Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your own amp for border morris dance outs  (Read 8797 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Your own amp for border morris dance outs
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 09:15:42 PM »

Returning to my original post (:)

It seems that a Roland Cube is my chosen way forward.
Before I invest in a Street Cube can anyone offer an educated opinion on the merits of the Cube 10W GX and the Mobile BA?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 10:20:05 PM »

Returning to my original post (:)

It seems that a Roland Cube is my chosen way forward.
Before I invest in a Street Cube can anyone offer an educated opinion on the merits of the Cube 10W GX and the Mobile BA?
And to be serious in response Greg, I have owned three (mains-powered) Roland Cube CM-30s, and still use a pair connected with a stereo link cable on stands for our band in small/medium halls. I'm a great fan of Roland's Cube range, they are well-designed with a flexible set of inputs/controls, robust, powerful and while not cheap when bought new, they can be bought s/h for reasonable prices. I have no direct experience of their battery-powered models but I would expect them too to have similar quality given the strength and reputation of the Roland brand.
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2018, 02:18:40 PM »

Apparently Roland are bringing out a border morris amp that converts major keys to minor keys....... ;)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2018, 02:41:41 PM »

Apparently Roland are bringing out a border morris amp that converts major keys to minor keys....... ;)
I have been wonder if I should have my pokerwork converted to Dminor/Gminor. Just trying to get my head arind what would come out of it when I played using Eminor button sequences, if you know what I mean.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »

I have been wonder if I should have my pokerwork converted to Dminor/Gminor. Just trying to get my head arind what would come out of it when I played using Eminor button sequences, if you know what I mean.

Probably like locrian modes? Diminished chords and all that. It would be a pretty distinct sound!

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 12:51:37 PM »

Greg, a little off the orig topic, but you probably know the Streb has a built in harmonic minor key set.  Very sweet.  Poor rendition here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ngWe6v63l8
On the subject of Roland street amps, if you dare to try the KC220, a little pricey, they are very nice.  Though I think for the money, if you can use AC, the KC-60 is best Roland value.  Here in States, I think the Behringers are the best value overall.  Even their bottom of the line keyboard amp, under USD 100 is nice and loud.  But is AC only.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »

Strebs are beyond my budget this lifetime  :( Does sound nice, though.

What does it sound like if you play Twiglet on that setting? I think it looks something like this:

X:1
T:Twiglet
T:Theme Vannetaise
C:Written by the Breton folk rock band Tri Yann.
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:Gm
"Em"E2 BA B3A|"C"G2E2E2G "D"A2AG^F2 FE|"D" DE ^FA "e"G2"Bm"F2|
"Em"E2BAB2 AB|"C"G2E2E2 ^FG "D"A2 AGF2FE|"D"DE ^FA "Em"E4 |]
"Em"E^F GF EF GF|"C"E^F GA B2G2|"D"DE ^FE D3 E |"D"^F2A2 "e"G2"Bm"F2|
"Em"E^F GF EF GF|"C"E^F GA B2G2|"D"DE ^FE D2 DE |"Em"G2"Bm"^F2"Em"E4|]

Greg Smith

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2018, 01:45:02 AM »

We're veering off topic here but I believe it would be more like this - it's possible to do it with transposition and key juggling but it's quite a pain. You can see that I've selected Dmin for the key signature - this would be a single flat note, B flat instead of B, which seems like it might fit with a layout you might expect?

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:Theme Vannetaise in E Locrian
R:reel
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:Dmin
"Edim"E2 B2 B2 AB | "C"G2 E2 E4 | "Dm"A2 AG F2 FE | DEFA "Bb"G2 F2 |
"Edim"E2 B2 B2 AB | "C"G2 E2 E4 | "Dm"A2 AG F2 FE | DEFA "Edim"E4 |
"Edim" EFGF EFGF | "C"EFGA B2 G2 | "Dm"DEFE D3 E | F2 A2 "Bb" G2 F2 |
"Edim" EFGF EFGF | "C"EFGA B2 G2 | "Dm"DEFE D3 A | "Bb" G2 F2 "Edim" E4 |

The E minor tunes we play on our DG boxes, we kind of play them on the D row - in fact, if we use the C# instead of the C from the G row, we actually play E dorian. Using that logic, I figured we were stepping up one 'mode', normally we go from Ionion (standard major) to Dorian on our regular instruments, so, on a Dmin Gmin instrument, we would (presumably) be going from Aeolian (natural minor) up one to Locrian - a fairly unique sounding mode whose tonic chord is diminished (think, white piano notes, starting from B)

An example D minor / G minor layout can be found here: http://forum.melodeon.net/files/site/DminGmin21spiers.gif - you can see though that John opted firstly for an F major chord (the relative major of D minor) rather than to double down and go mode crazy, so you can't play the chords for the tune above. He's also using Harmonic minor scales instead of Natural minor scales. There's really a lot of choices you can make for this kind of thing! Anyway I hope that's been a fun diversion.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:56:08 AM by Gena Crisman »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »

Greg, a little off the orig topic, but you probably know the Streb has a built in harmonic minor key set.  Very sweet.  Poor rendition here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ngWe6v63l8
On the subject of Roland street amps, if you dare to try the KC220, a little pricey, they are very nice.  Though I think for the money, if you can use AC, the KC-60 is best Roland value.  Here in States, I think the Behringers are the best value overall.  Even their bottom of the line keyboard amp, under USD 100 is nice and loud.  But is AC only.

Roland KC220: rrp £485 :( well outside my budget, I'm afraid.
AC only? Got to be battery. No AC available in the venues I'm playing in.

And its got to be easy to carry. I'm getting on a bit now. I've reached the stage in life where, if it ain't fairly easy to do, I probably won't do it.

I was hoping to find something for £100-£150. At about £250 the street cube would require a bit of planning to buy (translates as convince my wife I need). There are a few competitors which seem to fit my spec but I'm wary of buying without first hand knowledge. If nothing else, they may not be rugged enough.

e.g., https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/SubZero-SZPA-P6-Portable-PA-with-Digital-Media-Player-and-Wireless-Mic/21D8

Greg Smith

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2018, 09:19:00 AM »

We're veering off topic here...

This is intruiging me for some reason. Is there a way of copying to another topic?
Greg Smith

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal