Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unvalved treble reeds  (Read 337 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Never too old to learn
Unvalved treble reeds
« on: April 24, 2018, 02:56:12 PM »

I note (belatedly) that the three highest in valved reed plates are mounted with the H to the bottom, rather than the top of the reed blocks. Assuming this is done for a good reason, can I assume that this is the only, and correct way of doing them?

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : Hohner Club II (De-clubbed) D/G : Hagstrom G/C: Hohner Corona IIIR G/C/F :Preciosa Bb/Eb. Hohner 384 1930's Varnished wood G/C: Hohner B/E: Hohner Erika C/F: Hohner Pre Corso C/F : Bb/Eb Liliput, in restoration.

tirpous

• Respected Sage
Re: Unvalved treble reeds
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 03:23:24 PM »

Yes it's done for a good reason (facilitate startup of notes I think), but it's not necessary for all boxes.  Often it's only the last 1 or 2 reedplates that need turning around, sometimes none at all.  Whatever works best.

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
Re: Unvalved treble reeds
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 04:43:09 PM »

Do you  (or I ) really need valves?

I bought a cheap melodeon made in eastern Germany a few weeks ago.    Around 27 £   ( or euro) 
A   pokerwork "wannabe" in CF.

When I opened it, all the valves fell out like butterfly wings.   ALL  of them.   Bad glue.
Now it sounds a bit better.                 

Should I put the butterfly wings back? ! ?     I kind of like it as it is.
Gessner   Koch   Mariotti ?    "China  NoName"    Toy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.