Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What voices doHohner two stops have?  (Read 3557 times)

triskel

Re: What voices doHohner two stops have?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 02:45:32 AM »

Interesting, I think that would still be a 112 where there is two stops.

If it was made after WW2 (when the Nos. 112, 113 and 114 designations started) yes, but back in the 1920s there were several 2-stopper models, all with 5XX numbers.

In the 1930s Hohner seem to have stopped making them under their own name altogether, but they still made some cheaper models with various brand names (especially "Regal") to satisfy what demand there was for what would have been seen as very simple and old-fashioned instruments.

I have not seen a stamp on any 114, 113, or a 112 , other than the key stamp.

No, you'd never see a model number on any Hohner melodeon, but it would have been on its cardboard box, and in contemporary catalogues.

Cam Button

• Good talker
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 03:26:04 AM »

Triskel,
There is a date of December 20 1926 marked in pencil on the bellows. I don't know if the maker dated all of their work, or if it was a nod towards Christmas.

triskel

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 05:01:29 AM »

Triskel,
There is a date of December 20 1926 marked in pencil on the bellows. I don't know if the maker dated all of their work, or if it was a nod towards Christmas.

Whatever that date may, or may not, signify, it would be unheard of for a Hohner factory worker (one of many who would have worked on it along the line) to date an instrument. Could you post a picture of the writing for us? (It might be possible to tell if someone German, or American, was responsible for it.)

But that more "modern" style of melodeon, with flat black sides, Stradella corners, gold-branded chevron decoration and MH monogram on the soundboard, makes its first appearance (as far as anyone knows) in Hohner's wonderfully illuminating "Catalogue No. 700" that was compiled after the takeover of Koch in 1929. Whilst it isn't illustrated in Hohner's April 1929 catalogue - but maybe that was already out of date when it was published?

Anyway, the date (which is within a handful of years) wasn't what I was querying, but the H117 designation when all the 3-digit numbers at that time started with No. 5, and ended in 2 for a 2-stop melodeon...

melodeon

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 05:20:19 AM »

To address the OP's original query :   

"What voices do Hohner two stops have?"

Badly, arbitrarily, vaguely, crudely  tuned  to  "440"  or thereabouts on the first M reed,  and "almost tuned",  plus or minus 17 cents on the  second M  reed; that , of course, if you are going for historical accuracy.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 10:13:36 AM »

Thanks. Makes me wonder why they bothered with two stops?

When I was first learning I remember some 4 stop players in sessions who would only have the 2 M reeds engaged.

:|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 10:45:20 AM »

My 117 has two stops.

Mmm. It was your for sale post that prompted my comment  (:)

I'm wondering where the designation "117" comes from. Could it have been a misread "112"?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 04:13:54 PM »

Interesting, I think that would still be a 112 where there is two stops.

If it was made after WW2 (when the Nos. 112, 113 and 114 designations started) yes, but back in the 1920s there were several 2-stopper models, all with 5XX numbers.

In the 1930s Hohner seem to have stopped making them under their own name altogether, but they still made some cheaper models with various brand names (especially "Regal") to satisfy what demand there was for what would have been seen as very simple and old-fashioned instruments.

I have not seen a stamp on any 114, 113, or a 112 , other than the key stamp.

No, you'd never see a model number on any Hohner melodeon, but it would have been on its cardboard box, and in contemporary catalogues.
So a stamp like this was not done on older models 5xx as well, and is more or less out of place then?
(On the instrument and as you say it would have been on the cardboard box it came in.)
I wonder if someone just added it later , maybe mistakenly use the 7 stamp. I could certainly see myself doing it if I didn't have my readers on.

Sorry for the drift
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

triskel

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 07:05:15 PM »

So a stamp like this was not done on older models 5xx as well, and is more or less out of place then?
(On the instrument and as you say it would have been on the cardboard box it came in.)

At this moment I have no idea where the 117 number has come from, that hasn't been stated so far... ???

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 08:52:03 PM »

Got it!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal