Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 18th to 24th August Whitby Folk Week 2018 UK  (Read 13937 times)

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
Re: 18th to 24th August Whitby Folk Week 2018 UK
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 06:32:10 PM »

Is the Community College the same place as the Caedmon College?

Yes,  but there are two sites sharing 1 headmaster I think. The Whitby Community College site is the one you want, post code YO21 1LA (the former Grammar School) If you come into Whitby on the A171 from Guisborough you will find it on your left, small entrance road between houses before you reach the traffic lights at the top of Prospect Hill,  coming up the A171 from Scarborough go over the bridge past the other school site then turn left at the traffic lights at the top of Prospect Hill towards Guisborough and the turn into the school entrance is the first little road on the right. It should be well signposted 😊
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2018, 09:45:05 AM »

Great, thanks Ann.
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2018, 10:11:51 AM »

I usually park my motorhome on the car park by the marina and leave it there all week at about £7 per night and day. I've just heard that the council have stopped that.
Can anyone clarify the situation?
Thanks
Hugh

Unfortunately the car parks were becoming unofficial camp sites, the local paper last week had a photo of the car park beyond the Co-Op packed with motor homes, 60 at a rough count, some of them quite large ones, a bare handful of cars to be seen among them, and as the only facilities for chemical toilet disposal etc are for the Marina users there can be a bit of a problem with overflowing rubbish bins.
 The details of the council's decision are bound to be in the Gazette this Friday so I'll post a summary  (:)

Just seen this:
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/whitby-introduces-new-rules-campervans-14923275

Restrictions come into force on 1st August (it says).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »

(:) confirming Steve's post ..... according to the article on page 9 of the Whitby Gazette a ban on motor homes parking overnight 11pm to 7am on the Endeavour Wharf, Battery Parade and Marina car parks will come into force on August the 1st. this brings these car parks into line with the other council car parks which have had the ban since 2012. An additional condition is that curtains should be left open.

On a more cheerful note, for anyone camping on the Moor and Coast site at Caedmon College ( Whitby Community College) who hasn't been there before you are within walking distance of a very useful corner shop open 8am to 8pm for bread, milk etc., the First Inn Last Out Pub, the Railway Chippy and Eddie the butcher who will happily sell small quantities of sausage, bacon etc. Just walk down to the traffic lights at the top of Prospect Hill and go straight across down the tree lined Waterstead Lane then, after the school entrance, where the road forks bear left onto Fishburn Road. The pub is on the left opposite the Chippy, the butchers is on the corner and if you turn left at the pub the shop is just a few yards up the road on the left ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:26:11 AM by AnnC »

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2018, 01:29:12 PM »

Any news on a Whitby flat session , or Melnet meet ?
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Ken Watson

• Good talker
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2018, 07:48:45 PM »

(:) have sifted through the programme ... here are a few of the melodeon interest events, just the workshops and some of the many sessions to whet your interest  :||:

One great session you've missed AnnC is PolkaWorks Music Session, featuring Katie Howson & Jeannie Harris on melodeons...

193   Mon 20th Aug   1.00 - 3.00pm The First in Last Out, 1 Fishburn Road, Raglan Terrace
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:10:19 PM by Ken Watson »

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »

One great session you've missed AnnC is PolkaWorks Music Session, featuring Katie Howson & Jeannie Harris on melodeons...

193   Mon 20th Aug   1.00 - 3.00pm The Fisherman's Rowing Club

;D ooh yes .... thanks for that, it should be wonderful  ;D   There are just so many melodeon friendly events in the programme to try to get to, though I know I'll miss that one ......... will be playing for the Morris  :|||: ;D

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2018, 02:18:45 PM »

Great News ! I'd seen the Polkaworks session but ignoramus that I am I didn't realise it featured Katie
( Looking forward to Ken's sessions  well and my yearly fix of English music .
Paul
Paul
Location NE Fife

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2018, 11:36:51 PM »

I've just booked our flat for 2019 ...
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »

I will be at Whitby for the whole week. 

I won't have a stall in the trade fair but I will be equipped for minor repairs.

You can also leave instruments with me at the end of the week to take home for more extensive work. 

I can also bring with me instruments I have for sale if you contact me by Friday 17th.

Contact me by PM or email if you need my mobile number.

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2018, 12:38:16 PM »

The Euro-sessions that Chris Nash and I run at the George Hotel on Baxtergate will happen again this year, but there will be no session on Sunday due to the Sunday carvery that the George lays on in that room. The first Euro-session will be on Saturday and then they will be every afternoon from Monday to Friday. All sessions will run from 15.00 to 17.00 pm. These sessions are not on the programme because they are part of the "fringe".

For anyone who might be interested, I will be teaching a workshop on How to Learn Tunes by Ear on Friday in the Fisherman's Rowing Club from 10.00 to 11.20. This is in the programme as a workshop on how to learn songs by ear, but that is a misprint: the workshop is about learning tunes by ear.

I'll also be running my Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace sessions on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in the Middle Earth from 13.00 to 15.00 and I will be hosting a general tune session in the Middle Earth on Friday from 13.00 to 15.00.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with melnetters at these and other events through the week.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2018, 08:37:17 AM »

And for melodeon players who also play anglo concertina:
A snippet of information regarding my C/G anglo concertina workshop scheduled for Thursday 23rd, 10 - 11:20 a.m. in the Middle Earth, for intermediate - advanced players. Ideally, you will need a standard three-row 30-key C/G anglo; it doesn't work particularly well on a two-row anglo. 

The workshop is all about playing in the harmonic, so-called 'English' style, i.e. not Irish melodic style. This information has been omitted from the programme, even though I supplied it months in advance.  ::)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »

Any news on a ... Melnet meet ?

Any news?   Can't make it up for the whole week, be good to know which day and where Melnet will be letting forth ;)
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2018, 05:02:56 PM »

If I remember correctly, we had a melnet session in the George last year from 13.00 to 15.00 so that those who wanted to could stay on for the Euro-session that begins at 15.00. However, very few people turned up for the melnet session. There was also a poor attendance at the melnet session in Sidmouth last year, so I didn't bother organising one this year and nobody complained about its absence. Have melnet sessions at festivals run their course or am I misreading the situation?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2018, 05:12:38 PM »

Does that mean I can leave my D/G at home?

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2018, 05:16:03 PM »

Does that mean I can leave my D/G at home?
SJ

Why would you want to?

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2018, 05:19:08 PM »

Because I prefer G/C and only take a D/G  if I think I have to.

SJ

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2018, 08:39:11 AM »

Have melnet sessions at festivals run their course or am I misreading the situation?
Probably. It’s not necessarily a bad thing..there are other opportunities to meet up and we can make it happen again if we want. It is good to put faces to names but this can be done in other settings.
M

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2018, 08:55:11 AM »

SJ

You would probably find many of the usual sessions and/or workshops challenging on a G/C, as the most frequently played keys will be G, D and Em (however much we might wish it were otherwise) so a D/G box would be the most useful. Even in the off-grid Eurosession you might be struggling some of the time on a G/C.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »

SJ

You would probably find many of the usual sessions and/or workshops challenging on a G/C, as the most frequently played keys will be G, D and Em (however much we might wish it were otherwise) so a D/G box would be the most useful. Even in the off-grid Eurosession you might be struggling some of the time on a G/C.

Yes I know Steve, just having a wee stir. The D/G is already packed and in the van, along with the G/C, and the Bb/Eb
SJ

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal