was tuned and tested. The very well packed box arrived at my door 15 days later. Alas, the F and Bb major and minor chords on the bass were not working properly and the D minor was out of tune. Some of the valves on the treble side sounded through when played lightly. Cosmetically, the bayan was great and the treble side played fairly well.

Was I just unlucky? Perhaps. Do you get what you pay for? Most certainly.

The seller, to his credit, is trying to work with me to resolve the problem. He's asked me to video the mechanism to see what needs to be adjusted. Ultimately, I anticipate I will have to have the box adjusted professionally which will bring the price up to what I would likely have paid in the first place had I found one, perhaps more - time will tell.

Like I said, some of the reviews were very happy with their purchases. If you want to take a chance and can't find anything local it might be worth a roll of the dice.

Mark
Castagnari Lily DG, Hohner Galaad GC, Hohner Panther GCF, Hohner 1140 D, Hohner HA112 C, Hohner Eb/Bb, Excelsior Organetto G, Moskva Bayan CBA, Morse Beaumont Duet concertina, Concertina Connection Minstrel Anglo.

Willh

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Club IIIM C/F, Hohner Club Morino N
Re: eBay Bayans
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:54:23 PM »

Hi Will,

After spending many months searching for a B griff CBA I took the plunge a few weeks ago and ordered one of 100 button bass boxes from a seller who specializes in bayans in Ukraine. The price was around $300. I knew it was a risky proposition but the seller seemed to have good reviews so I took a chance. The price was significantly less than what I could ever hope to find here in California even if I had managed to track one down. In email exchanges, the seller assured me that the bayan was tuned and tested. The very well packed box arrived at my door 15 days later. Alas, the F and Bb major and minor chords on the bass were not working properly and the D minor was out of tune. Some of the valves on the treble side sounded through when played lightly. Cosmetically, the bayan was great and the treble side played fairly well.

Was I just unlucky? Perhaps. Do you get what you pay for? Most certainly.

The seller, to his credit, is trying to work with me to resolve the problem. He's asked me to video the mechanism to see what needs to be adjusted. Ultimately, I anticipate I will have to have the box adjusted professionally which will bring the price up to what I would likely have paid in the first place had I found one, perhaps more - time will tell.

Like I said, some of the reviews were very happy with their purchases. If you want to take a chance and can't find anything local it might be worth a roll of the dice.

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. It's a gamble. All the assurances in the world aren't worth a lot if the box still arrives from afar in a less than desirable condition.

Common sense tells me to save up and get something that's a real keeper, but unfortunately I always find practical things to spend my money on (it's amazing how many things in an old house need fixing).

I appreciate your input. Hopefully I'll find that desirable box at a decent price one of these days soon.

Cheers,

Will
Will
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal