Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 18th to 24th August Whitby Folk Week 2018 UK  (Read 13932 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: 18th to 24th August Whitby Folk Week 2018 UK
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 10:34:28 PM »

We've just sent off for the programme, but I don't suppose that the Melnet meets will be included in there. Are they published somewhere?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 09:11:51 AM »

They're usually posted on here, they're not included in the official WFW programme

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 05:16:12 PM »

Thank you, Sir John.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »

(:) have sifted through the programme ... here are a few of the melodeon interest events, just the workshops and some of the many sessions to whet your interest  :||:  To see the full 616 events including concerts please buy a programme ..... or the " app thingy" for the technically minded  ;D
  Workshops are £6 each, for sessions it's generally donations in the bucket.

Saturday
13.00-15.00  Conservative Club Bar              English Music Session     Ken Watson & friends
17.00-19.00   Fisherman's Rowing Club.        Music Session                Mary Humphreys & Anahata

Sunday
10.00-11.20  Fishermans Rowing Club.          D/G Melodeon Workshop for all abilities  Ollie King
13.00-15.00  Consevative Club Bar                Music Session.               Peeping Tom
13.00-15.00  Fishermans Rowing Club.           Music Session.               422

Monday
10.00-11.20  Fishermans Rowing Club.   D/G Melodeon, techniques & keys that push the boundaries
                                                                                              Benammi Swift
10.00-11.20  Middle Earth                      Beginners Melodeon D/G crash course 1 of 3
                                                                                              Steve Dumpleton
17.30-19.00  Spa Theatre Bar upstairs    Music Session.                     Pete Coe

Tuesday
10.00-11.20  Fishermans Rowing Club   Melodeon Workshop, tips for song accompaniment  Pete Coe
10.00-11.20. Middle Earth.                   Beginners Melodeon D/G  2 of 3.   Steve Dumpleton
13.00-15.00  Middle Earth                    Music Session, well known tunes at steady pace.   Bob Ellis
17.00-19.00  Middle Earth.                   Music Session        Benammi Swift & James Haigh

Wednesday
10.00-11.20  Fishermans Rowing Club   D/G Melodeon Workshop, add colour to your tune playing
                                                                                                      Brian Peters
10.00-11.20. Middle Earth.                   Beginners Melodeon D/G 3 of 3.  Steve Dumpleton
13.00-15.00  Middle Earth                    Music Session, well known tunes at steady pace.  Bob Ellis
17.30-1900  Spa Theatre Bar upstairs   English Music Session.                 Ken Watson

Thursday
13.00-15.00  Middle Earth.                   Music Session, well known tunes at steady pace.   Bob Ellis

Friday
10.00-11.20.  Fishermans Rowing Club  Workshop, playing songs by ear.                  Bob Ellis
13.00-15.00   Conservative Club Bar     Music Session.              Mary Humphreys & Anahata
13.00-15.00.  Middle Earth.                  Music Session.                                           Bob Ellis
17.00-19.00.  Middle Earth.                  English Music Session.                           Ken Watson

Now to work out how to get to everything  ;D :|||:
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »

Wow, that's great! Thanks for this-I'll be there for the middle of the week as we're doing the ceilidh on the Wednesday evening, so hope to make some of the sessions and put faces to names....

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 08:40:10 AM »

.............so hope to make some of the sessions and put faces to names....

Cheers,
Guy

There should be plenty of informal sessions in the local pubs too, usually The Station Inn (aka Cutty), The Golden Lion, Black Horse, Endeavour, Elsinore and Ship to name but a few but please do not play or sing in the Plough or it's yard  :(  ..... it's a Sam Smith's pub and the landlord would get into awful trouble if any spies from the brewery found live music during the week  :-\
 There will be a new micro pub opening on Skinner Street this month, the old Horne's shop on the corner where it joins Back St. Hilda's Terrace, don't know if it will be folk friendly but it should have interesting beers etc.  :|glug
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:37:01 PM by AnnC »

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 03:56:40 PM »

Thanks for posting that info, Ann. I haven't seen a programme yet and some of the things I appear to be doing are news to me!

One in particular worries me. You have written that on Friday morning I am teaching a workshop on 'Playing Songs by Ear.' I really hope it doesn't say that because my understanding is that the workshop is called 'Learning Tunes by Ear.' Could you check the programme, please, and let me know the precise wording.
Thanks,
Bob
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 06:19:36 PM »

Hello Bob  (:) the exact wording is ..... " Bob Ellis how to play songs by ear"   :||:
Cheers Ann

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »

Thanks!

btw DON'T get the app … it was cr…p. Basically a flat file of the programme, tiny text on my iPad, and no search, no added value. Paper was better.

PS any workshop by Brian Peters is strongly recommended chez moi. Superb teacher!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:31:00 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 09:23:37 PM »

btw DON'T get the app … it was cr…p. 

I thought it was just me being technically inept last year  ;D ..... perhaps it should be "cr*pp thingy" .... and you can scribble notes on the paper version, tune names, telephone no.s etc.  ;D

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 09:35:39 PM »

Thanks!

btw DON'T get the app … it was cr…p. Basically a flat file of the programme, tiny text on my iPad, and no search, no added value. Paper was better.

PS any workshop by Brian Peters is strongly recommended chez moi. Superb teacher!

Yes I remember you complaining about it last year Chris, but I found it  very useful.

SJ

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 09:52:25 AM »

Hello Bob  (:) the exact wording is ..... " Bob Ellis how to play songs by ear"   :||:
Cheers Ann

Thanks again for the information, Ann.
Anyone thinking of attending this workshop, please note that it is not about learning songs. It is a workshop for any melody instrument looking at techniques that can help to learn tunes by ear.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 12:38:16 PM »

Yes I remember you complaining about it last year Chris, but I found it  very useful.

I pulled late last year John as I was in hospital! This was my 2016 experience, but if the "App" (same price as paper) has evolved "App" charcteristics - eg simple ability to filter the vast programme by my interests 😉, some sort of eg "by evening" view 😎, and importantly to offer programme changes as they develop 🤔 …  I will defo be a customer.

Such things are the "why" of Apps, and why they do better than a paper list, printed weeks back. Decent text size is also important. Apps are subject to disabled access act, and "handles" for eg poor sighted people would be a great idea.

Looking forward to Bob's sessions. He led the Wensleydale weekend I got to, beautifully
  _       _    _      _ 

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 08:56:59 PM »

I usually park my motorhome on the car park by the marina and leave it there all week at about £7 per night and day. I've just heard that the council have stopped that.
Can anyone clarify the situation?
Thanks
Hugh
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »

That's bad. Alistair Russell has suggested parking at the Community College for those not on the folk week camp site. Does anyone know anything about that?
Tumbling Tom Band

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 08:50:26 AM »

That's where I'm going this year, because I'm not stewarding . Details attached, it's very reasonable.

http://moorandcoast.co.uk/whitby-folk-week-camping.html

Sir John

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 09:55:49 AM »

I've stayed there in the past. It's OK. Flat site. Toilet and shower facilities in the school. Damn site closer to the centre of town than the artist's campsite (mutter, mutter.)

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »

I usually park my motorhome on the car park by the marina and leave it there all week at about £7 per night and day. I've just heard that the council have stopped that.
Can anyone clarify the situation?
Thanks
Hugh

Unfortunately the car parks were becoming unofficial camp sites, the local paper last week had a photo of the car park beyond the Co-Op packed with motor homes, 60 at a rough count, some of them quite large ones, a bare handful of cars to be seen among them, and as the only facilities for chemical toilet disposal etc are for the Marina users there can be a bit of a problem with overflowing rubbish bins.
 The details of the council's decision are bound to be in the Gazette this Friday so I'll post a summary  (:)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:26:41 PM by AnnC »

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 05:39:26 PM »

Is the Community College the same place as the Caedmon College?
Tumbling Tom Band
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal