Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: One rows  (Read 12292 times)

mselic

Re: One rows
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »

I have gotten on so badly with thumb straps that I assume I am deformed in the thumb or hopelessly misinformed about how to use one. If you are using a thumb strap does the thumb sit behind the keyboard or is it in the thumb-groove, bracing the instrument?

People do both, but more often than not the thumb is pushing against the side of the keyboard (in the thumb-groove if there is one) to brace the box. That is how I use it.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

triskel

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2018, 08:17:03 PM »

If you are using a thumb strap does the thumb sit behind the keyboard or is it in the thumb-groove, bracing the instrument?

"You pays yer money and takes yer choice" on that one, though I've always placed my thumb against the rounded keyboard edge, bracing the instrument.

You don't get thumb grooves on one-row melodeons, and I'd find them totally incompatible with the way I hold the instrument...

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2018, 08:33:03 PM »

You don't get thumb grooves on one-row melodeons, and I'd find them totally incompatible with the way I hold the instrument...

Me too.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

mselic

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 09:23:40 PM »

Me too.

Count me in, too. Often my thumb gravitates to the rounded edge of the keyboard and a thumb-groove would be a hindrance.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 10:27:14 PM »

Of course it's all horses for courses! If I were a manufacturer, I'd make thumb grooves, thumb straps and one or two shoulder straps all options in the build. Plus, I'd also offer an extended keyboard for those with dogey joints, as below. After all; the customer's always right, isn't he/she?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2018, 10:31:45 PM »

After all; the customer's always right, isn't he/she?

No!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2018, 11:20:58 PM »

You're probably right there, Mr Bailey! How about, "The knowledgeable customer knows what he/she wants." Does that suit you a bit better?

JimmyM

• Regular debater
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2018, 10:00:47 PM »

I have gotten on so badly with thumb straps that I assume I am deformed in the thumb or hopelessly misinformed about how to use one. If you are using a thumb strap does the thumb sit behind the keyboard or is it in the thumb-groove, bracing the instrument?

either >:E

I think the thumb strap is a skill.Maybe like playing anglo concertina standing up -which I am convinced is impossible unless you have previously sold your first born to the devil!  I use 2 shoulder straps for 2row morris playing, 1 shoulder strap for seated 2row playing and the thumb strap for my 1 rows (always seated) I think i saw a video of Johnny Connolly and just decided thats how it ought to be done. Bit tricky at first but i dont really think about it now

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2018, 11:59:32 PM »

I suspect Edward, that the art of the successful fettler is determining the difference between what the customer asks for and actually wants, then giving it to them  ;)
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

melodeon

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2018, 12:42:53 AM »

"the thumb strap is a skill"

An unnecessary "skill" imposed by the archaic lock-up of the thumb.

If you have a thumb groove you can use it, if you have no thumb groove , you can't use it. DUH !

As to being locked up in a thumb strap.. it impairs digital mobility, and why would you want to learn a skill that is unnecessary if you use a thumb groove. Why would you want to learn to be immobile ?

Just askin'.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2018, 01:19:24 AM »

"If you have a thumb groove you can use it,"

Or, it can be very uncomfortable against your palm if you prefer to play with your thumb behind the keyboard. When I play with my thumb on the edge of the keyboard, my old thumb knuckles get very painful, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. Then again, perhaps I haven't yet learned the skill of playing it that way, through spending (wasting?) my time enjoying what I do with the melodeon?

In all this, I strongly suspect that Melodeon's passionately argued method is probably the most technically correct and medically neutral grip, other than the two straps holding the instrument firmly against the chest (but that's mainly for thinner people!) but there are those amongst us who just don't like to conform, more power to their elbows!!!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »

"the thumb strap is a skill"

An unnecessary "skill" imposed by the archaic lock-up of the thumb.

If you have a thumb groove you can use it, if you have no thumb groove , you can't use it. DUH !

As to being locked up in a thumb strap.. it impairs digital mobility, and why would you want to learn a skill that is unnecessary if you use a thumb groove. Why would you want to learn to be immobile ?

Just askin'.
I think you need to understand that what is good for you is not necessarily good for everyone. Even when I play with my thumb on the edge of the keyboard I prefer a nice rounded edge rather than a thumb groove as I find them uncomfortable, but I am willing to accept that other people have a different view on this subject.

george garside

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2018, 11:30:32 AM »

I think the key to successful use of the thumb strap is ti have it long enough ( and most I have tried have required lengthening/adjusting) for the thumb to rest easily but firmly held against the edge of the keyboard. 

much to my surprise, as a confirmed 'two strapper' I have found it quite comfortable on both 1 row and  on 2 row Erica.

This setting is clearly demonstrated   on a you tube vid. just put in       youtube jimmy Shand Melodeon solo      for a demonstation on thumb strap playing on an Erica.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2018, 12:53:09 PM »

I used the thumbstrap on my first melodeons. I found that if I wanted to hit the buttons faster and play across the rows the thumbstrap restricted me.  I have grooved edges and round edges and to be honest don't notice a difference but perhaps find a little more stability with a groove.  I suspect the shape and movement in your hands and wrist influence what works for each of us and also other instruments we play.  I think my hands/fingers are too short to reach the high notes (and third row) with my thumb restricted.

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2018, 01:26:51 PM »

The great Quebecoise accordionist Philippe Bruneau kept his thumb securely locked behind the keyboard. As does the currently great Quebecoise accordionist Sabin Jacques.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2018, 01:55:26 PM »

Michael, don't stress out on buying long distance from reputable dealers (can be identified through the forum) and probably all of the regular posters.  They will not screw you, IMO. 
Most of us have bought boxes sight unseen and unplayed through the forum and 99 44/100's of the time everyone is happy.  Most of us will take it back.  All the good dealers will. 
Plus, well played boxes will have nicely pre-exercised bellows. 
There are members who are even more far afield than you. 
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

melodeon

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2018, 08:08:15 PM »

Sabin Jacques's thumb is not locked in a strap.. and from my observation his thumb appears to be in contact with the the back edge of the "keyboard".

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2018, 08:17:40 PM »

Sabin Jacques's thumb is not locked in a strap.. and from my observation his thumb appears to be in contact with the the back edge of the "keyboard".
Whilst through (locked into) a thumb strap

tirpous

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2018, 01:56:52 AM »

Sabin uses a thumb strap of very stiff leather (old belt) shaped a bit like a funnel, and into which he wedges his thumb.  His thumb is behind the keyboard and the strap is oriented at about 1 o'clock which means his thumb is almost perpendicular to the keyboard's edge as can be seen about 2 minutes into this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9-glhGdTDg .  This is what works for him...

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2018, 09:55:13 AM »

The great Quebecoise accordionist Philippe Bruneau kept his thumb securely locked behind the keyboard. As does the currently great Quebecoise accordionist Sabin Jacques.

When I met Philippe Bruneau he showed me that it was only the tip of the thumb that went into the strap. Though limited by my imperfect understanding of the French language I understood that he had arrived at this technique through careful examination of photographs of John Kimmel and that he had also observed the same technique used by Alfred Monmarquette.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal