Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it too early to be thinking about Whitby?  (Read 4265 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Is it too early to be thinking about Whitby?
« on: March 21, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »

I suppose the answer is "Probably", but I'm in an entirely new situation and want to strike while the iron is hot.

Due to a monumental cock-up by EgyptAir, we're stuck in Egypt for an extra 6 days. Then, due to packing everything away and spraying our home there with anti-ant stuff (it's disgusting, honestly) we couldn't go back there from the airport, after hanging about, trying to re-jig our travel plan, from 05.30 till 09.30 and being completely worn out; we booked into the Winter Palace for the rest of the day and last night. It's expensive, and by the time we'd had an evening meal on room service, we'd spent half of the cash my beloved had put away for a shortish August break in Prague which she hadn't yet booked.

Then.........this morning, while we were getting the flat habitable again, she suggested a couple of days in Whitby, instead, knowing full well that it was at the time of the Folk Festival!!!!!!! This is the beloved who has not accompanied me to anything folky since shortly after we married 46 years ago, it's miraculous! So, you see just how important this is, fellow Melnetters?

Which two days would be likely to be the most beneficial for a (hard-up) folk song and melodeon nut? I know it's a bit Mystic Meg-ish from this distance in time, but she wants to try and get somewhere central and nice to stay before they're all booked up.

Please help, if you're able?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Is it too early to be thinking about Whitby?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 01:57:47 PM »

Accomodation is more likely to be your problem, than days of the week.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Howard Jones

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 02:01:09 PM »

I believe the programme is available now, either by post or by downloading an app.

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 02:11:54 PM »

Goathland or Pickering are nice and central, you could busk your way in on the  NYMR Edward, certificated ant fumigated buskers are popular  ;)
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 02:19:40 PM »

Don't think there are any late trains though.

SJ

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Mike-T

• Good talker
  • 1930s Hohner B C C#, D/GAcc Benny, 2.5 Beltuna
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 02:32:21 PM »

"Don't think there are any late trains though."
 Surely that should'nt be a problem?  most night's at folk week  can never remember how  we got home next morning! :o  >:E

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 02:38:34 PM »

try and get somewhere central and nice to stay before they're all booked up.

Now would be a good time to book accom for the 2019 folk week  >:E

(a little more helpfully, perhaps) purely from the accommodation point of view you might have better luck looking for somewhere Monday to Friday than the first weekend of the festival when the town is packed.

As far as the festival is concerned, one day is much like another with lots of good stuff going on everywhere.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 03:38:21 PM »

Thank you for your replies, I've never done anything like this before so any helpful advice is really appreciated.
My PA (no not that sort) has found a nice, affordable place which seems to have availability, with parking, near the railway station. (That's in case we cannot borrow Number-One-Son's car!)
I must admit that I was hoping to possibly catch some (free?) Melnet stuff, as well, which might not appear in the official programme. I remember asking about Melnet meets last year, but it all turned out to be academic anyway, as I couldn't manage to get there.
Buying a programme is the best thing, do you think? Hopefully, some of the Melnet things will be publicised on here before the time?
You wouldn't believe how excited I'm getting.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »

Dear Confused. Definitely recommend getting a programme. Also suggest you familiarize yourself with the location of the venues and the walking in between. Bear in mind there are one or two hilly bits... What looks flat on the map often isn’t.
Finding a session that suits your tune interest and playing ability is not as easy as one might think IMHO and I would recommend planning to go to the lunch time sessions at the Conservative Club, where the cost is just a donation in a tin. I would also try the Middle Earth and other pubs like the Elsinore. I would also pick the brains of anyone you meet who has been a few times and is a melodeon player, though we will all vary in our preferences. Any research you do will pay off in the end, I feel. As Anahata has said the days are pretty similar.  Unless you like West Gallery playing  which can be prepped for on the Saturday and done on the Sunday . Also bear in mind workshops are usually cumulative so you may not want to go to a last one of any of them on its own.
M
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:06:41 PM by Mike Carney »

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 04:05:50 PM »

Melnet stuff isn't on the official programme. Melnet meet was in The George last year, where there was also a free session every lunchtime, and it's only a spit and a stagger from the station.

SJ

Steve Coombes

• Good talker
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 04:30:02 PM »

It's been quite a few years since I've been to Whitby Folk Week but everything Mike said brought back good memories.
It was at Whitby that I've come across a B&B which had an 11pm curfew, best to  avoid such places me thinks.
Tommy D/G

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 05:23:52 PM »

Please keep it coming, although I'm thick, it will sink in eventually.

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 05:30:44 PM »

Never too early to start thinking about Whitby . If you have only 2 days -  don't come for the first Saturday as events only start at 12 on the Saturday . I made that mistake the first time I went to Whitby.  There's lots of sessions  - in the pubs - programmed and in programmed.  The programme is useful in determining what flavour of  session you want.   
Paul
Paul
Location NE Fife

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »

I suppose the answer is "Probably", but I'm in an entirely new situation and want to strike while the iron is hot.

Blimey, too early?  We started planning for this summer's festivals last summer. It's never too early to plan festivals.

Hope the planned accommodation comes off - you're really lucky finding anything this late.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Spectacled Warbler

• Good talker
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 06:08:30 PM »

What sort of events are you looking for Edward?   Concerts? workshops? sessions?    What type of music / song?

Joy

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 06:17:28 PM »

My melodeon workshops are usually Monday - Thursday mornings. (Still subject to confirmation for 2018)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 06:43:54 PM »

"What sort of events", Specky?

Why do people always ask me hard questions?
I don't really know, at this stage; I think I'm still in shock at my beloved's change of heart!
I'd be delighted if I could attend, and glean something from, Steve's workshop/s, and I enjoy listening to folk songs and singing. Sessions would be a new experience, but I can only stand so much in the way of instrumental only music. I suppose that when I get the programme I'll see what the various charges are, and work from there, with my PA's guidance!

Steve, I'd feel blessed to be a student of yours, if even for just a short spell. Is a 1-row in G at all suitable for any of your workshops?

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 07:49:03 PM »

Usually decent evening singarounds in Station Hotel, which again is handy for where you are based.

SJ

Mike-T

• Good talker
  • 1930s Hohner B C C#, D/GAcc Benny, 2.5 Beltuna
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 08:21:01 PM »

I used to do Whitby every year from early 70s to late 90's, lived there to make it easier for 18 years, in all the comments so far this year  and those made last year I've not seen any mention of sessions at the plough, is it a closed shop there now?  used to be 3 to four sessions at the same time in there.

Mike.

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 10:46:20 PM »

"This is the beloved who has not accompanied me to anything folky since shortly after we married 46 years ago, it's miraculous!"

Blimey Edward, the misses will be attending our PlayGroup next!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal