Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I know the make but?  (Read 2934 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
I know the make but?
« on: April 30, 2018, 11:41:42 PM »

I bought this yesterday, it's a Hohner 3 row, 3 voice, 12 bass in GCF, and it's a bit rough around the edges, but it does have a lovely sound here and there.
I've been searching the Hohner list on here (under Hohner in the "Makers" section) and have found 6 possibilities, although I do realise that the list isn't complete. 3 of them are unlikely, in my opinion, as I think this one is older, probably pre-war. That leaves 3 choices, I think.
Possibly........
Italiener              1929-31
Zweireiher          1938-39
Dreireiher            1939
Unless, of course you know of another possibility?
Here are the pictures:
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Grape Ape

Re: I know the make but?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 11:57:47 PM »

I like it! GCF is a great and versatile system. 

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 12:06:22 AM »

Thank you, Mr Triskel. (I know you'd know!) That translates to "Three herons", strange name for an hand harmonica model, surely?

I had a GC, Grape, and liked the sound of it very much. I'd love to stick a D row where the G is now, and make it a DGC, to suit everything, more or less, but "one who knows" reckons it won't work out nicely, so I'm more than a bit disappointed!

Grape Ape

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:25:44 AM »

The answer to that is an ADG!
The reason the DGC doesn’t work is that the d would have to be an octave lower.  The ADG provides all the lovliness of a DG plus most of the lovliness of an AD- in my opinion an equally beautiful sounding system to the GC...

triskel

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 12:57:31 AM »

Thank you, Mr Triskel. (I know you'd know!) That translates to "Three herons", strange name for an hand harmonica model, surely?

::)

Dreireiher = 3-rower

Zweireiher = 2-rower

Einreiher = 1-rower

Nullreiher = paddle your own canoe!

8)

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 01:30:23 AM »

I just know these as "pre-corona" models.  Looks like that one is a Corona III relative. Great find!
Corona III x8

Conjunto Dave

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 11:30:57 PM »

Here's a video by Peter Unbehauen showing the Evolution of the Hohner Corona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjnQEvRJKfo

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 11:54:05 PM »

Thanks Dave, that was mine in the middle.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 12:01:43 AM »

No it’s not, that one in the middle is a 2 voice pre CoronaII keyboard is wayyyyy smaller and so it’s the grill, pallets and just the whole box in size is smaller.

Your box is the equivalent to a Hohner Corona III in today’s language 😎

I have the same box in GCFb... here’s what a DGC sounds like 😍 https://youtu.be/94UuvgVeuNg
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 12:55:22 AM »

I'll certainly bow to your more intimate knowledge Mario. From the angle on the video, it looks exactly the same to me. I remember that on the "list" the Dreireiher comes in either 2 or 3 voices.
Mine is rather heavy at 5.14kgs. It was quite a shock, actually!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 01:11:34 AM »

I forgot to mention the video of the D/G/C. It grated on my ears! I don't like squeaky sounding instruments, and that's what is putting me off the normal D/G things in the first place.
I was hoping to shift the reeds up a row on this and add a lower D row, but Steve_freereeder has said that the D row will sound very growly, so now I'm wondering whether I have the right instrument? Or (as I quite like "growly") if I should bite the bullet of taking on a lot of work and just try it? I wouldn't mess up the "H" reeds though, I'm sure I could find some suitable ones elsewhere. 

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »

I still get quiet a left hand workout when playing my Pre Corona IiI voice.
PreCorona II voice are light as a feather compared to III voice plus the zinc reeds 😂

Peter does an amazing job at keeping a great knowledge of historic Hohner instruments in the Corona II family but the Corona III is a whole other animal it will growl if you make it rather lower the DGC video I showed those guys are making those boxes higher rather than lower. I believe out of factory they come on a 4,4,4 this dudes are bringing it up to 8,8,8 .... 😂

My local tuning guy also has a higher rate on the H reeds for they are squarish and hard to finish the tuning evenly. My CFB has a sticker inside that was last serviced in 1946 so I’ve been slowly replacing those reeds with my Club IV reeds on the CF side... also remember that the C part in your case are shared reeds between the second and third block. Some dudes tape shut the second reed block to make it a different sound. I haven’t tried yet myself to do that...

Enjoy 👌🏽
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »

I was hoping to shift the reeds up a row on this and add a lower D row, but Steve_freereeder has said that the D row will sound very growly, so now I'm wondering whether I have the right instrument? Or (as I quite like "growly") if I should bite the bullet of taking on a lot of work and just try it? I wouldn't mess up the "H" reeds though, I'm sure I could find some suitable ones elsewhere.

Grape Ape has said the same a few posts back:

... The reason the DGC doesn’t work is that the d would have to be an octave lower...

And as I mentioned on your other thread about this, there is also the problem which would arise because low-octave (L voice) reed plates would almost certainly be longer than your existing reed block dimensions, so considerable modification would be needed - probably a custom-built (££ !) new reed blocks which would have to be very asymmetrical from one side to the other.

You could get some idea of the growliness of a L-voice D-row by trying a standard Hohner 1-row four-stop in D or C and just selecting the L voice. In the lower part of the range, the L reeds are slow to speak. It doesn't seem to matter too much when in LMMH voicing (perhaps the other reeds resonate with and encourage the L reeds to start up?) but just L on its own always seems to be slow in my experience.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 08:04:58 AM »

Of course, Steve! In my eagerness and stupidity, even though I've been messing with octave 3 reeds recently, I'd forgotten about your warning of size difference. There's no way that they'd fit the existing blocks, the ones I've been clarting about with are wider also.
Thank you for trying to keep me on the straight and narrow. Melnet is a bit like a slower version of Star Trek's "Borg", where all the knowledge is (eventually) shared by all the members! 

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 09:48:57 AM »

Edward, If you don't like things too "Squeaky", or too "Growly"   look for an instrument in A/D.......the perfect compromise ( well.. in my opinion anyway)
P.S.  I don't think the latino tuning of the D/G/C box in the video helped it much,..I'm sure they don't all sound that way
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:57:39 AM by Henry Piper »
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 07:00:56 PM »

Edwards if you have corona iii reeds they will fit with minor sanding ☺️👌🏽
I just got a set of GCF from a member here from his corona lll to my PreCo just about finished installing them will work on the bass side and G outer row a bit leaky later on:

https://youtu.be/nARXT_nJzm0

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 07:56:34 PM »

::)

Dreireiher = 3-rower

Zweireiher = 2-rower

Einreiher = 1-rower

Nullreiher = paddle your own canoe!

8)

Drei = 3, reih = row and er = er (suffix)
So - three rows, not three herons  :||:
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal