Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: box in C, Erica ?  (Read 1132 times)

Nickk

box in C, Erica ?
« on: March 23, 2018, 06:52:48 PM »

howdy all, I have had my one row pokerwork for nearly a year now and am getting on great with it, I have played musical instruments including harmonica most of my life so, I found it quite straightforward for my own needs (accompanying my singing, few simple Irish tunes and recording) the box is in G and, I am finding I can play some D stuff too, both good keys for my stuff, however, I would like to do a few songs in C now, would buying another pokerwork in C be the answer as I am pretty familiar with the layout, I have seen a couple around with spoon basses and stops but think I may miss the F on the bass which the ones I have seen lack ! I am thinking of trying an Erica C/F for the greater choice of notes, would this in your opinion be the way to go and, is it a step up from the pokerwork which to be honest is a fab little thing but recording becomes a bit of a chore with all the clicking of the bass notes in particular, is an Erica seen to be a better instrument ? thanks in advance for any help you can give. Nick.

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
Re: box in C, Erica ?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:14:05 PM »

Having recently acquired an Erica in C/F without accidentals, it has low notes, I have now decided to get a D/G one as well - I find the C/F light enough to play for considerable lengths of time, and I can play quite quickly.
My first D/G is a Barcarole - which is hard work to play, and responds more slowly - it has increased my fitness level in the time I have had it. There are quite a few similar boxes around. Made by Weltmeister - not all have the Barcarole name but they are identical in appearance otherwise. They look rather like a pokerwork. The bass buttons can be pushed in too. The Erica is a definite improvement.

On the Erica the bass buttons are on a slope, which is nice.
I am not up on the musical theory of the various boxes - my daughter - Gena Crisman - was encouraging me to have both Ericas altered to 4th button start with low notes AND accidentals which would be nice.
Yes the pokerwork has inbuilt percussion - but that is what it has - it is like the skreeee of fingers moving on guitar strings, part of the performance.

Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: box in C, Erica ?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 10:20:05 PM »

You might consider a D/G with accidentals
Giving you the keys your playing with the key of C using the accidentals.
You could easily play up and down the row, same as what your doing with the one row.
Then expand on that with some cross row.
Any box could be set up to eliminate or lessen the clack if you want.
Also a 2.5 D/G could work.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal