Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing leaky gussets  (Read 3558 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Re: Replacing leaky gussets
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 05:48:24 PM »

Sorry,  what's gusset? 

Soft material in the bellow corners? ? ?    Or what?

The word 'gusset' in UK English at least is considered funny by some. It sounds rude but isn't actually rude. After a bit of 'research' on Google I found other similar words that raise a smile - if you are a Brit and have a slightly dirty sense of humour. Examples of other innocent but rude sounding words are 'flange', 'penal' and, perhaps, 'poop deck'. Many of us (me included) will have been grinning widely every time somebody writes the word 'gusset'. If anyone wants to add to my erudite explanation, please feel free. (:). (Nick CB...where are you).

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 06:18:43 PM »

In particular, pants/trousers have a gusset in the crutch area, as does underwear, more notably mentioned with regard to female underwear (maybe it's just the company I keep).
That should narrow down the area of research.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 08:19:23 PM »

Also a term use in house construction for a member of wood or metal that holds two other pieces together.
So like in a roof truss where pieces are not nailed together but rather held together by a metal gusset plate. These are usually stamped or punched into the wood so that little tabs of metal dig in to the wood, surprisingly strong.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »

'Truss' is also a word that has comic uses.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 10:58:21 AM »

Also support.  As in: Thank you for your support, I shall always wear it.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »

To get back to the original topic. I am wondering if Hohner ever used other fabric for this purpose? When I look at the existing gussets on the bellows, they are shiny black on the surface, but underneath, and looking at them from the inside, they are a sort of fluffy white material. Photo attached hopefully.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »

From a position of unassailable ignorance it looks to me like oil cloth, aka American cloth.  Whatever it is it looks completely perished.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 02:36:05 PM »

The ones I’ve seen like that were white leather with a black surface.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »

Thanks Theo, I did wonder, but it doesn't look very leathery now.

SJ

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 02:45:36 PM »

Old leather can do that.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »

It looks like I'm going to have to junk these belows, it's like Whack-a-Mole. Repair one, and another one goes. The leather is sort dry and crumbly,  with cracks everywhere.. I suppose I could try stripping them down completely, and renewing all the leather, but that would mean removing and then replacing all the corners too. Time to look for a new set methinks.

SJ

tirpous

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 04:22:12 PM »

Assuming there are only 1 or 2 gussets in need of replacement, is there a way to remove the old ones with minimal damage to bellows tape, paper and cardboard ??

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 04:28:35 PM »

You can cut the old one out, but to get rid of it completely you would need to remove the metal corners, which trap the corner of the gusset. Then when you have done that you need to repair/replace the bellows papers, which cover the opposite corners of the gusset.

SJ

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal