Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WARNING - new breed of eBay scammer  (Read 7417 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: WARNING - new breed of eBay scammer
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 12:27:06 AM »

If you see something that looks odd on ebay, eg the same instrument up for sale twice, apparently from the same seller, what should you do?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 07:39:33 AM »

I've seen it several times. Assumed it was an Ebay glitch or finger trouble - does it have the same item number? Otherwise if I were interested I'd contact the seller.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

MartinW

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 09:08:50 AM »

If you see something that looks odd on ebay, eg the same instrument up for sale twice, apparently from the same seller, what should you do?
There can often be good reasons for this, such as a relisting of an item that failed to sell or where the buyer failed to complete the purchase.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »

There has been an ad on EBay for what seems like years, for a Hohner Morino in a gold colour. Don't know if it's the same one all the time, but it's apparently in Bulgaria. Am I right in suspecting this to be unsafe? It certainly looks dodgy to me. If only by its ubiquity.

Sir John

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTHENTIC-ABSOLUTE-UNIQUE-BUTTON-ACCORDION-HOHNER-MORINO-ARTISTE-II-N-CASSOTTO/302676412057?hash=item4678eb8699:g:GOgAAOxy3cJTh-st
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

triskel

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 05:15:30 PM »

Some people will list an item more than once in all innocence, either by mistake or thinking that they're "refreshing" it/pushing it back to the top of the list by doing so. I wouldn't assume it was necessarily a bad sign by itself, or do anything on only that basis.

triskel

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »

I've seen it several times. Assumed it was an Ebay glitch or finger trouble - does it have the same item number? Otherwise if I were interested I'd contact the seller.

Only I'd be very wary if an eBay sign-in page appeared when I was trying to contact the seller, and I'd look hard to be sure it really was eBay - that could be a fake designed to steal your login/identity... ???

triskel

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 05:27:41 PM »

There has been an ad on EBay for what seems like years, for a Hohner Morino in a gold colour. Don't know if it's the same one all the time, but it's apparently in Bulgaria. Am I right in suspecting this to be unsafe? It certainly looks dodgy to me. If only by its ubiquity.

It appears to be totally legit - they're a regular and well-known seller with 100% positive feedback for selling accordions and other musical instruments. But maybe buyers don't fancy the gold glitter on that one...

triskel

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 01:09:26 AM »

... if I were interested I'd contact the seller.

Only I'd be very wary if an eBay sign-in page appeared when I was trying to contact the seller, and I'd look hard to be sure it really was eBay - that could be a fake designed to steal your login/identity... ???

Indeed, getting you to interact with them so they can make you "sign-in" on a fake eBay page may be more what they're really about, harvesting passwords associated with email addresses that may give them access to your accounts on other websites:

The secret of [the spammer] Milliken’s success is a sloppy security practice we’ve all been guilty of at one time or another: using the same password at multiple websites. Instead of trying to vault the formidable defenses at Twitter or Facebook, Milliken and his crew would target specialty sites like ReverbNation, Kickstarter, and the image sharing social network We Heart It—anywhere he might find poorly protected user passwords, preferably unencrypted, and the corresponding email addresses. Some percentage of them would inevitably unlock the victim’s accounts at other websites better suited for spamming.

triskel

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »

In the latest incarnation of the same scam(mer?) they're offering a fake "eBay Daily Deals" service that they want you to sign into - so they can steal your account and use that too to try and con people! >:(

They seem to be listing mostly on Fridays and Saturdays, with thousands of the same items, and I've seen the Briggs with additional A/Bb reeds come up at least half a dozen times in the last 24 hours - and reported it. ::)

triskel

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2018, 03:09:24 PM »

The same scam is on there again today, this time as user kellylr123 with 2,355 items.

Reported, again. ::)

triskel

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »

The Briggs seems to have mastered bi-location, seeing that I've seen it in both Munich and Dallas simultaneously today, and reported it both times. ::)

And it's on again tonight, in San Jose this time, along with the usual Hohner Anacleto 3-row, C. Jeffries, W. Jeffries, Wheatstone and Wheatstone/Lachenal concertinas, a bunch of piano and chromatic accordions (mostly "Double Tone Chamber"), etc., etc., etc.

But you can say goodbye to your eBay account, and maybe your money, if you sign into their fake "eBay Daily Deals"... ::)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2018, 02:36:59 PM »

It seems that our "mate" is at it again! I've clicked on the "report" button, but there's nothing on there which I can click! Maybe someone else might have more luck?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Concert-Grand-Double-Tone-Chamber-Accordion-46-reed/392079273563?hash=item5b49beee5b:g:POAAAOSw8RxbQc8X

It'll be a great pity if people's enjoyment of eBay is ruined like YouTube has been, with all its "click here, click there" in order to watch certain things. I'm very dodgy about clicking anything on unknown sites
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:42:22 PM by Edward Jennings »
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »

Well, it's gone now  (:)
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2018, 03:53:44 PM »

It's still coming up on my laptop, along with the Briggs and a lovely concertina among others.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »

The Briggs was up again, and it disappeared and just as quickly relisted under a different name. Slippery customer indeed. I reported it again.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

triskel

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2018, 06:40:05 PM »

There were FIVE Briggs boxes for sale simultaneously, in different countries, when I reported them all earlier. :o

I find the handiest way to report them is for listing prctices, avoiding eBay fees by offering to sell outside of eBay - that seems to get eBay's attention! ;)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2018, 10:54:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal