Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Identification of a musical "interlude"  (Read 2011 times)

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
Identification of a musical "interlude"
« on: April 27, 2018, 05:03:30 AM »

Kind of a trivial question, but...

Richard Thompson's "Nobody's Wedding" ends with an instrumental version of "Mairi's Wedding", but what is the first interlude at 1:06? https://youtu.be/W-Pnpn20kBA?t=66

I feel like I totally know this tune but can't put a name to it and it is bugging me! :o
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

triskel

Re: Identification of a musical "interlude"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 05:35:24 PM »

It reminds me of the tune to Roy's Wife of Aldivalloch - so is it "Roy's Wife" strathspey "as played by Niel Gow" [First part is that of Roy's Wife of Aldivalloch (Ryan p173)], or something of the sort?

triskel

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 01:18:16 AM »

It's also known as Ruffian's Rant, and under a few more names, going back to 1742:

RUFFIAN'S RANT. AKA and see "Ben Nevis," "Coig na Scanlan," “Down on yon Bank,” "I'm Over/Owre Young to Marry Yet [1]," "The Kilt is My Delight,” "Lady Francis Wemys' Reel," "Old Virginia," "Roy's Wife (of Aldivalloch)." Scottish, English; Strathspey or Rant. England, Northumberland. D Major. Standard tuning. AABB (Hall & Stafford): AABBCCD (Gow): AABBCCDD (Aird, Bremner, Huntington, Kennedy): AABBCCDEEFF (McGlashan). Composed by Robert Bremner (c. 1713-89), who published the first collections of specifically Scottish dance music between 1757-1761. John Glen (1891) traced the tune back to 1742, and says it first was printed by Bremner in his 1757 collection. Aird (Selection of Scotch, English Irish and Foreign Airs), vol. II, 1782; No. 114, pg. 42. Bremner (A Collection of Scots Reels), c. 1757; pg. 43. Campbell, 12th Book of New and Favorite Country Dances, pg. 1. Gow (Complete Repository), Part 1, 1799; pg. 33. Hall & Stafford (Charlton Memorial Tune Book), 1974; pg. 10. Huntington (William Litten's), 1977; pg. 9. Johnson (The Scots Musical Museum), 1787-1803, vol. 2, No. 156. Kennedy (Traditional Dance Music of Britain and Ireland: Reels and Rants), 1997; No. 176, pg. 41. McGlashan (Collection of Strathspey Reels), c. 1780/81; pg. 22. Preston, A Collection of Scots Reels and Country Dances, pg. 43.

X:1

T:Ruffian’s Rant, The

M:C

L:1/8

S:McGlashan – Strathspey Reels

Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion

K:D

B | A<F F>E F>E F<B | A>F F>D E>DEB | A<F F>D d>ef>e | d>BA>F E>D E :|

|: B | A<F d>A B>Ad>B | A<F d>A B>AB>d | G<F F>D d>ef>d | B>dA>F E<D E :|

|: b | a<f f>e f>e f<b | a<f f>d e>d e<b | a<f f>e d>gf>e | d>B d/B/A/F/ E>D E :|

|| B | A<Fd<F A<Fd<F | A<Fd<F BABd | A<F E>D d>ef>e | f/e/d/B/ d/B/A/F/ E>DEB |

A/F/E/F/ d/F/E/F/ A/F/E/F/ d/F/E/F/ | A/F/E/F/ d/F/E/F/ B>A A<d | AFE>D Defd |

EBdF E>DEB ||

|: A<F F>E F>E F<d | A<F F>DE>D EB | A<F F>A d>ef>e| F<F F>A E<DE :|

|: B | A<F d>A d>Ad>B | A<F d>A B>ABd | A<F F>D d>efd | B>dA>F E>DE :|

triskel

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 01:51:24 AM »

I first heard Roy's Wife of Aldivalloch sung by the wonderful Jeannie Robertson and, after that, how could I possibly forget it: Jeannie Robertson - Roy's Wife of Aldivalloch ;D

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 03:53:24 AM »

Thank you, triskel, I think it's definitely related to Roy's Wife. This and the Mairi's Wedding portion are such near-parodies of Jimmy Shand style Scottish country dance music that I suspect if I search long enough on YouTube for Jimmy Shand tunes I would find it. (I'm trying, but there's only so many times I can hear that opening chord blare before I go mad.)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 04:19:22 AM »

I think it is a Jimmy Shand tune. Thompson quotes it again (after "The Bluebell Polka") at the end of "Don't Sit on My Jimmy Shands":
https://youtu.be/6FH7Kj_V6-c?t=230

I can't believe I'm spending so much time on this! ::)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:47:35 AM by Jesse Smith »

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 04:35:39 AM »

I have this album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdvVbT8vnyQ

Foursome Reel

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 04:46:16 AM »

Foursome Reel

Stephen

THANK YOU! I can go to sleep now! :Ph

triskel

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 07:03:58 AM »

Foursome Reel

Darn it! YouTube-nanny won't allow me to hear it in my location. >:(

Only Foursome Reel is the name of a complicated (two-couple) dance, which requires more than one tune. It's the name of the track, but not the tune... :-\

Ah, but wait, she will let me hear it here: Foursome Reel (Medley: Highland Whiskey/De'il Among the Tailors)

So Jimmy Shand called it Highland Whiskey - it'd have to be a Strathspey! ;)

Highland Whisky

A Neil Gow strathspey that I heard first on Duncan Chisholm et al’s tribute to Donald Riddell cd. The abc and following notes are from JC tunefinder

HIGHLAND WHISKY. Scottish, Slow Strathspey. A Major. Standard tuning. AB (Honeyman, Surenne): AAB (Athole, Gow, Hunter, Kerr, Martin, Skye). Composed by Scottish fiddler Niel Gow on the occasion of the brief banning in 1799 of the distilling of whisky. Source for notated version: fiddler and teacher Jean-Ann Callender (Aberdeen) [Martin]. Carlin (The Gow Collection), 1986; No. 73. Gow (Complete Repository), Part 4, 1817; pg. 26. Honeyman (Strathspey, Reel and Hornpipe Tutor), 1898; pg. 21. Hunter (Fiddle Music of Scotland), 1988; No. 127. Kerr (Merry Melodies), vol. 1; Set 8, No. 3, pg. 7. MacDonald (The Skye Collection), 1887; pg. 26. Martin (Traditional Scottish Fiddling), 2002; pg. 12. Stewart-Robertson (The Athole Collection), 1884; pg. 6. Surenne (Dance Music of Scotland), 1852; pgs. 148-149.

Now you can sleep Jesse!

triskel

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 07:08:11 AM »

So Jimmy Shand called it Highland Whiskey ...

Only, I'm sure he much more likely called it Highland Whisky... ???

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »

So Jimmy Shand called it Highland Whiskey ...

Only, I'm sure he much more likely called it Highland Whisky... ???

I am impressed!

Code: [Select]
X:680
T:Highland Whiskey
O:Scotland
C:Neil Gow
R:strathspey
N:BSFC III-21 and III-45 and IV-10
N:OTDT p.76
B:RSCDS 2-5(b)
N:Scots Guards 297
N:Skye p.26
N:2nd measure of B part has F#, G or G# in various versions.
Z:1997 by John Chambers <jc@trillian.mit.edu>
Q:1/4=152
M:C
L:1/8
K:A
|: E \
| "A"A<A A2 A>B c<e | "Bm"B<B B>c d>e f<a \| "A"A<A A2 A>B c>d | ef/g/ a>c "E7"B2 "A"A2 |
"A"A<A A2 A>B c<e | "Bm"B<B B>c d>e f<a \| "A"A<A A2 A>B c>d | ef/g/ a>c "E7"B2 "A"A>e|
"A"(3cBA e>A "D"f>A "A"e>A | "G"=G<B B>A "E7"^G<B B>e \| "A"(3cBA e>A "D"f>A "A"e>A | ef/g/ a>c "E7"B2 "A"A>e|
"A"d/c/B/A/ e>A "D"f>A "A"e>A | "G"=G<B B>A "E7"^G<B B>e \| "A"A<c "E7"B>d "A"c<e "D"d>f | "A"ef/g/ a>c "E7"B2 "A"A :|]
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

triskel

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 07:43:48 PM »

And the renowned Scottish fiddler/composer Niel Gow (1727–1807) had a hand in it,  one way or another...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal