Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: One rows  (Read 12300 times)

Michael Montcombroux

One rows
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:12:12 PM »

Hello, I'm new around here, so bear with me, please.
After a hiatus of some years, I am thinking of returning to playing the melodeon. I used to own, among other boxes, a Castagnari Lilly and I am toying with the idea of getting a Castagnari one row, the Mélodéon model, not the Cajan.
The majority of the tunes I play are in G and I am assuming I should, logically, order a box tuned to that key. Is this correct thinking? Most of the one-rows I've come across seem to be in C.
Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Michael
Castagnari Brincu G/C

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: One rows
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 04:57:25 PM »

Hello, I'm new around here, so bear with me, please.

Fear not, Michael, we even bear with people who are quite old around here. Fortunately for me, among others. (:)

The majority of the tunes I play are in G and I am assuming I should, logically, order a box tuned to that key. Is this correct thinking?

Well, yes. But only if you need to play those tunes in G with other people, or sing above them in that key. Otherwise, you could play those tunes on a one-row in any other tuning.* 

A one-row in G is tuned lower than boxes in D or C (as opposed to higher). Nice growly sound. Will Castagnari make one for you in that tuning?

* Note also that on a D melodeon you can play some tunes in G - those that have no C in the tune (and there are quite a few, in trad music). You can also play G tunes that have no F# in them on a C box. And pentatonic tunes based on G on either a D or a C melodeon.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:00:43 PM by Stiamh »

Michael Montcombroux

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »

Thanks, Stiamh, for the comments. Maybe I'm wrong in expecting that Castagnari will make a one-row in G. From your remarks, it appears a D box would fit the bill. I know Castagnari makes boxes with that tuning. Since I play strictly for myself, the dogs and the wildlife, I am not committed to any particular tuning.
Michael
Castagnari Brincu G/C

mselic

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 06:12:58 PM »

I don’t know where you are based out of, but I know that O’Brien’s Music in St. John’s, Newfoundland has a Castagnari “Melodeon” in the key of G for sale, or at least they did the last time I checked in. I know they will ship instruments as well. I can get you more contact info if you like.

Have you ever played a Castagnari one-row? They take some getting used to, particularly because of the peculiar air button. The sound is also vastly different from most other one-rows.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »

Have you ever played a Castagnari one-row? They take some getting used to, particularly because of the peculiar air button.

This

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »

Folks who play C one-row (many Cajun musicians) play C, G and F on the instrument. Many Quebecois music players, and the few Irish single-row players, play D and G on the D single row. Its all a matter of learning how to work around the missing notes. Not saying its easy but it is doable. Key of G on a D single row is going to be a little easier than key of G on a C single row.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »

What sorts of music are you going to be playing? For Irish D seems the usual choice of 1 row, for English D, G and C all have their fans. I would suggest trying different makers before spending a lot of money, they can be very different!

melodeon

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 07:07:30 PM »

I very much like Castagnari Melodeons and have owned three.

I have recently sold my last one owing to the difficulty in operating the air button. 
I was able to "cope" with it until I had me thumb relocated, then impossible.

G can be played on a C box... minus the f#.. ergo "blues scale" .

G is not as useful as D or C. Simple as that.

Should you decide to sell it.. good luck.. not much call.

I would suggest playing one in D or C for a while to make sure you like one row.

Were I to buy a new one row, it would not be a Castganari and I have owned roughly 15 Castagnaris.. the one row is the only Castagnari that is challenging to play.. see comments on air button.

Beltuna may also be an option. Liberty Bellows had a Beltuna in G.. not sure if it is still there
(this is in NO way and endorsement of Liberty Bellows)

If you want a one row in G   try to find an older German made HOHNER  HA114 in that key. Light , fast, fun, and affordable compared to other options.

If I wanted to play in G  I'd buy a G/C two row.

triskel

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 07:11:11 PM »

Folks who play C one-row (many Cajun musicians) play C, G and F on the instrument. Many Quebecois music players, and the few Irish single-row players, play D and G on the D single row.

Just as the Cajuns play C one-row in C, G and F, Irish D-melodeon players play in the corresponding keys of D, A and G (the "fiddle" keys in fact) going back to the early 20th century recordings of John Kimmel and Peter Conlon. (Though Hohner were marketing G melodeons in Ireland in the 1930s, which would give you G, D and C.)

Its all a matter of learning how to work around the missing notes. Not saying its easy but it is doable. Key of G on a D single row is going to be a little easier than key of G on a C single row.

In Irish music, Johnny Connolly is the master of that!  :D

triskel

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 07:26:54 PM »

Mind you, if I ever have the money to buy another new melodeon it'll be a Bergflødt in G, tuned "just", like this fabulous one: "Bergflødt" Single-Row Melodeon / Diato á 1 rang / Énrader (Potpourri)

What a sound!  :o

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 08:38:49 PM »

Its all a matter of learning how to work around the missing notes. Not saying its easy but it is doable. Key of G on a D single row is going to be a little easier than key of G on a C single row.

In Irish music, Johnny Connolly is the master of that!  :D

Yes he is !!!

I would say playing in G on a C box shouldn't be any more difficult than playing in A on a D box.
I don't know for sure but was under the impression that the Cajun players play most of their stuff in G on a C box. Cross harp style?
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 10:00:57 PM »

Yes, Johnny Connolly is great! John O'Halloran is another marvelous single-row player.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 12:29:49 AM »

Since we're on the John ;) don't forget John Gannon He has a really strong feel to his music and of course Kimmel.
I do like Johnny O'Halloran also!!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

triskel

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 01:01:12 AM »

You'd almost think the Connemara people had a monopoly or something, don't forget my friend Bobby Gardiner (born just outside Lisdoonvarna, in North Clare) in all this - I love his music! ;)

He's playing a Hohner in G on this video clip: Bobby Gardiner and Johnny McDonagh 1982

triskel

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 01:18:51 AM »

And then I've another friend, Alan Morrisroe, originally from Charlestown, County Mayo, who visited me only yesterday. He has a large repertoire of old melodeon settings of tunes, which started with ones he got from his grandmother Catherine Gallagher (Catty Nell).

In this video he plays her favourite jigs on an antique Wilhelm Spaethe melodeon: Alan Morrisroe - My Grandmother's Favourite Jigs ;D

Edited to add make of melodeon.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 01:33:58 AM »

You'd almost think the Connemara people had a monopoly or something, don't forget my friend Bobby Gardiner (born just outside Lisdoonvarna, in North Clare) in all this - I love his music! ;)

He's playing a Hohner in G on this video clip: Bobby Gardiner and Johnny McDonagh 1982

I do have a fondness for connermara and its music, my moms parents were born there (:)
Yes Bobby is another great one, and He seems to have such a great personality and love for music!

Humors of glendart is a great melodeon tune, one of my favorites.

And then I've another friend, Alan Morrisroe, originally from Charlestown, County Mayo, who visited me only yesterday. He has a large repertoire of old melodeon settings of tunes, which started with ones he got from his grandmother Catherine Gallagher (Catty Nell).

In this video he plays her favourite jigs: Alan Morrisroe - My Grandmother's Favourite Jigs ;D

I really enjoyed the videos I,ve seen of Alan playing, do you know the name or names of the tunes he's playing there? Sounds familiar but then again a lot of them do.
He really gives the box and himself a workout (:)

tirpous

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 02:18:06 AM »

Quote from: triskel on Today at 01:18:51 AM

In this video he plays her favourite jigs: Alan Morrisroe - My Grandmother's Favourite Jigs ;D

I really enjoyed the videos I,ve seen of Alan playing, do you know the name or names of the tunes he's playing there? Sounds familiar but then again a lot of them do.
He really gives the box and himself a workout (:)

Nice video.  Somehow, the workout aspect reminds me of those videos with President Trump playing the box !

george garside

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 10:17:17 AM »

for some interesting 'one row' you tube videos   by  Anatoly Iaev  ( he is a russian  who plays 1 & 2 row melodeons and is also  a dab hand on the Shand Morino)  ?the only one in Russia. Plays Scottish, Irish and English music

just put in ' Anatoly Isaev  melodeon' to bring several of his videos up

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Michael Montcombroux

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 02:55:11 PM »

Thanks all for shedding light on the world of one-rows. I play mostly French trad with some Northumbrian tunes thrown in, as well as a sampling of tunes gathered from sites like this and The Session. I've played a one-row a little but I wasn't aware of the air button issue with the Castagnari. That sounds like a game changer, as well as choosing a box in G.
I have not committed myself to anything yet and I really appreciate all the helpful comments.
Michael
(Canada)
Castagnari Brincu G/C

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 03:16:09 PM »

Anatoly is a member here.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal