Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back up box for morris  (Read 1315 times)

Richard Shaul

• Good talker
Back up box for morris
« on: April 23, 2018, 10:01:43 PM »

Hello,
I spent the first year or so of my Melodeon journey learning on a Sherwood Shire 2v DG (Cagnoni reeds) which I was very happy with. In 2017 I was fortunate enough build a melodeon on Emmanuel Pariselle's course, and since then this has been the main instrument I use. Last autumn I started playing with a border morris side, using the Pariselle. Now, with the summer approaching, and the prospect of dance outs etc. I am thinking that the Sherwood would be a useful backup in case of problems. However, when I try to play the morris tunes tunes on it, I find that I simply can't play fast enough to make this viable. So is this me or the box? Have I been spoilt by the Pariselle, and do I just need to practise more on the Sherwood to get up to speed, or could a fettler improve the response of the Sherwood sufficiently to make a difference?   (or maybe its a bit of each).

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Back up box for morris
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 10:13:31 PM »

Most of the Chinese 'Italian' boxes (Sherwood, Sandpiper, etc) can be vastly improved by having the reeds tuned and, more importantly, set up. They come out of the factory in various states of set up and tuning which causes the reeds to be slow to speak,

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:10:59 AM »

You are right you are a bit spoilt with the box you made. It looked really nice last year.  I don't have your problem as I made a GC beside you. I started playing for dance on a Saltarelle La Boube, but it's just too nice to risk out.  I moved on to a Dino Bafetti Black Pearl II - excellent for morris but some you like and some you don't and for whatever reason I don't. In the end I settled on pre pokerwork fettled box.  It has a lovely action and fourth button start so allows me to play lower as well.  If you want the action I think you need to follow a similar tack but of course there is a cost. I got the last one from "buy & sell" on melnet.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »

Best to look out for a Hohner Pokerwork or Erica, or a Dino Black Pearl.  Any box can be touched up to enable it to do its best, but the reeds (even the Italian ones) used in Chinese boxes are generally a bit to soft toned to to give you the volume of sound you need for Morris. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:28:23 AM »

If I were on the lookout for a reliable morris box I'd certainly go for a Black Pearl. The two or three I've played have all been really nice boxes, and the BPIII I did some work on recently for a friend is a super morris box - loud, compact, quick to speak. Would be my choice in your position.

Cheers
Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal