Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What tune are you learning just now?  (Read 16874 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: What tune are you learning just now?
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 12:20:09 AM »

......I would also like to see a transcript of 'Old Joe the boat is going over' if anyone can help - abc if you like. No-one seems to write down the East Anglian tradition.

What planet are you on? We've just published a whole book of the stuff. The entire country is talking about nothing else. Don't you have a wireless set? Even Kirsty Wark gave it a plug on Newsnight and I'm told that Ed'n'Fallon have ordered a few copies for their new band.  ;)
See here:
http://www.eatmt.org.uk/Shop.htm#ENB30%20Before%20the%20Night%20Was%20Out

Sithee...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:28:55 AM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Steve

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2008, 06:13:17 PM »

^^Yeah, and we were at the launch  ;D

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2008, 07:19:51 PM »

[/quote]

What planet are you on? We've just published a whole book of the stuff. The entire country is talking about nothing else. Don't you have a wireless set? Even Kirsty Wark gave it a plug on Newsnight and I'm told that Ed'n'Fallon have ordered a few copies for their new band.  ;)
See here:
http://www.eatmt.org.uk/Shop.htm#ENB30%20Before%20the%20Night%20Was%20Out

Sithee...
[/quote]

Steve. Humble apologies for missing the book launch. I could have ordered one for Christmas! It's embarrassing to say but I have no idea who Ed'n'Fallon are/is - but they must like it.

I will read the reviews and if they are favourable  ;), I'll buy a copy pronto.

DaveW
DaveW

Paolo Soprani b/c/c#, V Soprani b/c, Hohner Compadre adg, Roland FR-18, Hohner Merlin d/g

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »

It's embarrassing to say but I have no idea who Ed'n'Fallon are/is
DaveW

Oh dear you are out of touch :o

dum de dum de dum de dum
dum de dum de duum  duum

dum de dum de dum de dum
dum de diddley duu-uum

maybe someone cleverer than me can do the abc ;D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2008, 11:15:05 PM »

[

dum de dum de dum de dum
dum de dum de duum  duum

dum de dum de dum de dum
dum de diddley duu-uum

It's probably out there already somewhere!  I believe the tune's called "Barwick Green"......
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2008, 07:16:24 AM »

X: 42
T:Barwick Green
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:G
d2 B g2 e |  d2 B G3 | d2 B g2 f | e3 d3  |
d2 B g2 e |  d2 B G3 | A2  d ^cdc | d3  d3 ||
e2 f gfe | c2 d edc | B2 c dcB | B3 A3 |
d2 B g2 e |  d2 B G3 | d2 g fga | g3 g3 ||

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »

The talent available in this community is astounding! 8)
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2008, 09:17:49 AM »

I don't want to nit-pick, but shouldn't the very last note in bar 7 be e2, not d?  :)

Graham (no, the P doesn't stand for "Pedant", though there are those who say it should........)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »

I don't want to nit-pick, but shouldn't the very last note in bar 7 be e2, not d?  :)

Graham (no, the P doesn't stand for "Pedant", though there are those who say it should........)
If you are talking about Barwick Green the very last note in bar 7 is a c not a d and certainly should not be e2

Which Tyler
Leader of the Pedants' Revolt

Graham Spencer

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2008, 03:13:07 PM »

If you are talking about Barwick Green the very last note in bar 7 is a c not a d and certainly should not be e2

Which Tyler
Leader of the Pedants' Revolt

Funnily enough, I was just coming back to this thread to modify my last post as it suddenly occurred to me I'd put "d" instead of "c", but you beat me to it.  Don't know where my head was this morning.

"Barwick Green", by Arthur Wood; a "maypole dance" from the suite "My Native Heath", 1924. and as it happens originally in G - or at least played in G (by, I presume a BBC orchestra - maybe the BBC Symphony) in the context from which we know it so well - and that triplet is certainly played as "c#de" there. I don't have a copy of the original score to hand, but I imagine the orchestra would be playing what the composer wrote.  I've tried it with "c#dc#" and it really doesn't sound right.....sorry!

Graham

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2008, 06:02:24 PM »

'The Blackbird' using dots not abc. 32 bars which I thought was a reel. It is listed in O'Niell as a Long dance. Has anyone got an mp3 or other listenable file that they can post.

There are also two distinct lovely hornpipes called the Blackbird (An londubh), both with 32 bars, one of them being a close melodic relation of the  set dance, the other less so.

Thanks Steve for this information - I will ferret around. If you find an mp3 file that would be good.

I can imagine the sequence slow melody - hornpipe - reel. We played it at an english dance session, but I can't rememeber whether I was dancing or playing! It was two years ago  ;D
DaveW

Paolo Soprani b/c/c#, V Soprani b/c, Hohner Compadre adg, Roland FR-18, Hohner Merlin d/g

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2008, 06:54:02 PM »

It's embarrassing to say but I have no idea who Ed'n'Fallon are/is
DaveW

dum de dum de dum de dum
dum de dum de duum  duum

dum de dum de dum de dum
dum de diddley duu-uum

who needs abc?

what about this one

dum diddle um diddle um diddle um diddle um de da da da da da da,
diddle um da da da da da ra Da Da diddle iddle um.

DaveW

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »

Thanks Steve for this information - I will ferret around. If you find an mp3 file that would be good.

Ha - forgot about this one - on my own website!

This is the hornpipe that is not related, or at least not closely, to the long dance tune. However if you were playing at an English dance session, I somehow doubt that this is what you are looking for.

The player in the clip, Donncha O Briain, was an extraordinary musician. At the time of this recording, a few years before his death, he was almost completely incapacitated by muscular dystrophy - his hands and mouth were almost the only parts of his body he still had control over.

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2008, 05:48:34 PM »

......I would also like to see a transcript of 'Old Joe the boat is going over' if anyone can help - abc if you like. No-one seems to write down the East Anglian tradition.

What planet are you on? We've just published a whole book of the stuff. The entire country is talking about nothing else.

Steve

Bought the very excellent book, am learning the tunes. In Kent, we only listen to digital radio.  ;D

Who can play the 'Devil's Gallop' - Dick Barton' signature tune?

regards
DaveW

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal