Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting a C/F Club to a G/C  (Read 1760 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Converting a C/F Club to a G/C
« on: April 28, 2018, 12:27:04 PM »

Can this be done?  I love G/C and I have a 2 row G/C, but would love a 2 row with accidentals, and I have a C/F Club I which I can use as the basis for the new configuration.
Basically, can a C/F be retuned to G/C?

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Re: Converting a C/F Club to a G/C
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »

I personally believe it is easier and generally cheaper to get a set of reeds in the right key rather than retuning. I’m sure if you placed a 'wanted' ad for GC reeds you'd find someone with those reeds. On the other hand, if you fancy spending a lot of time retuning reeds, then give it a go.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 01:52:33 PM »

Fair point Roger, and had thought of that way too, but I want the earlier H or T type reeds, and that was why I thought it might be the only way to go. There's also the accidentals to consider, I haven't seen a G/C Club, so they would need to be knitted up to suit the different tuning.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Rog

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 01:57:26 PM »

I suppose if you get your hands on a GC set, you might be able to make up the accidentals from the CF reeds. And retuning some reeds to achieve that would be justified (in my opinion).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:59:29 PM by RogerT »

Microbot

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 02:15:01 PM »

I'm with Sir John on this ... those early zinc reedplates are worth the work and make fabulous G/C boxes.

https://soundcloud.com/microbot-2/gcerika-for-kenmayes2

It's not difficult to take a Bb/Eb down to G/C ... neither is it difficult to switch a C/F to G/C ... after all you have the C-row already.

As a guide to the work involved, when doing a full overhaul (strip down the reeds+pallets/resurface/revalve/rewax/fine-tune etc) I reckon to charge an extra £100 - £150 (depending on the model) for a key change. That often uses some of my additional reeds 'in stock' but  that's what they are there for.

... that's a lot cheaper than buying a new set of decent reeds ...

... and don;t forget that with new reedsets you can have just as many issues with chamber size and general suitability as you are likely to get with conversions using original reeds.

Roger's other idea of getting a zinc G/C set from an original 1930s G/C 2915 , which are not hard to find, is a good way to go. However, you have to buy that box - of course, not a problem for someone with advanced MAD, Sir John!!!

cheers

Mike

Rog

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »

There it is, Sir John. Looks to me like you should get Mike to do the job for you.

invadm

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 04:55:19 PM »

Sir John,
 I have a set of reeds removed from corona II- in GCF bass and treble, a few broken but in reasonable condition T Hohner alloy reeds that I do not need any longer, little bit of cleaning and re valving and putting them in order  to keep you busy for a while..they were mixed up on the block-think reprieves owner tried to fix it but did not know what went where and put the reeds where ever he could...if any good to you PM me..also 3 full sets of corona wood block-no reeds-if anyone needs an empty blocks for corona II.   

tom f

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 06:32:50 PM »

Lester did a lovely C/F to G/C conversion of an early Club II for me a while back (wooden action on the treble keyboard, metal lever frame on the bass end - late 20's early 30's).  The reeds are sublime and the box always draws favourable comment from other players.  The fabulous tone coupled with the fact that you get a much better playable range with the G/C system has made this my current practice box of choice.  I provided some old Hohner Student PA blocks as donor for the extra reeds required but I think most people dealing with old Hohners will have suitable spares.  Good luck!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 12:46:29 AM »

All this talk of converting has got me thinking! I've just acquired a rather old GCF Hohner, but would fancy it more as a DGC. I don't suppose anyone out there in Melnet Land has a set of D reeds going spare?
(Perhaps this should be in a separate thread? If so, would one of the moderators let me know, please?)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 07:36:13 AM »

Is there any disadvantage of replacing a whole block, instead of waxing?
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »

All this talk of converting has got me thinking! I've just acquired a rather old GCF Hohner, but would fancy it more as a DGC. I don't suppose anyone out there in Melnet Land has a set of D reeds going spare?
(Perhaps this should be in a separate thread? If so, would one of the moderators let me know, please?)
Are you thinking of either (a) a standard D/G with an additional C row, or (b) a standard G/C with an additional D row?

In either case, one of the rows will be in the wrong octave to be compatible with its neighbour. In case (b), the D-row reeds you require will need to be an octave lower than a standard D-row on a D/G. This is because the G-row on a G/C box is pitched an octave lower than than the G-row on a D/G and so to preserve the relationship between the D and G rows on your putative instrument, you need the D-row reeds that octave lower too.

You could possibly use a set of D-row reeds from the low (L) octave voice of a three-voice box, but these reeds plates are larger and probably wouldn't fit on on your existing G/C/F without some considerable modification of the reed blocks (which actually might not be feasible anyway). Also, a low-octave set of D-row reeds is very growly on its own and the lowest pitch reeds could hence be slow to respond.

There would be similar problems with case (a) but this time because the C row reeds would need to be an octave higher than normal (very squeaky!) in order to preserve the similar pitch relationship with the G-row.

If you ignored the pitch relationships in either case (a) or (b), and just fitted a standard D-row set in the case of (b) or a standard C-row set in the case of (a), you would end up with a very strange sounding box and to my mind, almost impossible to play using normal melodeon expectations of fingering patterns. 

If it were feasible it would have been done before now and would be a commonly available box. But it isn't for the reasons I've outlined. Sorry, but I think it's a non-starter.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »

B****r! (But thank you.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal