Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fubu Mazurka  (Read 2008 times)

Caroline

• Regular debater
    • carolineshipsey.co.uk
Fubu Mazurka
« on: April 04, 2018, 09:05:10 AM »

Can this be played on a D/G melodeon?
I found some dots for it and the A music is written written with two flats, the B changes to g, any advice welcome please.
I’ve found several versions of it being played on YouTube but if anyone here has a recording I would love to hear it.
Cheers,
Caroline

Howard Jones

Re: Fubu Mazurka
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »

I don't know the tune, but with the usual accidentals you should have all the melody notes to play in G minor.  In this particular tune there are no Ebs and the Fs are sharpened, so you only have to find the Bb outside the "usual" scale.  The problem with playing in G minor is the chords -  a version on The Session gives G min, C min and D chords. If your instrument will allow you to remove the thirds from the chords you may be able to fudge these.

The only way to find out is to try it  :|||:

arty

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:55:13 AM »

Paul Earwicker plays a D/G doesn’t he?  https://youtu.be/qpGjWDfARZs
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »

The Bflat is critical - makes all the difference in the tune I think. As for the bass end - you could just play the bass note without the chord in the A part if you don't have a stop to take out the thirds.
Thanks for reminding me about the tune - I've just tried it followed by Mazurka de Servant which seems to fit quite well.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »

Looked up the transcription on the session

X: 2
T: Fubu's
R: mazurka
M: 3/4
L: 1/8
K: Gmin
D2|"Gm"G2 GA Bd|"Cm"c3 d cA|"Gm"BG DG BG|"D"A^F DF AF|
"Gm"G2 GA Bd|"Cm"c3 d cA|"Gm"BG DG "D"A^F|"Gm"G4:|
K:G
GA|"G"B2 BA GF|"C"E4 AB|"D"cA FA cA|"G"B2 GD GA|
"G"B2 BA GF|"C"E4 AB|"D"c2 cA FA|"G"G4:|

The Bb is absolutely essential, but is nearly always available on 2 rows DGs as the top button on the  D row, pulled.

The A part is in a version of G minor, hence the Bb. Eb isn't used and the F is sharpened. The biggest issues are likely to be the lack of a G minor and C minor chord, so it's 5ths out (if option available) or stick to the bass button.

The B part is on G major. Shouldn't be a problem.

Off to learn it now.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 03:31:41 PM »

Thank you very much for this thread! That's a really lovely song which I accidentally just learned :)

Edit: And I just realised how well this tune goes together with a breton mazurka by Yann-Fanch Perroches that I've already been able to play before. http://www.cadb.org/res/tablatures/mazurque.pdf
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:38:29 PM by Fred »

Caroline

• Regular debater
    • carolineshipsey.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 06:27:11 PM »

Thanks to everyone who responded, much appreciated.

Caroline

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 07:03:16 PM »

This can be played in A  on a  DG box, provided you have chords without thirds, or just use basses.
Just play one note up from the G minor score. Feels more natural to me.

But also needed  would be the G# accidental  in bar 4 . I've got that on my Hascy at the top of the D row, so that may be standard.
(For the B music bar 3,  I've just found that it works to  play D on the push with a B bass, instead of the usual E chord.)

One of the truly great tunes, with that fantastic switch to the major in the B music. Glad it's getting a mention here.

Then there's the Fubu waltz, also a marvel.  They must have been quite something that band.

Sebastian

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 08:18:07 AM »

Or you could play the A part in E minor and the B part in G major.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 04:32:11 PM »

Or you could play the A part in E minor and the B part in G major.

You could, but it changes the effect of the switch from minor to major in the same pitch. The Gm A section seems to be quite straightforward and it's nice to get practice in finding that Bb.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 10:38:14 AM »

Interesting thing about this tune is that the B part sounds pretty good when played in minor key. When I first sight read/played this (on a PA) i mistakenly played it all in a minor key, liked it, then was dismayed when I look more closely at the dots and realised the B part is in maj, and not liking it as much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal