Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Briggs on eBay  (Read 7845 times)

triskel

Re: Re: Briggs on eBay
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 12:28:14 PM »

Yes, somebody's paid a huge premium to get it now... ::)

Edited to add:

And set a new record price for any B/C accordion, more than even the very holiest of holy greys! :o

Whilst, as Melodeon commented, it has "2  reeds.. yes folks, 2 reeds" - even if they are absolutely top-quality "A Mano (hand-made) blue edge nostrino reeds by Italian reed makers ‘Antonelli’."... :-\

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »

I wonder how long his waiting list is...
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 01:24:55 PM »

I wonder how long his waiting list is...
Q

There is a suggestion that he has been known to never get round to actually delivering commissions

"A deposit is payable of £1,000 in the form of a sterling bank draft when I accept an order. In exceptionable circumstances this may be returnable - for example if I take way over the time I initially promised to complete an instrument and you get fed up of waiting!"

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Gromit

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 01:43:40 PM »

I'd heard rumours that he had stopped making but not sure that it's true. Interesting read on his background and he lists them in D/G.

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 03:17:12 PM »

Might be a business opportunity. Just order one now for 6k, and sell it for 11k when it is ready :-)
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

melodeon

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 03:38:01 PM »

Presuming it is delivered in your lifetime: )

I can make more money flipping HOHNERS. !

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 03:39:54 PM »

That's maybe not such a daft suggestion. I knew a bloke who did it for quite some time with Morgan sports cars; he made a better living than me!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 05:52:00 PM »

I am so impressed of the box, - the box is in.
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

triskel

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 07:18:40 PM »

That's maybe not such a daft suggestion. I knew a bloke who did it for quite some time with Morgan sports cars; he made a better living than me!

I'd been thinking of quoting Morgan as an example of such "market forces" at play, and other small-production exotic cars.

KLR

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 10:14:34 PM »

Johnny B Connolly's Briggs has 5 different reed blocks, including the B/C he usually uses - the free reed equivalent of having one of each pitch of Generation tin whistle, except it cost about $9k USD more...

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 12:15:50 AM »

Edited to add:

And set a new record price for any B/C accordion, more than even the very holiest of holy greys! :o

Not sure about that...the price paid for this Briggs is approx. €12833, and as far as I know, that is slightly less
than the price paid for a 1940s Paolo Soprani a few years back.

triskel

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 12:33:35 AM »

Yes, somebody's ... set a new record price for any B/C accordion, more than even the very holiest of holy greys! :o

Not sure about that...the price paid for this Briggs is approx. €12833, and as far as I know, that is slightly less

I know somebody (in Spiddal ;)), who paid €11,000.00 for one (and I know the man who sold it to him), but I never heard of anybody pay more.

But some people have no value on money...  ???

Edited to add missing zero  ::)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 12:42:57 AM »

Might be a business opportunity. Just order one now for 6k, and sell it for 11k when it is ready :-)

I've heard of people doing just that in the trad world with instruments from other makers who have long waiting lists, e.g. with Irish flutes made by Patrick Olwell, for example. Think how the maker must feel when that happens.

I have an old friend who is a well-respected uilleann pipemaker. He had a waiting list of 14 years at last count - it's probably closed now because he's close to retirement. A few years ago somebody for whom he had made a set early in his pipemaking career (before he was famous) sold it for many times the original price. He told me he contacted the seller and suggested that he (the seller) ought to give him (the maker) a share of the profit. Apparently the man agreed!

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 01:22:18 AM »

Yes, somebody's ... set a new record price for any B/C accordion, more than even the very holiest of holy greys! :o

I know somebody (in Spiddal ;)), who paid €1,100.00 for one (and I know the man who sold it to him), but I never heard of anybody pay more.

Surely, that can't be right...€1,100? More like 12 times that amount!

triskel

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 02:43:02 AM »

Sorry, I was under pressure from a hot bath running when I typed that, and I've been laying there thinking "did I leave a zero out?" in the meantime - and I did. Mea culpa! :|bl

Obviously that should read €11,000.00. ::) (And I heard it "from the horse's mouth"!)

Anyway, I'll correct it in my original post to try and avoid confusing people...

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 03:10:04 AM »

Obviously that should read €11,000.00. ::) (And I heard it "from the horse's mouth"!)

On mature recollection, yes you're right. For some reason I had a figure of €13,000 in my head.
11K might be the most paid for a B/C, but higher prices have been paid for D/D# Paolos!

triskel

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 04:17:39 AM »

On mature recollection ...

Good old Brian Lenihan... ;)

... higher prices have been paid for D/D# Paolos!

For a very, very special one anyway!

And there wasn't even much left that was original from that 1947-photo grey box (the reeds are said to have been ruined by a French accordion builder along the way, and it had the bass end of a different old grey on it), which Joe Cooley had sold to (fellow Tulla Céilí Band box player) Joe Mac before leaving for America in 1953, and got borrowed many years later...  :(

A tale I won't go into here! ::)

(I'd rather remain on friendly terms with all concerned.)

Gromit

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 10:58:48 AM »

He had a waiting list of 14 years at last count

Like Chris Wilkes (a top maker of pipes and flutes) - I bought one of his keyed flutes back in 1990, 3 years ago a similar s/hand model sold for 7 times the price that I paid.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:09:45 PM by Gromit »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Briggs on eBay
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 05:02:52 PM »

[[ADMIN]]

OK clever clogs, I have spent some time filleting out the private panel game parasitising this topic. You know who you are.  If you want to have a private word game please do it somewhere else.  Eggheads may be looking for new challengers.

Now open for discussion again

Theo
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

mory

Re: Briggs on eBay
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 06:19:15 PM »

Thanks Theo
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal