Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it too early to be thinking about Whitby?  (Read 4267 times)

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
Re: Is it too early to be thinking about Whitby?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 12:49:10 AM »

;D once the programme comes out I'll get a copy and post a list of melodeon/ concertina friendly events  :||: ;D :|||:  This year there is no clash with the Regatta  http://whitbyregatta.co.uk/  10th to 13th of August though if you can get to Whitby for Regatta Monday ( 13th) the firework display is always superb.
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Spectacled Warbler

• Good talker
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 03:52:38 AM »

Edward J - looks as though you've got yourself a good plan for finding what you need.  I hope you both enjoy Whitby, it's a great festival.

Mike T, the Plough is a Sam Smith's pub and the boss of the brewery banned music, live or recorded, from his pubs, in 2004 - landlords who allowed this were threatened with the sack.

Joy

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 07:27:25 AM »

Steve, I'd feel blessed to be a student of yours, if even for just a short spell. Is a 1-row in G at all suitable for any of your workshops?
I run a beginners workshop in the mornings on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. This starts off almost at absolute beginners level and progresses gradually each day. It's aimed at 2-row D/G players, so you'd be OK with some of the tunes in G, but there will be a 2 or 3 tunes in the key of D which would be tricky on a one-row in G. Your best bet would be to try to borrow a 2-row D/G box for the workshops.

The Thursday morning workshop is aimed at intermediate/advanced players and in previous years has concentrated on one-row technique in the key of D.

All this is still rather speculative, as the Whitby organisers are notoriously slow at getting workshops sorted, and I haven't even received a contract yet (although I've had informal confirmation that I am booked as a tutor for the week).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 07:36:15 AM »

At least the Regatta doesn't clash this year.

Never too early,I booked my cottage over Christmas and took option for next year and booked my stall first week in Jan
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:39:01 AM by pete /acorn »
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 07:51:41 AM »

Thanks everyone.

Steve, the Thursday 1 row thing sounds right up my street, although I'm not sure how "intermediate" I might be! I could bring my 1 row in D (as well as the one in G for anything else where I might be brave enough to have a go) as long as people wouldn't laugh at it's age and decrepitude.

But, as you say, it's all "rather speculative" as yet. I think I should perhaps ask my PA to book the Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and keep my fingers crossed.

It seems that we'll be staying at Bagdale Hall; does anyone have experience of the place?

Although the website says that you can apply for a programme now, judging by the posts from AnnC and Steve_freereeder, it would seem that the final programme is not yet decided upon, therefore it would seem that anything available now would be a waste of space. When is the actual programme available?

One last thing, will a day ticket include the price of any workshops on that particular day?

I'm sooooo pleased I found this forum when I first grappled with the instrument!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 08:19:55 AM »

Steve, the Thursday 1 row thing sounds right up my street, although I'm not sure how "intermediate" I might be! I could bring my 1 row in D (as well as the one in G for anything else where I might be brave enough to have a go) as long as people wouldn't laugh at it's age and decrepitude.

But, as you say, it's all "rather speculative" as yet. I think I should perhaps ask my PA to book the Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and keep my fingers crossed.
My earlier posts describe previous years' workshops. I submit a list of workshops which I can offer to the organisers and they choose from my list, depending on what other tutors are offering. My workshops could be for melodeon, concertina or all instruments. You now know as much as I do!

It seems that we'll be staying at Bagdale Hall; does anyone have experience of the place?
Good location. Everything within a (relatively) short walk. However, there are hills in Whitby.

Although the website says that you can apply for a programme now, judging by the posts from AnnC and Steve_freereeder, it would seem that the final programme is not yet decided upon, therefore it would seem that anything available now would be a waste of space. When is the actual programme available?
Take the website information with a pinch of salt at this stage. The printed programme booklet with details of everything which goes on during the week will usually be available from July-ish onwards. It's worth spending the money to get it. There is a huge range of events going on each day. You can't plan properly without it. The information doesn't get put on the website as sales of the programme contribute significantly to funding the week. 

One last thing, will a day ticket include the price of any workshops on that particular day?
Yes.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 08:32:55 AM »

Thanks again, Steve. It would seem that most of my concerns have now been covered as far as possible at this juncture.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

benammiswift

• Regular debater
  • Squeezing for Derbyshire
    • benammiswift.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 01:39:05 PM »

I can confirm that the final programme isn't out yet, they're still booking/finalizing artists and putting things together
Castagnari Handry 18

Wicked Lady

• Dino Baffetti Art 86, Castagnari Tommy, BP2
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 06:33:56 PM »

And don't forget that the lovely May runs a beginners session every lunchtime (1pm) in the Spa Foyer; this will be in the official programme.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal