Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with replacing reedblocks  (Read 1831 times)

Pascal Gillies

Help with replacing reedblocks
« on: May 03, 2018, 05:36:41 AM »

Hello all fellow melodeoners!
This is my first post but I have been what's been on here for a wee while now.
I'm still quite new to this and have only been playing 8 - 9 months and loving it.

I have recently acquired another pokerwork to learn how to fix and in the process, I purchased some reedblocks to change the tuning from the honer shop website.
Only shock horror they don't fit :o
Looks like it is something very simple that they do not have felt on the bottom of them but the original ones do.
Does anyone have experience with this?
Is there somewhere that sells the felt/lining with precut holes in it?
If not what material would be best suited and what is the best method for cutting holes and glueing the lining?

I look forward to seeing what people have to say :)
Pascal

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Help with replacing reedblocks
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 07:24:30 AM »

My personal preference would be to fit Olovisc gasket (a thin type of cork gasket) to the casework rather than the reed blocks. Charlie Marshall sells self adhesive Olovisc, just stick it to the casework over the air holes then cut around the holes with a scalpel.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 12:11:19 PM »

You can equally well stick the gasket to the base of the reed block.  Your old blocks will be like this.  It's a little easier to get at and easier to cut out the holes because the pallets will not be in the way while you are cutting.   This way also means that you can easily put the old blocks back in if you want to do that, for example to give you a choice of tuning.

Hohner have used both methods and both work equally well as far as I can tell.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 02:57:22 PM »

You can equally well stick the gasket to the base of the reed block.  Your old blocks will be like this.  It's a little easier to get at and easier to cut out the holes because the pallets will not be in the way while you are cutting.

When I did this recently, I used a thick length of cardboard to raise the pallets. This afforded the space I needed to operate the scalpel, and the cardboard protected the felt on the pallets.
For some reason, I had to do it this way, but I have also attached olovisc gasket directly to reed blocks and that
is probably an easier task.
If you decide to stick it to the casework, having a third hand available to you in order to depress the buttons to
allow the cardboard to be inserted, will be useful.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 03:15:58 PM »

Welcome Pascal. I'm left wondering why you're changing the blocks "to change the tuning"? Are the original no use, and, what are you going to do with them if you're finished with them? (Hint hint.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 05:00:12 PM »

... what is the best method for cutting holes?

I used a short length of hollow tube, sharpened around the rim.
It was a piece of copper pipe, approximately 10mm in diameter.
Don't attempt to cut right through as you risk stretching the material out of shape.
Use it to give a clear outline of where the hole is and use a scalpel or a craft knife to get a clean cut.

Pascal Gillies

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 12:01:50 AM »

Thank you so much for all your responses this is all very helpfull!
Thank you Theo & Lester, the Olovisc gasket is on my shopping list :)
I just received some bellow tape from CGM just yesterday.
I will inspect my other box and see which method they used in that case so I can try streamline.
@ Edward I am changing the blocks as I had a couple of notes that didn't sound right as if more than one were playing but with a sad deflated sound. I thought of replacing the reeds them self but that looked like a little to much work for a first timer :/
When I had a closer look most of them seemed rusted also. The price difference between buying a full set of reeds or buying a block from honer wasn't too great figured would save me some time.
The previous blocks were in cf but new ones are dg.
Honer was out of stock of cf, I suppose that's not the most interesting response is it ;)
I have no idea what I will do with the original ones at this point... I thought it would be cool to build my own box from scratch one day but I got the feels that it's way ahead of me ;)
Did you have a need for the blocks Edward?

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 09:02:13 AM »

Pascal, Edward is our very own Mr Micawber, a snapper up of unconsidered trifles. His motto is "The shy child gets nowt. (nothing)" I admire his optimism though.
Hope your installation of the new blocks goes OK. I recently had the same thing happen to me, and my solution was to put the gasket on the reed blocks, not on the fondo. As almost all the old Hohners I have worked on, apart from my old Erika, have this system, it makes transferring blocks around, much easier.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 09:58:31 AM »

Well thank you Sir John!
Although I've often quoted the said Micawber, I hadn't really seen myself as his protege. But, on reflection, you could well be correct.

invadm

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 10:06:15 AM »

Did you have a need for the blocks?

your old Hohner reeds are much more valuable than you might think, especially if you have them on the block as a set  ;) I will start the firs bid by £50 for all 4 block  8)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 10:34:56 AM »

Of course, invadm is perfectly correct. Reeds on blocks are worth whatever someone is willing and able to pay for them, I'm sure that the sky's the limit with your blocks.
But the value of everything is purely subjective, hence we have people paying the best part of a million pounds for a house in London which could be bought elsewhere for £75,000, and second hand melodeons going for £13,000!
Moneyed folk set prices which they know others would not/could not pay in every sphere.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 12:48:16 PM »

Pascal, Edward is our very own Mr Micawber, a snapper up of unconsidered trifles.

(Pedant alert!)

I think you'll find that was Autolycus in "The Winter's Tale";  Mr Micawber was always sure something would turn up....  ;D

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 01:37:58 PM »

As, indeed, I always am! As they say (or something like it) "Everything comes to he who waits", eventually!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »

Thank you Graham. So Edward, you now have a choice, either Mr Micawber, waiting for something reasonably priced to turn up. or the old Snapper, Autolycus himself. An embarrassment of riches as **** ****** said.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal