Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chromatic/Continental Button Accordion: Is it worth a try?  (Read 8378 times)

nemethmik

Chromatic/Continental Button Accordion: Is it worth a try?
« on: August 17, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »

I've learned from some of the posts that a number of the forum members love playing their CBA. Some says that since having the CBA, she/he cannot put it down, and it is her/his favorite instrument. I've ordered and read two tutor books (in French) about CBAs and I was on the point of ordering a CBA after several weeks of searching, when today I had a talk to a Belgian friend, who is an excellent diatonic (C/G) accordion player, and he told me that he learned CBA for a year and he found that CBA is not for him. He honestly told me, that I'm just going to waste my time on trying to learn CBA. I am terribly dissappointed today. I liked many of the concepts in a CBA just I love many of the concepts of a diatonic accordion. Is anyone here who shares his (my Belgian friend's) opinion about CBAs?
Thank You Friends,
Miki
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:18:36 PM by Miklos Nemeth »

HallelujahAl

Re: Chromatic/Continental Button Accordion: Is it worth a try?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 02:47:52 PM »

I think Miki that you'll have to give it try because otherwise you'll just never know whether that is the one for you. What system did your Belgian friend play btw? Because there are some differences in systems - and was your friend playing a Belgian Stradella bass system, which with the best will in the world is still totally incomprehensible to me - though it was the preferred system of great master accordionists like Gigi Stok etc?
AL

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 02:53:38 PM »

I've always wanted to try the system, and ?f you don't try then you'll never know! You could of course try the Br?t?sh Chromat?c system ?nstead.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 05:10:39 PM »

...   He honestly told me, that I'm just going to waste my time on trying to learn CBA. ...

Uhh, so he knows you so well that he can honestly say what suits you and what you will like or not? Personally I'd stop listening to a person who ever said to me something like that.

I like CBA, though played it only since last Christmas. Currently learning Tico Tico with all the basses, at slow tempo still, don't have much time to practise at the time being. I'm not going to toss  my B/C for good though it has been resting in it's case since. I probably will get later one with Stradella basses, or perhaps B/C/C#.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:13:21 PM by risto »
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »

One other thing. It also depends on what kind of music you want to play. I, for instance, want to be able to play a broad scale of different music in any key. The next tune I have in mind to learn is 'Yesterday' by Beatles (EDIT: an arrangement for accompanying singing). For trad music, boxes with diatonic rows could work better, haven't tried any Irish tunes yet, ones I learned with B/C. I could expect them to work as well as with PA. I've transcribed some tunes played by Alan Kelly, an Irish PA player whose style I like.  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 06:16:44 PM by risto »
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 06:12:01 PM »

I find the C system on the CBA easy enough to tinker about on. Everything seems to be where you need it,  Never tried the B system.

Nothing beats the British Chromatic tho!  Better dynamics and less wrong buttons to push
Black Shand Morino

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 08:39:37 PM »

Nothing beats the British Chromatic tho!  Better dynamics and less wrong buttons to push

All this pain will be worthwhile!!!!
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

HallelujahAl

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 09:27:10 PM »

All this pain will be worthwhile!!!!
Aye! That's it, a Positive Mental Attitude ;D

Keithypete.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 01:25:59 AM »

Not sure how or why I missed this but here is my two penneth. I had a C system continental chromatic for a couple of years alongside my various push/pull things. I sold it because I didn't think I would EVER be able to get the left hand going. Not much point in having 72 bass and not using them.The right hand was going OK ish. It seems to me to be the ideal point to alight between melodeon and P.A. I think the system is absolutely brilliant - you only need to learn 3 patterns to be able to play in any key. The 4th and 5th rows are for fancy fingering etc. If you can crack it you will love it. Saltarelle make GORGEOUS AND I MEAN UTTERLY BEAUTIFUL 4 & 5 row machines but they are not cheap. I'm not sure if they are still about but I think 'Willie Messerschmitt's Comedy Oompah band' had a 5row player. Go for it.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Keithypete.

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 10:54:29 PM »

This worth a look. Not a melodeon but a lovely tune played on a 4 row continental chromatic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qt-ohf6jUo
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 07:48:14 AM »

This worth a look. Not a melodeon but a lovely tune played on a 4 row continental chromatic.
Yes this one's been around the forum a couple of times - I have put a version of the sheet music up on my blogsite. Great tune.
AL

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »

This worth a look. Not a melodeon but a lovely tune played on a 4 row continental chromatic.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qt-ohf6jUo
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 05:43:08 AM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 12:35:58 AM »

[/quote]

Interestingly Alan Kelly plays a very nice looking wooden Saltarelle piano accordion, similar style than the wooden Saltarelle CBA Dominic Riviere uses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmdNxlDiZSI&NR=1

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 08:35:32 AM »

Hi,
If you get a chance Andy Cutting plays a great version of this tune.
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

nemethmik

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 01:39:30 PM »

don't mind the cost and weight - a continental C or B system is a really good investment. And better made early, before you come to love melodeonism.  It's yet another learning curve, but it opens up the whole wider realm  of music. One fingering for any key - very neat!
Thank's for the advice. I already love melodeonism, and I like playing my diatonic boxes more and more. Shall I upgrade my two-reed Saltarelle to a three-reed Eric Martin for "best sound"; or, shall I go for a four-reed CBA? That's my dilemma, and thank you for your comments.
Miki

melodeon

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 03:59:05 PM »

one word

W E I G H T

Larry Anthony

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 08:53:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal