Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What tune are you learning just now?  (Read 16873 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: What tune are you learning just now?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 11:24:37 PM »

I just found this tune on the session. It's really good.

Cruel Is The Snow That Sweeps Glencoe

A first cousin of the Northumbrian tune "My (or "Maa" if you must try to echo the local accent) Bonny Lad", if I'm not mistaken.  The A music's nice enough (though the Northumbrian version is better) but the B music's a bit of a non-event, IMHO. Sorry! But if it floats your boat, go for it!  :)

Cheers
Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

tim54

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 10:21:39 AM »

Hiya,

Current work in progress is as follows;

1. 'Hot Punch'. My Morris side are learning a new dance called 'Poulton le Fylde' and this is the tune of choice. (Thanks to our good mates Sergeant Musgraves Dance for the dance and tune). Current status - Coming along nicely.

2. 'Sur le Pont' The final tune on the first track of 'Bateu Dore' album by La Chavannee. This is proving a bit tricky on the DG so if anyone has any notation I'd be very grateful. Current status - stuck on the A part.

3. 'The French Assembly'. My old copy of Blowzabella 'In Colour' has this as a waltz from Sussex. Current status - Love it!

Phew!

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »

Because my son prefers Irish and doesn't like 'lumpy' English tunes , we have decided to
go for polkas . As a result I am attempting to learn Wallace's Cross,As I went out upon the ice and Din Tirrant's.
We both agree that Polkas must have been written with free reed instruments in mind . (He plays English Concertina) .
I am having to venture into the 'dusty' end  of my instrument.
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Dunny

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 05:35:07 PM »

Hi Lester - I'ts funny how some tunes do the rounds all over the place, we've been playing St Timothy for a couple of months at our sessions in Shipston on Stour (near Stratford) - we learnt it from a piano accordion player in Rugby!

I'm learning Tufty Swift's Swedish tune - sounds good on my 1 row 4 stop. I haven't got the abc for it though.

oldclubII

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »

I am compiling a few pieces that my father (now 82) has played for as long as I can remember, these are reels that were popular a while ago in Quebec, I am putting together abc files and asking him what the titles are! So I can't tell you the names of the tunes ;D literally.

Don't want to let that heritage go away.

Dunny

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 09:12:51 AM »

Hi Francois - if you feel it appropriate to share those tunes, I'd be really interested. I like the idea of keeping tradition going, as well as playing different tunes...

oldclubII

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 01:00:13 PM »

Will be glad to do so! 

As you may know, lots of the French-canadian stuff was largely inspired by the Irish, Scottish, French and Breton music, and many tunes are local versions of other tunes we hear elsewhere. Some versions made their way back to Europe somehow, one interesting case seem to be the "Reel St. Anne" of which many Irish players know a version.

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 06:50:38 AM »

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/gramophone/m2-9002r-e.html
I posted the "R" page so that you can find all the "Reel de..." and "Reel du..." titles

Most of the these performers were fiddlers but notable accordeonists were Joseph Plante,listen to his "Carnival of Venice"http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/obj/m2/f7/13128.mp3 for something less typical.

Tommy Duchesne and Alfred Montmarquette were also quite prollific,there are a few other accordeonists but I can't recall their names.You can find more tune types under "Gigue","Quadrille" and "Valse".I've found that the early recordings are very much like the Scottish and Irish tunes that inspired them.As the years went on the tunes had changed so much that they really do deserve the new names that they now have.

Here's a link to the main index http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/gramophone/m2-9000-e.html

Chris
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 07:03:32 AM by sCANdanADIAN »

oldclubII

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2008, 04:01:49 PM »

Chris:
Many thanks for all this info. I knew the collectionscanada web site but never took the time to navigate and find the stuff that you indicate.

There seems to be lots of abc files on the web containing tunes from Quebec but they don't sound at all like the versions that I know, or that my father plays.

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2008, 12:42:12 AM »

...they don't sound at all like the versions that I know, or that my father plays.

They never do. During all the years I have been a keen transcriber haven't found a single ABC I want to use as is. The problem is that there are may versions of tunes around and that many (most?) of the ABCs are done by beginner transcribers. When pros share their ABCs they quite often give you only the sceleton and leave a lot to be decided by you so in this case you may need to do some transcribing anyway.

I have totally given up the idea that I will find a version which I want to use as is and most often these little tunes can be transcribed with practise in less time than what it takes to try to find them from the net or books and them play thru all of what you have found. When transcribing, I however do usually first look in the obvious places if there is a version close to the recording I'm interested in. If I find one with the same structure I then rub off all the 'wrong' notes and transcribe these from the source of my interest. This usually saves a lot of time because the file is already there. If you want to transcribe you fathers tunes this could be an approach for you too to easen the burden.

PS. I have not tried to transcribe using the melodeon, it may not be the best of choices for this because of it's high volume, I nearly always have used the mandolin.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 01:04:36 AM by risto »
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

oldclubII

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 12:23:27 AM »

Here are a few abc files coming out of my compilation work. Original recordings can be found on the Virtual Gramophone but I based my transcription on what my father plays. La Bastringue is something you used to hear in all popular celebrations, it also has lyrics.

La Bastringue

Reel du St-LaurentReel du St-Laurent

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 12:36:34 AM by oldclubII »

oldclubII

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 03:04:48 AM »

Yet another transcription, this time get your 1-row going and squeeze as many notes has you can out of the 10 little buttons!

The original recording is amazing, it was made in 1928 by a guy called Joseph Guilmette, awesome player, one of my all-time favourites.

Here is a abc transcription in G (the original sounds like Bb, could have been in A but the record player may have been doing 75rpm):
Reel de Longueuil

Here is the original record:
Reel de Longueuil
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 02:43:30 AM by oldclubII »

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »

* discreet cough * - correctly spelled Longueuil... pronounced approximately "Long-gueuh-yye", not "Long-gay-ye" as you have spelled it (and which is how Torontonians generally pronounce it  ;D ).

oldclubII

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 01:40:42 PM »

You are right... it was late when I wrote that. The correct spelling is indeed Longueuil.

Note that there is a town called Longueil, but it is in France.....

P.S. still a great tune, no matter the spelling...

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 06:12:18 PM »

In answer to the original question:

'The Blackbird' using dots not abc. 32 bars which I thought was a reel. It is listed in O'Niell as a Long dance. Has anyone got an mp3 or other listenable file that they can post.

A good tune, 'March of St Timothy' (by Judi Morningstar 1985)

I would also like to see a transcript of 'Old Joe the boat is going over' if anyone can help - abc if you like. No-one seems to write down the East Anglian tradition.

sorry to ask for much and offer little
DaveW

Paolo Soprani b/c/c#, V Soprani b/c, Hohner Compadre adg, Roland FR-18, Hohner Merlin d/g

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »

No-one seems to write down the East Anglian tradition.
Steve Freereeder of this parish would probably disagree -  http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,218.0.html

Tyker

• Respected Sage
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008, 06:54:59 PM »

I would also like to see a transcript of 'Old Joe the boat is going over' if anyone can help - abc if you like. No-one seems to write down the East Anglian tradition.

You are wrong . The new publication 'Before the night was out ...' has two versions annotated.
There is thread on this book.

Tyker

• Respected Sage
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2008, 07:08:04 PM »

Obviously , Lester is faster to the button  :P

StevenCain

• Good talker
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »

sorry to ask for much and offer little

As it happens, 'Oh Joe, the boat is going over' is the tune that I'm learning at the moment - it's in the tutor book Maggie's Melodeon. Also, it's the online sample for 'Before The Night Was Out...' on the EATMT site at http://www.eatmt.org.uk/tunes.htm

Cheers

Steven

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2008, 08:17:46 PM »

'The Blackbird' using dots not abc. 32 bars which I thought was a reel. It is listed in O'Niell as a Long dance. Has anyone got an mp3 or other listenable file that they can post.

Well there is more than one tune by that name in the Irish tradition, and doubtless in other traditions too. As far as Irish tunes are concerned, the long dance is probably the best known, and you hear it played as a slow air also. The Bothy Band recorded a set consisting of an air, the long dance and then a reel that appears to be related melodically to the long dance tune, at least in the first part, but the reel came out as 24 bars ("A" 4 bars, "B" 8, both repeated).

There are also two distinct lovely hornpipes called the Blackbird (An londubh), both with 32 bars, one of them being a close melodic relation of the  set dance, the other less so.

At thesession.org you can find both the hornpipes and the set dance, and a few other tunes of the same name and (if you are logged in as a member) listen to midi renditions of the versions posted there. Better than nothing, and if you can identify what tune it is you are trying to learn, or post the dots here, I may well be able to find an mp3 of real musicians playing it for you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal