Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real live melodeon players!  (Read 901 times)

arty

Real live melodeon players!
« on: March 15, 2019, 11:09:17 AM »

Jersey, where I live, is a melodeon desert. In fact it is a bit of a folk music desert but, dare I say, improving a little.
Last year, I heard my first good, live melodeon player playing with a band at our local Arts Centre. Sam Mebbett - he was superb and I really feel that I learnt a lot from listening to him.
Next Tuesday, we have a concert by Rachael McShane & The Cartographers, which includes Julian Sutton on melodeon. What a treat that’s going to be!
I have booked my seat in the front row 😊
Can’t wait!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

nigelr

• Respected Sage
Re: Real live melodeon players!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:35:55 AM »

Julian really is an astonishing player.  Having seen him live and done one of his workshops in the past, his approach to harmony and rhythm are wonderful.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it  (:)
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »

Yes you are fortunate to have a chance to see Julian Sutton. One of the best player around and with a very personal style.  I only wish he did more gigs.  He lives near me, and it’s a few years since I heard him play.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 01:09:56 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly with Nigel and Theo. Julian is a brilliant player with an individual style. A few years ago, I attended a workshop he ran in Darlington on French tunes that was one of the best I have ever experienced.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal