Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dave Whetstone  (Read 1778 times)

vof

• Regular debater
Dave Whetstone
« on: May 05, 2018, 10:19:06 PM »

We have here Hotfoot 2, paired with Sweet Ginger - both taken from Dave Whetstone's album 'The Resolution' - the one with the picture of the Oakwood on it. It's a great album, mostly because Dave is both a fine tune writer and a fine box player. Dave gave up playing box a few years back, but has been doing a few high profile gigs recently, with the original Cock and Bull band (which features him and Jean-Pierre Rasle) doing Towersey a year or two back, and Sidmouth this year.
[The above quote is from Clive's post in Theme of the Month for March 2018: Fast Tunes.]

I stumbled upon this post when googling for info on where I might see Dave Whetstone these days after my recent post about Cock & Bull triggered by Portabello Hornpipe in Lester's Tune-a Day thread. He was/is indeed a fine box player. I last saw him with WAZ giving a performance to a handful of us in the bar of The Bull in Bridport in the early 2000s. I'll be stewarding at Sidmouth again this year so hope to have the chance to see him again after many years.

Anyone know of any other 2018 dates for 'Vintage' Cock and Bull?
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
Re: Dave Whetstone
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 11:36:40 PM »

Please let us know when you find any gigs - long before I came back to folk generally I would alienate my then partner repeatedly playing "All buttoned up".  I still love all the tunes, but still haven't managed to transcribe the words for the song...

Rob.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:13:36 AM by Rob2Hook »

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 06:33:24 AM »

I,m very lucky,I've got his one of his Oakwoods,and no it is not and will not be coming up for sale.
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 05:36:20 AM »

Dave is on the line-up for Towersey this year, revisiting The Resolution, with Martin Brinsford and Benji Kirkpatrick. Something I am particularly looking forward to.
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal