Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: #AskMelonBox: Live Q&A with Mel Biggs 1st Mondays 7-8pm GMT  (Read 16118 times)

Gena Crisman

• Respected Sage
Re: #AskMelonBox: Live Q&A with Mel Biggs 1st Mondays 7-8pm GMT
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2019, 12:58:42 PM »

The main problems I've had are either clipping/distortion or recording volume that is too low and gives an unacceptable (to me) background hiss when amplified.

Hmm, that's interesting & peculiar! It sounds like you're on the right track, but the level of hiss seems unusual to me. May I ask for a bit more detail about how are you using the device? Are you using on it's own, or via eg USB into a computer or into a camera etc, and, are you running it via a plug in power supply or via batteries?

I use the h2n via batteries, in a room with no computers etc in it, and the noise level is really very low, and honestly I would expect even better performance from the h4n. My gain was apparently set to '6', and from my recent morpeth rant recordings, and the background hiss after I finished playing needs to be amplified by something like 40dB to be comparably loud (which is pretty good). Sometimes that level is a bit higher, but in those situations I have grown to prefer 'silencing' the before and after sections of the audio, rather than attempting to use noise removal tools from the whole track.

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2019, 03:43:07 PM »

Hmm, that's interesting & peculiar! It sounds like you're on the right track, but the level of hiss seems unusual to me. May I ask for a bit more detail about how are you using the device? Are you using on it's own, or via eg USB into a computer or into a camera etc, and, are you running it via a plug in power supply or via batteries?
I've tried two main approaches - standalone with batteries or as a USB audio interface into my laptop, with the USB providing the power.  I haven't tried an external power supply or being in a room without a computer but my laptop is pretty much silent.  I'll let you and Mel know how I get on.
Customs & Exiles | Theale Tattoo | A couple of Dinos (D/G), a Dony (D/G/Acc) and an Erika (Bb/Eb)

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2019, 06:21:23 PM »

Hi everyone, slight change for October's Q&A see below...

STOP PRESS! Chloë Mason (Alice Wheeldon's Great Granddaughter) is flying in from Australia to see Moirai's album launch THIS SATURDAY at Derby Folk Weekender (tickets available derbylive.co.uk).

And as if that wasn't exciting enough, she's graciously agreed to do a live Q&A discussion with us over on our YouTube channel! Save the date: October 7th 2019 7-8pm BST - (this will replace my monthly #AskMelonBox just for October)

We'd love you to be part of the discussion! This is your chance to ask us and Chloë questions relating to Alice Wheeldon, the case she's working on to clear Alice's name, and our album 'Framed: The Alice Wheeldon Story'. We'll post a link to the live feed closer to the time and you can submit your questions directly on the live feed.

Please donate to our Kickstarter to help us spread Alice's story - if we don't make our target, we get nothing!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alicewheeldonstory/framed-the-alice-wheeldon-story-help-us-spread-the-word
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Serenellini 233 Deluxe D/G set up by Steve Dumpleton, Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/course/pick-up-play-lets-get-started/

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2019, 03:41:30 PM »

Remember: tonight's #AskMelonBox becomes #AskMoirai as I've given the time over to host a conversation with Chloë Mason - Alice Wheeldon's great granddaughter! You can still ask me questions about Melodeons though 😂

https://youtu.be/LgiPULagz_E
Serenellini 233 Deluxe D/G set up by Steve Dumpleton, Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/course/pick-up-play-lets-get-started/

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2019, 09:34:01 AM »

The return of #AskMelonBox TOMORROW (not tonight - I'm off to see Trio Dhoore!) over on my YouTube channel. I'll be awaiting your questions from 7pm.

Get your melodeon related questions ready - this month's theme:
PRACTICE SKILLS SPECIAL - tips and tricks on how to maximise your practice productivity!

Find the interactive stream live here: https://youtu.be/YJwIjF8Ec7k

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.