Discussions > General Discussion

WARNING - new breed of eBay scammer

(1/8) > >>

triskel:
A lot of eBay scams are pretty blatant and obvious to people who are aware of them, but the last few days I've noticed a new technique (to me anyway) that is rather more subtle, using a stolen account with lots of good feedback.

Giveaways are lots and lots of desirable items of various kinds (in this case 2,913 of them, including 751 musical instruments!), all listed at the same time and for only three days, and with a seller in Germany it says, but that doesn't tally with the Business seller information which is for someone in the United States.

There haven't been any diatonic accordions/melodeons yet, but there are five listings for good concertinas, including a Wheatstone Aeola English and two Jeffries Anglos. (I actually know the present owner of one of them! :o)

And there's even a 3/4 set of Uilleann pipes made by Tadhg Crowley of Cork, 1930s.

boxcall:
Interesting and good to know, thanks for the tip Triskel !!

Does EBay provide a list of these "giveaways" to scams? Do you know.

triskel:

--- Quote from: boxcall on March 11, 2018, 08:36:40 PM ---Does EBay provide a list of these "giveaways" to scams? Do you know.

--- End quote ---

Not that I know of - they're no doubt busily trying to keep up with all the latest ones themselves...  :-\

Theo:
I’ve been aware of this kind of scam for a small number of years now, so I don’t think it is very new.  It’s usually easy to detect because the scammer has to divert payment away from the hijacked account and it’s linked PayPal account.  So you will usually see payment instructions that ask the buyer to use a different email address to contact the seller.  This is usually in a text message included in an image.   
Or is this new method where the scammer hijacks the linked papal account as well?

triskel:

--- Quote from: Theo on March 12, 2018, 09:34:50 AM ---Or is this new method where the scammer hijacks the linked paypal account as well?

--- End quote ---

It appears to be, it looks quite legitimate from that point of view, that's the thing... :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version