Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing outer bellows tapes  (Read 1888 times)

Serge

Replacing outer bellows tapes
« on: April 19, 2018, 12:11:14 AM »

Can you please share with me a technique for replacing the outer bellows tapes that contact the bellows frames at the sides?

Let me explain what I mean if it's not clear. Imagine you are replacing all bellows tapes on your box. With inner tapes it's an easy procedure: you tear off an old tape and glue in a new one. Easy as that.
However when you replace the outer tapes that connect to the bellows frame what do you do to make it as easy as possible? You wouldn't disconnect the bellows frame, would you? - I guess not.

I've never done that yet so I don't know how much of the bellows carton connect to the frame and whether it's possible to make a shallow "cut" - that is to separate only as much frame from the bellows so that the bellows won't disconnect completely but only enough to remove the outer tapes.
Is that the way to go?

If it's what one needs to do then what glue should be used to glue the outer bellow folds dressed in new tape in place?
For gluing tape to the bellows we use some kind of PVA glue (everyone has their own preferences). However the outer surface of the outer folds with new tapes installed now will be vynil that has to be glued to wood. Will PVA work as well in that situation?

penn

Re: Replacing outer bellows tapes
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:17:27 AM »

Lester has a bellows taping video which I found invaluable when doing my 114.
https://youtu.be/UwQ1ZCbmNq8
There are better ways of describing it but I think I just pushed the tape down the crack between the bellows and frame with a blunt knife. I vaguely remember other discussions of this here suggesting to take the frame off. Lester manages it in his vid without doing that.
Steve

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:28:24 AM »

The only time I've done this job I did remove the bellows frames.It wasn't as difficult as I'd feared, and resulted in a very neat finish.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

invadm

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »

I do a lot of bellows re taping and always remove the frame, clean it paint if and when necessary, finish job looks nice and neat..for wooden frames i use wood glue, for plastic sort of frames I use contact glue.. I think contact glue works better on new tapes around the edges and gives a strong bond once dry...painted wood frames and wood glue don't always work well on new tapes, works much better on bare wood bellow card..
removing the frame is not a hard job especially on older boxes,with a small size Spatula work your way around between frame and bellow edge starting from inside of the bellow,corners will need a bit more care take your time and try NOT to cut the card..have a go and you'll see it is not as hard as you might think.             

diatonix

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 02:22:28 PM »

I too always remove the frames. Not only does it guarantee a satisfactory result but it is also much faster. In addition it makes it easier to attach spring clamps after all the tape has been replaced. Remember to leave as little bellows tape as possible on the folds in contact with the frames (by cutting off a few millimeters or at least take the time to scrape off its coating to which most types of glue don't adhere easily).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:26:44 PM by diatonix »

invadm

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »

Remember to leave as little bellows tape as possible on the folds in contact with the frames (by cutting off a few millimeters or at least take the time to scrape off its coating to which most types of glue don't adhere easily).
  ;D  earlier days  I found out this by re-doing 2 bellow frame...wood glue did not hold the frame around the crones and ended up leaking air..2nd time around I knew what not to do  :Ph 
correct glue and good clamping I think is the key.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 04:46:35 PM »

Two more key ingredients: patience and more patience. ( have another box ready to play )

Also having a dedicated space helps.

To do the removal of the old tapes do it outdoors unless you have a dedicated space and don’t mind your place getting all dusty.

Yeah those metal corners they do come out do it softly otherwise you’ll be hacking carboard pieces along those and again remove the tape first then remove those metal or aluminum corners..
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Serge

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 06:41:37 PM »

Good replies.
So I see that majority suggest to disconnect the frames. Honestly saying that doesn't make me too happy.

Actually I only need to replace tapes on the bottom folds. The sides and the top are fine and even not worn out.
Do you think that I can carefully separate only as much of the outer bottom folds from the frames as to be able to remove the old tapes and push *as Steve suggests below*...
...I think I just pushed the tape down the crack between the bellows and frame with a blunt knife. I vaguely remember other discussions of this here suggesting to take the frame off. Lester manages it in his vid without doing that.
Steve
... the new tapes in and glue them as needed?

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 06:50:19 PM »

check out this dude he has some videos very pro with special tools..

I do all manual but this should give you more ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nmUhz7ciwk

there's another video the guy cuts all tapes out glues them all and then starts taping :D I don't have that much space but seemed pretty cool.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Serge

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 08:21:28 PM »

I do all manual but this should give you more ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nmUhz7ciwk

That's crazy. It costs a fortune to buy a piece of salt-less tanned leather like that. Also they only sell tech cardboard in large quantities.
That's for sure a good example of 'in for a penny, in for a pound' project.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 05:31:44 AM »

If your box is too old I recommend internal tapping to
Prevent the in between cracking that was mentioned earlier.

Most of my high end Supertones and older early 1900s turn of the century boxes have better taping internally than they do externally doh! Weathering damages outside tapes faster..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal