Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1970's Corona III Rebuild  (Read 5359 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: 1970's Corona III Rebuild
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 01:46:09 PM »

Coming together nicely.  Decals placed, bellow straps installed, mechanism aligned.  Reeds are getting fine tuned and should be shipped out to me this coming week.

It's looking great! The blue celluloid looks very smart.

But how can the reeds be both 'fine tuned' and 'shipped out' to you? Fine tuning has to be done in situ in the instrument in which the reeds are going to be played, otherwise they will almost certainly not be in tune. Unless of course there is so much tremolo that the term 'fine tuning' becomes rather academic.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »

I suppose if they had a very similar box any differences might be negligible??  :||:
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 02:01:21 PM »

There is a standard tuning for the music he plays that no matter what box he puts them reeds blocks he’ll still reach the same sound 😍 but I do know of other techs who say each reed block is tune differently per box but then again those boxes are pretty much a standard as well...
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »

Coming together nicely.  Decals placed, bellow straps installed, mechanism aligned.  Reeds are getting fine tuned and should be shipped out to me this coming week.

But how can the reeds be both 'fine tuned' and 'shipped out' to you? Fine tuning has to be done in situ in the instrument in which the reeds are going to be played, otherwise they will almost certainly not be in tune. Unless of course there is so much tremolo that the term 'fine tuning' becomes rather academic.

I miss typed.  I mean the reeds are being fine tuned, but the box will be shipped to me next week, box and reeds. 
Corona III x8

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2018, 06:32:51 PM »

I miss typed.  I mean the reeds are being fine tuned, but the box will be shipped to me next week, box and reeds.

That's good. Proper job then.  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 12:51:31 AM »

Celluloid work is not that toxic but it has to be done right or you will have problems down the road with shrinkage.
It takes practice to get it right and celluloid is not that easy to get in quantity.

This guy seems to know his stuff.

The glue you stick it down with is not available at all in the US so all the repair work I do is pretty involved. I have done areas of instruments but have not skinned an entire box.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 04:42:37 AM »

Celluloid work is not that toxic but it has to be done right or you will have problems down the road with shrinkage.
It takes practice to get it right and celluloid is not that easy to get in quantity.

This guy seems to know his stuff.

The glue you stick it down with is not available at all in the US so all the repair work I do is pretty involved. I have done areas of instruments but have not skinned an entire box.

The guy definitely knows how to wrap celluloid.  I bought another box from him before, was a hohner rey del vallenato converted to a "corona III".   Been treating it harsh and still looks great.

BTW, I'm not too far from you, just a 100 miles south.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 04:51:38 AM by Vallenato831 »
Corona III x8

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 09:16:58 PM »

Here she is, finally done.  I couldnt have asked for a better job.

Corona III x8

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 09:18:20 PM »

More pics
Corona III x8

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 09:19:38 PM »

And some more

Corona III x8

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2018, 09:59:31 PM »

Ready to go 😎
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »

Looks very Nice,....where did you get the "Hohner" Decals from ? or did you get someone to screen print or hand paint them ??
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:14:48 PM by Henry Piper »
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2018, 03:06:01 AM »

Looks very Nice,....where did you get the "Hohner" Decals from ? or did you get someone to screen print or hand paint them ??

The technician did them.  Not sure if he outsources the decals or does it himself.  I had the choice of any colors he said. 
Corona III x8

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 03:32:49 AM »

He probably gets the decals from a certified Hohner technician as I know only those guys have access to Hohner decals but I never emailed Hohner to very this I was told by my local tech who is not Hohner verified and gets them if a cert’d tech out of Texas.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal