Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for April 2018: Les Deux Freres  (Read 12343 times)

robotmay

Re: Tune of the Month for April 2018: Les Deux Freres
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 12:27:44 AM »

Here's a quick (in many ways!) version in Bb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpcAuJruLIY
The bellows on this box are a bit stiff (doesn't get played as often as my others) so it's pretty tricky to play long slow bars in a single direction, hence the slightly rapide performance. It's also drifting out of tune a bit, which is pretty noticeable in a bandoneon-tuned box ::)

If you're curious about the layout (attached), it's a slightly adapted Pariselle G/C layout. I swapped the top 4 basses around to make playing in Bb easier. The top G reversal (on the last button of the G row) is immensely useful.

Lovely version Robert. It sits very nicely on your box ... but very difficult to follow how you get there.   :(

Thanks! It's not the most logical looking way to play, but it is actually quite comfortable on that layout and I think Bb might be the tone sweet-spot on a G/C instrument :D

The way I learnt to play the Naragonia Bb tunes on a G/C box is unfortunately rather boring; I sat there with my keyboard layout printed out and tried out various ways of playing the notes in their book, for rather a long time until it started making sense. I knew that Toon played a similar-ish layout, which helped. It is very different to playing in the home keys though, and it varies so much based on layout that it won't be the same from box to box (which makes it hard to do a tutorial). The best way I can describe it is that it's very diagonal, in that you play across all three rows, and that the "home direction" is on the pull rather than the push (but that depends on layout).

I think Toon's tunes are quite a lot like Andy Cutting's in a way; what seems like a really difficult tune becomes quite comfortable once you figure out how they came up with it in the first place ;D

WjssBremner

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 06:00:03 PM »

I thought I may as well give the monthly tune a go to help me get more tunes under my belt.
Sadly my laptop's microphone and camera aren't great, plus I'm not totally happy with my chord work.
There is a longer version which accidentally had an improvised sequence in the middle https://youtu.be/keeqHQ9y2bs
and then a shorter one with the basic 2 As and Bs https://youtu.be/IYIBPfcuPyw
Both are played and a Beltuna Samuel II.

Any pointers would be happily received!
Thanks
Will

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 01:46:41 PM »

That's very nice, Will - and welcome to melodeon.net!
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 04:12:40 PM »

Trying to play this made me wish I'd voted for Tip Top Polka for TOTM! This is the best I could manage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMtUBpr2Fko

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 06:49:18 PM »

Mcgrooger, I'd say you did very well. It's a bit more accentuated than most of the other interpretations of this song but I have to say I like it like this. Maybe I'll have to try and give it another spin, just because of your and folkbluesandbeyond's renditions of the song.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »

OK, so I'm going to have two goes at this. This is the first, a warts-and-all first-taker to record my progress in learning the tune. I shall polish and practice and record it again at the end of the month (by which time I may also have found out what the hell is wrong with my microphone)

Les Deus Frères take 1.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 07:20:59 PM »

Mcgrooger, I'd say you did very well. It's a bit more accentuated than most of the other interpretations of this song but I have to say I like it like this. Maybe I'll have to try and give it another spin, just because of your and folkbluesandbeyond's renditions of the song.

Thank you Fred. You're very kind.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 08:09:51 PM »

OK, so I'm going to have two goes at this. This is the first, a warts-and-all first-taker to record my progress in learning the tune. I shall polish and practice and record it again at the end of the month (by which time I may also have found out what the hell is wrong with my microphone)

Les Deus Frères take 1.

I don't actually think anything is wrong with your microphone. You might consider taking a step back from it (or rather position it a bit further away) to avoid the clipping ("scratchy noises"). I think that should be about all you'd need to do to improve the sound quality. (:) Looking forward to your later recordings.

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 09:00:07 PM »

Fred, I've only just caught up with your recording. Really nice! (:)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 10:30:18 PM »

OK, so I'm going to have two goes at this. Les Deus Frères take 1.
I think that's a great idea. I've just picked the box up again, and have always admired the tune and their playing of it. It is unlikely that I will get back to proper playing for a while, so if it's ok, I'll have a go tomorrow at the main tune only to join the throng, and see if I can get around to the second section sometime too. Well played so far.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 10:40:07 PM »

OK, so I'm going to have two goes at this. Les Deus Frères take 1.
It is unlikely that I will get back to proper playing for a while, so if it's ok, I'll have a go tomorrow at the main tune only to join the throng...
Good stuff, Helena.
PlayandTeach. You are making comeback. That's nice. Are you still going to Hawes?

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 11:11:54 PM »

Nigel, isn't it about time you surprised us with a TOTM? I know you can play well, so that wouldn't be a valid excuse!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

playandteach

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 11:53:30 PM »

It is unlikely that I will get back to proper playing for a while, so if it's ok, I'll have a go tomorrow at the main tune only to join the throng...
PlayandTeach. You are making comeback. That's nice. Are you still going to Hawes?
I've pulled out of Wensleydale, though I regret the need. This is early days: ears still buzzing with noise such as car journeys, classrooms etc. so I can't see this as a cure. I can hope to make progress in distraction, so I'm just feeling the water with melodeons again. Don't want to end up one sandwich short of a picnic in any interpretation of that phrase. By the way, 'Are you still going to Hawes' is not a phrase I ever want my wife to hear on any grape vine.

Lyra

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »

This was the "big tune" at the Mydriase (Mill and Pig) summer school last August. There are various arrangements (in C) on their website https://www.stagemydriase.fr/photos-sons/photos-sons-stage-d-%C3%A9t%C3%A9/photos-son-2017/ scroll down below the pix.
There's also a recording of the whole school doing an arrangement. If you wonder WTF about half way through - it was improv/reaction to a graphic score. You really had to be there. (And even then  :-\ )

playandteach

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 01:22:12 PM »

Here is a version of Deux Freres
3rd time through is just chords, no basses. I had intended to use cross chording but lost my nerve with the red light on.

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2018, 02:03:42 PM »

Here is a version of Deux Freres
3rd time through is just chords, no basses. I had intended to use cross chording but lost my nerve with the red light on.
Lost your nerve? It showed bags of confidence - it's still there! Sad that you're not going to Hawes!
In answer to Edward's dig, watch TOTM (Rue des Pres) very soon. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:06:12 PM by Nigel »

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 04:24:27 PM »

With bated breath, Nigel! It wasn't a dig, by the way, it's just that we shouldn't be relying on poor old Pete to hold up the NE's end. And, I cannot think of anyone else I know to take up the baton while he's out of action.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Ellisteph

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 11:49:16 AM »

Usually play this in G but in light of recent events thought I'd play in F on my lovely Loffet C/F Pro.
https://youtu.be/s3yIdtghSb8
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »

Here's a recording we made a little while ago played on G/C melodeons:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dztbaPsU2A

Roland

Thoon

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2018, 01:04:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal