Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Streamlined" accordions and their 1937 beginnings  (Read 9210 times)

triskel

"Streamlined" accordions and their 1937 beginnings
« on: March 27, 2018, 03:30:43 AM »

Streamlining became "all the rage" in the 1930s, in the name of improved performance and efficiency, for railway locomotives/trains, planes, cars, buses and caravans etc., and started to be applied to accordions in the late 1930s - with their decoration also starting to echo such modern Art Deco and technical styles, rather than older, more Roccoco, ones.

I think you only have to look at the style of the front end of this 1936 "coffin nose" Cord

or the lines of this 1937 "Crusader" steam locomotive

to see elements of styling that then got echoed on accordions...

The earliest evidence I've found, from collecting/studying old catalogues, advertisements, accordion magazines, photos and other dated sources, is that coupler switches in the grille, slotted grilles, and body streamlining, appear to have all started with Dallape's 1937 catalogue (which I got a copy of recently). They do not seem to have been found on accordions prior to that date, and must have looked SHOCKINGLY "Modernistic" at the time!  :o

Here are scans of the (relatively basic) "Artist" model Dallape listing from that 1937 catalogue,
including a description of the "Dallape switching mechanism" - perfectly illustrating the "birth" of the modern accordion:

Scandalli followed suit with their 1938 models, first announced in October 1937.

"Exhilarating in its modernity" - The new "Symphony" Scandalli:

(Accordion Times, October 1937)

The new Scandalli Scott Wood '4-Special':

(Accordion Times, November 1937)

Wurlitzer in the U.S. patented a streamlined accordion model of new construction on Oct. 19, 1938: U.S. Patent US2185984

Whilst Settimio Soprani advertised this "Ultra Modern!" high-end "Grand" model in 1939:

(Accordion Times, August 1939)

Prior to the introduction of these features, early couplers were levers on the back of the keyboard (though push-in master switches in the keyboard edge might be found on more-expensive models), grilles were ornately fretcut, or stamped out, and accordions were much squarer and sharper in shape.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: "Streamlined" accordions and their 1937 beginnings
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »

Nice post Stephen. I started a topic a few years ago on the echoes between art deco and the curved bodies and parallel ribs on the grille of e.g. Hohner Ericas, complete with pics of cars from the era, but cannot find it now.

pgroff

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 03:11:05 PM »

Great stuff Stephen

I seem to remember early streamlining in Excelsiors (NY) from 1936, but possibly not as rounded as your Dallape example.

PG

triskel

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 03:26:02 PM »

Thanks Stiamh, it's a subject I mention quite often, but Scandalli and Wurlitzer were my earliest reference points until I recently got that fascinating 1937 Dallape catalogue - which has prompted me to post this thread.

Hohner, and the other German makers, lagged behind rather in all this, which seems to have been driven more by the American market and Italian makers. The earliest "fully-streamlined" Hohner that I know of is the "Shand Special" that Venanzio Morino built specially for Jimmy Shand in 1939, and got delivered just before the start of World War 2:

But Hohner were decidedly "after the event" in using those Art Deco "waterfall" grilles on their Erica, Corso and Corona models that only came out in 1955-6.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 03:32:33 PM »

I have one of these Hohner's Morino which has some streamlined features, including almost no visible external fixings.  Tool me quite a while to find my way inside!.  I fancy this one might be from around the same period as the Shand Special,  What do you think Stephen?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

triskel

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 03:40:15 PM »

Great stuff Stephen

I seem to remember early streamlining in Excelsiors (NY) from 1936, but possibly not as rounded as your Dallape example.

PG

Thanks Paul, I'd obviously be very interested to see pictures of any Excelsiors from that time, but various firms did start to make somewhat more rounded "semi-streamlined" instruments in the late '30s. Whilst those Dallape ones were the earliest outright streamlined models I'm aware of, and with the grille switches as an important ingredient too.

Apparently Charles Nunzio was invited to go to Italy as a consultant to advise Settimio Soprani on what the American market demanded in an "artist" model accordion in 1937, and "automatic switches on the grill" were something he considered vital.

pgroff

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 04:39:18 PM »

Great stuff Stephen

PG

Thanks Paul, I'd obviously be very interested to see pictures of any Excelsiors from that time, but various firms did start to make somewhat more rounded "semi-streamlined" instruments in the late '30s. Whilst those Dallape ones were the earliest outright streamlined ones I'm aware of, and with the grille switches as an important ingredient too.

Apparently Charles Nunzio was invited to go to Italy as a consultant to advise Settimio Soprani on what the American market demanded in an "artist" model accordion in 1937, and "automatic switches on the grill" were something he considered vital.

Hi Stephen,

Agreed, and the Excelsiors ca 1936 do *not* meet your criterion of switches on the grille!

PG

triskel

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 05:58:37 PM »

What do you think Stephen?

I think I'd see that one as more of a "highly advanced" Swiss model Theo, and "smooth" rather than "streamlined". Datewise it'd be similar to ones he made in the mid-1930s, so before streamlining came in.

It's a gorgeous instrument though - I was sorely tempted when it was for sale...

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 07:15:24 PM »

I have another one ...
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 08:26:34 PM »

Not sure if it's the right date but its got the car like grill
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

triskel

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 08:52:50 PM »

It's the right sort of grille material, only turned through 90 degrees, but there's nothing really "streamlined" about any of it, and it'll be late 1940's/early 1950's.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 09:19:18 PM »

It's the right sort of grille material, only turned through 90 degrees, but there's nothing really "streamlined" about any of it, and it'll be late 1940's/early 1950's.

:'(  ;)

I see what your saying.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 02:02:03 AM »

Three Hohners. BbEb Preciosa, same size Regina I 12 bass, big brother Morino I in BbEb 3 voice.

Stephen- I believe these are way earlier than the 1955-6 Erica, Corso and Corona models. The first two have serial numbers 726474 and 684623. Any way to date them from the numbers?

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 02:17:01 AM by hickory-wind »
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 02:38:27 AM »

The Morino has a jail cell kinda look, probably would be tough to bend those bars though.

triskel

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 08:03:50 AM »

Stephen- I believe these are way earlier than the 1955-6 Erica, Corso and Corona models. The first two have serial numbers 726474 and 684623. Any way to date them from the numbers?

I'd reckon they're from the early 1940s, before WW2 stopped production and Hohner went over to making something louder (detonators! :(). But I wouldn't regard them as having the rounded, flowing, flush-fitting lines that make something "streamlined", they're only trying to hint at it.

However, a rare wartime (September 1941) French Hohner catalogue that I have is illustrated with models of Verdi and Tango that are getting more streamlined, and an Organola "Musette II" 3-row with a very similar grille to your Morino.

There are no couplers in the grille on them yet though - but that would perhaps have been too challenging for them to achieve under the circumstances of the time.

Hohner Germany can tell you when different serial numbers date from.

hickory-wind

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 12:26:53 PM »

for a fee...

If you own a vintage Hohner accordion, or are interested in buying or selling one, you’ll no doubt be interested in establishing its precise age and provenance. If you provide us with the serial number and exact model designation, we will establish the age of your accordion for a fixed fee of €25 / US$30 and send you a certificate to attest this.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »

That's all very well, but I've never seen a serial number on any of my Hohners.  ???
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

triskel

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 04:03:21 PM »

for a fee...

If you want the exact date, yes. But I'd reckon if you said "circa 1941" you'd be within a year, or two at the very most...

hickory-wind

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 04:15:03 PM »

That's all very well, but I've never seen a serial number on any of my Hohners.  ???

Only present on some Hohner models. Not on Pokerworks and many other low end models.

Scott
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal