Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White Celluloid  (Read 2011 times)

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
White Celluloid
« on: April 03, 2018, 01:16:06 AM »

I'm having an accordion being built and am wanting to have it all white, but not so sure if it yellows quickly.   Is their a way to un-yellow the celluloid or perhaps to minimize the yellowing in the first place?   
Corona III x8

pgroff

Re: White Celluloid
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 01:47:28 AM »

Do modern instruments made in bright white celluloid turn yellow quickly? I have not seen this with the few modern examples I've owned, like the Ruggieri below bought some years ago (and not new at that time).  Instruments that are 50 or 80 years old do often seem more yellow. Actually I prefer that yellowish look myself, but in fact I think that some of these were probably yellowish when new.

PG

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 02:42:02 AM »

I believe this is the white celluloid Ruggieri box PG wanted to post above.
Sorry the pictures I save from this link don't expand. http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,18033.msg221159.html#msg221159
Go there if you want to expand the veiw.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:49:03 AM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

pgroff

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 04:12:45 AM »

Hi boxcall, yes indeed. Sorry, I was called away from the computer before I could post that pic & just returned to find you had stepped in. Teamwork!

PG

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:01:47 AM »

Should stay white for decades, UV will accelerate the process a bit.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »

I also play Drums, and almost all vintage white pearl drum wraps from the 40's or earlier have mellowed to a rather nice cream or honey colour. this is almost impossible to remedy, using a mild abrasive such as T cut or similar, then re-buffing can ameliorate it to some extent but nothing seems to restore it to its original.
More modern Wraps don't seem to suffer from the same problem, so I would imagine Accordion coverings are also less likely to be affected.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »

Hi boxcall, yes indeed. Sorry, I was called away from the computer before I could post that pic & just returned to find you had stepped in. Teamwork!

PG
Hi PG,
Sorry I didn't mean to step on your toes, I thought you were offline.
But yes "Teamwork!" (:)

Nice looking box!!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

pgroff

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 08:53:59 PM »

PG
Hi PG,
Sorry I didn't mean to step on your toes, I thought you were offline.
But yes "Teamwork!" (:)

Nice looking box!!

No toes bruised, I do appreciate that you saved me the trouble, & you totally read my mind.  Exactly the box I meant. You found the pics quicker than I could have!

Thanks again,

PG

byteofthecherry

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 11:37:44 PM »

I'm having an accordion being built and am wanting to have it all white, but not so sure if it yellows quickly.   Is their a way to un-yellow the celluloid or perhaps to minimize the yellowing in the first place?
Funny 'ol' world..I've a Telecaster in white that I put out in bright summer sun(well..I use the term loosely living in Somerset) every year for the last five waiting for it to start 'yellowing'   8)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:37:06 PM by byteofthecherry »
1 X Corona II(ADG)..1X Early 'Darth Vader' Corona IIIR (Eb/Bb/Ab)..2 X Erica(DG/CF)..1X Club VictoriaX(CF)..1 X Club II(Bb/Eb) 4 X Liliput (DG(red)/BbEb(purple)/GC(purple)..2 X preciosa(D/G(green)/Bb/Eb(Grey)+ lots of guitars/banjos/saxes/brass/synthy 'stuff'

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 12:32:18 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  Looks like I'm going with an all white Corona III.  8)
Corona III x8
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal