Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which box to start with?  (Read 2471 times)

Cam Button

• Good talker
Which box to start with?
« on: March 27, 2018, 11:41:02 PM »

Hello,
I have friends who participate in Scottish country dancing, and singing in Gaels. I would like to learn to play the same type of music, but I'm unsure of which keyboard / key to start learning.

I have a b/c, c//f club, a/d, and a g/c/f.

I would like an opinion about which key / layout you would recommend for learning this type of music.

Thank you

Cam   
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:58:33 AM by Cam Button »

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: Which box to start with?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 02:30:31 AM »

Some of the Scottish players play B/C/C# so B/C would be closest and a starting point if you move to a three row. George will be along shortly to explain why this is the best system ;)
I would think that the cross row style of play on the B/C would lend itself to the next row C# when added.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 09:02:09 AM »

Probably best with Chromatic B/C because generally Tunes tend to be in sharp keys and songs are in flat keys, so you need full range of notes. However, this limits basses you can play. If accompanying singers then often best not to play the tune, just chords or simple harmony with bit of tune between verses etc.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 09:13:19 AM »

Nowadays by far the most popular box for Scottish Country Dance is piano accordion.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

george garside

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »

if you are reasonably competent on the BC  and  not bothered aabout the bass (assuming yours is standard 8 bass rather than stradella)  you  should be fine for most Scottish dance music in CGD&A and can chuck in F and E if required.

Developing skills on BC will provide a natural lead in to playing a BCC#  eg a 48 bass 3 voice casali if you want a one or a 96 bass gaelic if you want 4 voice.

have a look at you tube  Brandon Mcphee  to see just what can be done on the 3 row box.

Coming at it from a completely different direction  if   you  want to start from scratch again  the continental chromatic 5 row  is  far easier to play than a piano box , unless you already have good piano/keyboard skills in which case a piano box might be the way to go.

Another option if you want to keep the weight right down  would be a double ray with 12 stradella bass, same weight as the more common 8 bass version but with bass for CGDA and enough to get by with in F and E.  The 12 bass 3 voice  trichord  is still very light indeed  ( same as corona)  and provides treble for  12 keys with the bass the same as the 12 bass double ray

hope this helps!?

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Cam Button

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 06:40:50 PM »

Thank you much for sharing your knowledge. I'll keep on at the b/c box.

george garside

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 09:10:22 AM »

sounds like a good plan!

george ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

byteofthecherry

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 09:24:22 PM »

Nowadays by far the most popular box for Scottish Country Dance is piano accordion.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
1 X Corona II(ADG)..1X Early 'Darth Vader' Corona IIIR (Eb/Bb/Ab)..2 X Erica(DG/CF)..1X Club VictoriaX(CF)..1 X Club II(Bb/Eb) 4 X Liliput (DG(red)/BbEb(purple)/GC(purple)..2 X preciosa(D/G(green)/Bb/Eb(Grey)+ lots of guitars/banjos/saxes/brass/synthy 'stuff'

SHTUM

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 06:32:14 PM »

I am also a fan of Irish music. If you want to hear whats possible to play on a semitone box ( b/c, c/c# etc), buy Mairtin O'Connors CD- "The Road West"
After listening to it for several years, I still think its amazing.
I like to play music from all countries,but this blew my socks off - Love it!
                                                            John -  Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal