Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Button options  (Read 1398 times)

emrock

• Regular debater
  • Busker, based in Southern Germany
Button options
« on: August 20, 2009, 07:13:43 PM »

The emrock mark 1 treble side is very slowly getting built (why oh why did I decide to build an open keyboard) and I'm thinking about options for buttons. I had originally wanted to go for square buttons like I'd seen on an old Italian 2 row that look as though their interlocking, (picture attached) but have decided this wouldn't look quite as i want. I also had an idea about making them square and out of some black walnut I have, but this too seems too fiddly for the 29 buttons i'll need. So are there any suggestions of what I could do? I want it to look different, but obviously still be playable, even black pearloid buttons are a possibility if anyone knows where i can get them.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:31:13 PM by emrock »

HallelujahAl

Re: Button options
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:28:13 PM »

Well, I'm using lollipop sticks on my kitchen sink melodeon - but I'm still waiting for my kids to eat the requisite number :D
But seriously have you thought about the Shirt Button Type With Centre Hole in White Pearl - they're really easy to affix and have a quaint olde worlde looke about them. It also helps that Charlie Marshall up in Scotland stox them. In fact if you visit his site you'll see that he stocks a range of about 25 different types of treble/bass buttons. Most are the familiar - but some are just a little different. He's certainly worth talking to as he may very well have something not listed.
AL

C age ing

• Respected Sage
  • New fangled melodeon?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:46:58 AM »

Google Saxophone Pearls and see what a variety are available. There will be at least two sizes with each set and we normally just glue them in. "Never heard any Charlie Parker on a melodeon." he said, reaching for his Erika.
Old Bill.
My Erika is as old as me. Luckily, it is not as decrepit.

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »

I opted for the keys from on old IBM keyboard on the "malodun"
aka malodeon

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 11:16:25 AM »

Do you have a friend with a lathe?  The walnut could be turned and each button parted off, nearly ready to use!  Fixing them could be done by screwing through from under the lever.

Rob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal