Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pokerwork Gaskets.  (Read 1544 times)

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
Pokerwork Gaskets.
« on: March 29, 2018, 05:57:37 PM »

I have just acquired most of an almost new, Chinese Pokerwork box, courtesy of a fellow melnetter, and I am planning to install a set set of old or even "Vintage" reeds in it. The FondoPalletteboardsoundboardthing has the gasket for the reedblocks attached to it, the reedblocks  I'm planning to use also have gasket material attached,.....What is my best plan of action:-
                    1     Remove reedblock gasket retaining Fondo gasket.
                    2     Remove fondo gasket retaining reedblock gasket
                    3    Leave both in place

If it helps the reedblock gaskets are a little worn, but the fondo gasket, being virtually new is pristine.
Cheers    Henry.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Pokerwork Gaskets.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 06:01:16 PM »

I would clean off the new reed blocks, as that lessens the chance of damaging the fondo.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:02:45 PM »

I have always removed the gasket from the reed blocks, mainly because it is easier. Scrape off as much of the gasket as you can then sand on a flat surface to true up the face of the block. It may be necessary to add some thickness to the tongue of the reed block that fits under the casework to ensure a tight fit.

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 07:57:49 PM »

Out of curiosity, how would you approach the opposite problem - no gaskets on either.

Where is it best to place the Olovisc gasket from CGM - fondo or blocks?

I think my long term project box sitting on the shelf will have this challenge.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 09:06:28 PM »

In that case I woouldput gasket on the block, just because it’s a bit more accessible.  Stick on a full sheet, then cut the coles out with a scalpel.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 10:48:29 PM »

In that case I woouldput gasket on the block, just because it’s a bit more accessible.  Stick on a full sheet, then cut the coles out with a scalpel.

I did it the other way but as I had the casework without any of the mechs fitted so it was easy enough.

tirpous

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 12:45:56 AM »

Quote from: Theo on Yesterday at 09:06:28 PM

I did it the other way but as I had the casework without any of the mechs fitted so it was easy enough.

Or one could compromise and put 1 gasket on the block and the other one on the fondo !   ;D

More seriously: I'm fixing a Pokerwork for a friend and one of the blocks seems to have warped so it leaks at the base.  I think I'll have to remove/replace the gasket from the block to fix it.  Wouldn't be necessary if the gasket was on the faceplate (fondo)...

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 01:29:44 AM »

On the recording king I just did some work on, the gasket was on the fondo on the treble side and on the blocks on the bass. Different colored material so maybe one of the sides was redone at one point.
Six of one - half dozen of the other.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:41 AM »

Exactly,  and fondos can warp too.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 06:38:08 PM »

Thank you all for the advice.   As suggested  I shall be removing the gasket material from the reed blocks and leaving it on the fondo.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal