Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conundrum  (Read 3694 times)

HallelujahAl

Conundrum
« on: August 16, 2009, 11:07:11 AM »

Conundrum:
Am playing a number of tunes today - some which are fine on the D/G box - others of which really need a box with low notes as opposed to accidentals.
Will probably manage to wing it ok without taking my PA along as back up - but do I consider getting my D/G some low notes instead of accidentals???

Can't afford another box at the moment - and I could also really do with a Bb/Eb box to accompany my congregation's brass ensemble.
Questions questions questions.

Low notes vs accidentals?

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
Re: Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:12:55 AM »

I suppose it depends how often you use the accidentals or low notes. I use my D/G largely for morris and so need the accidentals for some of the tunes, but never need the low notes. I suppose it depends on your repertoire.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 11:25:11 AM »

Do you think a lower pitched box ie. Bb/Eb would probably negate some of the need for low notes...as I could play a tune higher up on the register on a lower pitched box if you know what I mean???
AL

george garside

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 01:07:34 PM »

I find it easier to fake accidentals than low notes  & keep   toying with the idea of changing my serenellini salterello to low notes on the other hand you can use e.g. B on the bass but its not quite the same feel about it.  the other option which I used on a Lilly & which I liked very much was to move all reeds up one (easyon single reed box) & leave the accidentals where they were putting the low notes on button 2 on each row. I also added a single small button between the F & the grille  with a link behind the grill to the F accidental and this greatly facilitated playing in C on teh G row as it fell naturally to hand . I have also done tis on a pokerwork. So you an have both!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 01:12:13 PM »

Conundrum:
Am playing a number of tunes today - some which are fine on the D/G box - others of which really need a box with low notes as opposed to accidentals.

For this reason I used to carry two D/Gs around with me, one with low notes and one with accidentals, until I got a 2.5 row.
You can always try fudging the low notes by using the basses. For example, if you need the low B, hit the  bass note instead. Takes a bit of practice, but it sometimes works!
(I wrote this bit while George was posting, but left it in anyway)

I never played a Bb/Eb, but reckon there's a good chance that tunes would come out quite well in the top octave.

Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 01:14:47 PM »

I have low B/D on the G row and G#/Bb on the D row. I can manage without Eb/F but need that low B all the time. the D pull is also very handy.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 01:28:11 PM »

I have low B/D on the G row and G#/Bb on the D row. I can manage without Eb/F but need that low B all the time. the D pull is also very handy.

Very true, but I couldn't manage without the F natural.
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »

If* you can play the tune in the higher octave then you've got all the low notes you require.  Take the plunge, go continental and learn to play the squeeky end of the box >:E

*I admit this is not always possible if the tune covers too wide a spread of notes.
Ciao Bellow

Darren

HallelujahAl

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 05:38:50 PM »

Point 1.
Ok  - well too high and squeaky is not terribly good for leading group singing which is my main purpose in playing. So I may very well follow George's example and move reeds down the block losing the top end but gaining space at the chin end and going 4th button doh in order to fit low notes in. Still doesn't solve my, how to get a Bb/Eb box with no money, conundrum ;D

Point 2.
Bearing in mind that I would be performing the operation on my little black D/G Primo, having bought the necessary new reeds to do the job am I then going to wish that I'd bought a whole new set. Are my new notes going to sound great and the old ones average?

Like I said - Questions questions questions.
AL

Chris Brimley

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 06:10:10 PM »

Looking at the box balanced on your head, I assume it's only got two treble voices? - Why not get a three voice box with the third voice an octave below, and accidentals, and ythen you have the best of both worlds?

HallelujahAl

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 06:42:01 PM »

Why not get a three voice box with the third voice an octave below, and accidentals, and ythen you have the best of both worlds?

Hi Chris and thanks for your wise suggestion, two reasons why not I'm afraid. Firstly the box on my head is not actually my box, and secondly  - cash ;)

george garside

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »

Point 1.
 . Still doesn't solve my, how to get a Bb/Eb box with no money, conundrum ;D

Point 2.
Bearing in mind that I would be performing the operation on my little black D/G Primo, having bought the necessary new reeds to do the job am I then going to wish that I'd bought a whole new set. Are my new notes going to sound great and the old ones average?

Like I said - Questions questions questions.
AL

point 1 - provided you can manage with treble only the trichord is very much a Bflat E flat box

point 2    as you wont be palying the new low notes that often in a tune ( as a % of the time you are playing other notes) its not going to make a world of difference in the general scheme of things & whatever the quality of the new reeds it should be possible to blend them in on a 'near enough' basis.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »

Al

Keep your accidentals and shift your start notes to the 4th button.I haven't actually done this but who really needs a high-high B.

Chris

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 08:11:24 PM »

Conundrum:
Will probably manage to wing it ok without taking my PA along as back up - but do I consider getting my D/G some low notes instead of accidentals???

Al,

Theo is in the process of fettling, tuning and tweaking my D/G Pokerwork, which will include replacing the accidentals with low notes. If you're going to be at Whitby, and want to have a play to see if the changes would suit you, you'd be welcome to try it out.

Best regards

John

HallelujahAl

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 08:14:02 PM »

Al,

Theo is in the process of fettling, tuning and tweaking my D/G Pokerwork, which will include replacing the accidentals with low notes. If you're going to be at Whitby, and want to have a play to see if the changes would suit you, you'd be welcome to try it out.

Best regards

John
that'd be great John - am planning on being in Whitby in the early part of the week - so would be delighted to give it a go!
PM me if you'd like to meet up.
AL

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 10:27:52 PM »

Al

Keep your accidentals and shift your start notes to the 4th button.I haven't actually done this but who really needs a high-high B.

Chris

me.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 10:36:10 PM »

how low do you need to go?  Does the trichord not suit?
Black Shand Morino

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 10:38:38 PM »

As a compromise, I'd like a D/G Club...

HallelujahAl

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 08:26:52 AM »

how low do you need to go?  Does the trichord not suit
Yes, the trichord'll do it - but I'm not good enough or confident enough to play the trichord out at the moment so my complaint is restricted to my little D/G box. Hopefully as I improve - especially after the workshop (!) - the problem will evaporate like the early morning mist ;)

Howard Jones

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 06:07:11 PM »

My Saltarelle Nuage gets around this problem by having low notes and accidentals.  It can be a bit of a stretch to reach the accidentals, though.

As Chris suggested, you could get your box changed to a 4th button start by sacrificing a couple of high notes which only dogs and bats (and Rees, apparently) are interested in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal