Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conversions  (Read 1832 times)

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
Conversions
« on: May 03, 2018, 04:17:21 PM »

I have recently had conversations with other melnetters about Converting Hohner Student accordions to melodeons, so I thought I would post a picture of the three I've done recently to show what attractive and unusual melodeons they make. The two outer ones are White pearloid covered, both have faded over the years to a rather nice Honey colour! the centre one has been painted in white with contrasting dark red keyboard and bass plate whilst preserving as much of the original screen printing as possible. All have been fitted with new bellows by Igor Solinc, and new larger bass buttons re arranged in a conventional stacked layout rather than the original staggered layout as well as new bellow straps.
The right hand one is my own personal box,in D/G and the other two will probably be offered for sale in the next few months after final minor work.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
Re: Conversions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »

Do you have any pics and info on what you did to realign those bass end buttons?

Also what bass buttons did you use? Were they from CGM?

I have a Student 1 sitting on my shelf awaiting attention!

Thanks
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

invadm

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 04:56:25 PM »

very nice Mr Piper thanks for sharing  (:)  Lester was the first to start doing this,was he not?  indeed they do make a good looking melodeons them little old PA's    :||:

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 06:46:45 PM »

very nice Mr Piper thanks for sharing  (:)  Lester was the first to start doing this,was he not?  indeed they do make a good looking melodeons them little old PA's    :||:

Lester has done some, and also I think Mike Rowbotham as well, Its such a comparatively easy job, I wouldn't be surprised if others hadn't tried it as well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:26:11 PM by Henry Piper »
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 07:04:06 PM »

Do you have any pics and info on what you did to realign those bass end buttons?

Also what bass buttons did you use? Were they from CGM?

I have a Student 1 sitting on my shelf awaiting attention!

Thanks

Sorry, no pictures, but with the two "Pearloid"  boxes  with the recessed Bass buttons its just a case of removing the recessed panel ( they are usually just held in with 4 tacks) and drilling out a new one with the appropriate holes, they were then covered in matching pearloid salvaged from the back of the P.A keyboards and re-fitted. The buttons themselves are from Charlie Marshall fitted to pistons made from suitable diameter doweling inserted and superglued into aluminium tubing of a corresponding internal diameter, these in turn were glued onto the existing lever arms cut to the correct length and inserted into slots cut into the bottom of the "pistons".
The square shape pokerwork style casing  (the Signorina Grossi alias the fat lady !!) simply had the existing holes plugged with suitable dowelling, new holes drilled, and similar buttons made up to fit.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 07:27:35 PM »

My old A/D Pressed wood has offset bass buttons, and I don't really find them to be a problem.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Grape Ape

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 07:41:36 PM »

Those really look sharp!!!

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 08:34:28 PM »

Those really look sharp!!!

Thank you, much appreciated !!

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »

Very fetching indeed! Particularly the chubby one in the middle.

... two will probably be offered for sale in the next few months after final minor work.
What keys are they?

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 09:08:24 AM »

Pearse, The left hand one is currently D/G, the other  central one ( signorina Grossi ) will probably also be in D/G, but I,m still currently sorting out reed sets for it. Both still require final touches to finish them followed by final costings for the work involved, then they will be offered for sale initially via melnet, probably in about a month to six weeks time.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 10:02:15 AM »

I've seen several Senorina Grossi on eBay, and almost fancied having a go at one to convert. But they've gone for more than I was willing to pay. They're very nice to look at, though.
Well done, that man!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 10:53:22 AM »

Obviously how much one is prepared to pay for  a base accordion to work on is down to your own judgement, but in my experience they tend to go for around the £40 mark sometimes half that or less if a bit scruffy, (some even come with a useful free case !!!)
 If you add on the cost of a brand new set of reeds, ready mounted on blocks from Hohners C shop at about £140, a new Acorn keyboard at around £30, plus complete  treble Mechanism ( Known in Hohnerspeak as a "Pallet Bridge") with pallets and buttons ready attached, again from Hohners at around the £20 mark its possible to end up with a distinctive and eminently playable Melodeon for little more than £200 !!  compared with the cost of a Brand new (Chinese) one at around £600.  Using existing parts such as recycled reeds and other parts could even bring the cost down further,conversely you could use other more expensive parts and still end up with something costing less than commercial offerings,...again with your own personalized stamp !!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 11:00:56 AM »

Yes, it's a no-brainer! (And you get the satisfaction of your labour producing a unique instrument.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 06:29:52 PM »

Definitely Edward, Much as I enjoy my vintage Hohners, its rather fulfilling to create or adapt something that's unique to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal