Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: St. George's Day  (Read 1535 times)

lachenal74693

• Regular debater
  • Urmston, Lancs., U.K.
Re: St. George's Day
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 08:53:47 AM »

St George's day is in Northern Frisk - a compilation of tunes from NW England published by Dragonfly music in 1988...

<thread-drift on>

A short essay on 'Unintended Consequences':

Thank you for pointing out 'Northern Frisk'. I was not aware of this book. A short random(ish) search of
some of the well-known ABC repositories on t'internet revealed 3-4 references to this book.

A further bit of searching found a copy for sale on eBay - the listing included an image of the first page,
with the score for 4 tunes. I did a quick'n'dirty (and probably highly illegal) ABC transcription.

After editing a couple of 'obvious mistakes' (a 'g2' I didn't like, and which was clearly 'wrong'  (:) - I changed
it to 'a^g/g/'), I had  4 good new tunes.

So I bid for it and got it, and hopefully will shortly have another 151 good new tunes...

This looks as if it might be a book which deserves to be better known, at least oop 'ere in t'North...

Ta!

Roger

<thread-drift off>
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:13:11 AM by lachenal74693 »
Roger Hare
Urmston, Lancs., U.K.
rjhare at outlook dot com
Manchester Morris Men

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »

He's very big in Egypt!

He's Very Big In Sidmouth as well !!  12 feet tall to be precise, we have a processional giant figure down here known as " Prince George the famous Sidmouth Giant "  George is known as "Prince" George in the local Mummers play........even has his own Facebook page
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

lachenal74693

• Regular debater
  • Urmston, Lancs., U.K.
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »

Much later...
This seems to be the same tune. - TBV

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/mirror/BruceShawyer/english/tmp/Another_St_Georges_Day/0000

My money says that's the setting Mr McGrooger found. I saw it and  wondered if it had been translated into midi and back.

I was curious and did just that - I edited the above script into a more or less sensible form - it then is almost exactly the same as the
versions  from t'Old Vic Tune Book/the Northern Frisk book.

I then translated it into midi and back - the result was a severely mangled script but not as mangled as that in the URL above...
Roger Hare
Urmston, Lancs., U.K.
rjhare at outlook dot com
Manchester Morris Men
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.