Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sabin Jacques & Rachel Aucoin - music of Philippe Bruneau - Kickstarter  (Read 2507 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne

A project that has been 20 years in the making. Compositions of Philippe Bruneau played by two of the finest québécois musicians of today, and lovely people too.

The video has English subtitles and the English text is down towards the bottom of the page.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/700733826/grandes-rencontres?ref=user_menu

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?

I have both albums and listen to them probably at least once a week. Learning some of their tunes is a goal of mine. Wish I could have made it up for the weekend last year but things got a little crazy.

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

melodeon

Excellent .. thanks.
Any guesses as to the key system on the 4 row ?

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris

Thanks. That's really infectious music. I love the way she smiles as she plays.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions

Excellent .. thanks.

It's a bit difficult to tell but I think it's a three row and what looks like an inner (fourth) row is actually a row of sound holes.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne

Excellent .. thanks.

I was puzzled by the fourth row, because I've seen that box many times. It used to belong to Normand Miron, who redecorated it, and that is is why the fleur de lys are upside down. If you look closely (2:36) you'll see that the inside row is a row of holes which I think Sabin must have added recently. I'm pretty sure it's an ADG.

Edit: this is not the first time that Rees has got in with the correct answer while I've been typing!

arty

That’s happy music....love it!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne

penn

My MP3s arrived a couple of days ago and... it's great! Can't stop listening to it. Virtuoso playing from Sabin and Rachel, with wonderful feeling and dynamics and great tunes. Magnifique!!!
Gren

kenakordeon

• Regular debater

Truly an amazing recording of wonderful melodies lovingly performed by Rachel and Sabin. More than merely a recording of Quebecois tunes, it is a beautifully realized and passionate musical dialogue between two masters of their instruments, wife and husband, musical and life partners. A dialogue which captures and conveys all the romantic drama that is in the music of Philippe Bruneau. Sabin's expert interpretation of each tune is so casually performed that it makes me forget just how darned difficult so many of the accordion passages are. He has me smiling and laughing with delight at his ability to interpret a melody. And now, with this cd, Rachel shows us how creatively she has advanced and reimagined and redefined piano accompaniment in Quebecois traditional music so that the piano creates a harmonic richness and a melodic counterpoint and reinforcement of the melody.

Buy it. Then listen and enjoy this beautiful hommage to the master accordionist Philippe Bruneau.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:28:25 PM by kenakordeon »

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne

Sabin's expert interpretation of each tune is so casually performed that it makes me forget just how darned difficult so many of the accordion passages are. He has me smiling and laughing with delight at his ability interpret a melody.

Couldn't agree more. Take a tune like "Jimmy DiGenova", which has always been a bit of a mystery to me - I think I can never have heard it played "right". Whenever I looked at transcriptions it seemed to be in some unintelligible musical language, like so many hieroglyphs on some ancient stele. Then I heard Sabin's playing of the first 8 bars, on this record - well the first 6 notes did it, actually - and it was if the intent behind the tune suddenly became clear. Wonderful light touch, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal