Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking inside the box...  (Read 5398 times)

Katie Howson

• Regular debater
Re: Thinking inside the box...
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 02:54:05 PM »

Sorry you felt disappointed, Robin.

I suppose if it had been more structured it would have been a bit more "instructional" in tone, but I think it achieved a nice relaxed approach to a difficult subject. It was certainly tricky to try and paint a picture for the listener, many of whom wouldn't be too sure what a diatonic button accordion looked like on the outside, never mind on the inside. My role became "state the blindingly obvious" and "ask the idiotic questions" at times for that reason. I thought the production brought out the "making the right instrument for the right person" approach very clearly, and demystified it to a certain extent, with mention of clothes hangers and plywood! Some people from the early workshops will remember the buttons made from the things that go on the bottom of chair legs! And an enduring memory of mine is the stops stuck into take-away pizza boxes while they dried!

I believe the fourth programme in the series is about the Uillean Pipes, so that should be another interesting one in terms of trying to explain things that you can't see easily.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 04:40:30 PM »

A nice rambling way to spend 30 minutes... structurally very un-Cartesian. Listening idly while working I was a little surprised when Emanuel started talking about « chocolat chaud » (after the goat cheese!) until I realized I had misheard his pronunciation of "circular saw" (:)

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 05:14:06 PM »

I enjoyed it - suspect most of the R4 audience won't know what a melodeon is  - and I thought it conveyed the joy of music and musical instruments to non-musicians .
( And I'll still call my 2 row diatonic accordeons melodeons. )
Paul
Location NE Fife

Robin Tims

• Good talker
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 05:18:47 PM »

Thanks for your comment Katie.

The points you make, along with Theo, are certainly fair ones and it's good that many on here obviously enjoyed the programme.

I can also echo the nostalgia felt by Andy Next Tune as I was reminded too, of the banter (and kind support) on the first One-Row making course at Stowmarket, when Theo, Rees, and Lester, also of this Parish were also present (and others no doubt) if I remember correctly.

Ahhh, I shall go and wallow again on YouTube with 'La Nonchalante' as played and sung by Emmanuel on that French canal boat.

Rob
Castagnari Clovis D/G. Irish Conc Co 'Eiru' C/G. Wheatstone Aeola 48b English Treble. Weltmeister Rubin 60 Bass P. Accordion.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »

...I tend to call them button accordions, I have to admit.
But... I just listened to this program and thought it was excellent! I was there with them in the workshop. And Emmanuelle's infectious sense of humour came across really well. There is, after all, only so much you can get in 27 mins of radio program. Interesting to note, also, that EP uses electric grinder to tune his reeds ( or it might have been an engraver). File purists take note. (:)

C K LIGHT

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »

Great programme. As a lover of the instrument and it's music without a great deal of understanding or interest in the details of the inner workings I thought it was perfectly balanced, interesting and good fun.

Congrats everyone involved!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »

Maybe I'm too easily pleased but, I feel came away with an enlightened understanding of Emmanuel's and Andy's philosophies of what happens between player and maker.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

arty

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 07:17:28 PM »

What a brilliant programme....I really enjoyed that !

Part way through the programme, Emmanuel plays a bit of a tune which I love and would like to learn. Here he is, playing that tune at Hallsway Manor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrs2N8PNrTE

Does anyone know the name of the tune? If someone has the dots it would be helpful !  (:)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 07:32:19 PM by arty »
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 08:16:33 PM »

Re the tune - The New Land - Otis Tomas I think. Versions to be found on the Session website.
I agree - really nice tune. I occasionally play it but lurking in my 'projects' file along with many others !
(And still trying to find time to catch up with the programme)

J
Old Bones Dance Band

arty

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 08:22:43 PM »

Thank you Julian  (:)
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 10:35:23 AM »

Taking apart is usually easy but putting back together................

“Refit is reverse of removal”, as the great works of fiction say... if only Haynes made a melodeon manual

It would surely include the immortal phrase "You may need a special tool for this job..." :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »

I particularly enjoyed the programme but did I misunderstand ? Emmanuel also makes staircases ? If so, I wonder if he might consider a special deal, staircase and melodeon... ::)
I'll go and take the tablets...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »

Not only was EP using a rotary tool for tuning  >:E but he dissed the idea that the tone wood used makes a difference, opining that the reed block timber is important (having said that, and slightly off topic, I had some training from another box tech (not of this parish) and his practices, used over many years, also differed quite a bit from what would be considered acceptable on here).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal