Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fipaccordion 1940's fancy 3-voice button box  (Read 12448 times)

triskel

Re: Fipaccordion 1940's fancy 3-voice button box
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2017, 10:14:22 AM »

Liberty Bellows in Philadelphia PA often breaks up accordions and sells the parts separately, so they might turn one up for you:
http://libertybellows.com/

If you PM me what you'd offer for the accordion that you linked, I could try to pick it up for you and mail you just the grille.

Thanks, and Liberty Bellows would only charge a fraction of the price for such a grille - I've got a spare "waterfall" one here that I bought off them a while back, but that won't do for this one.

As a coincidence, I'm looking for a piece of trim found on some very high-end Sonola model accordion grilles, so "where can I find a grille like this:"

https://hammondcast.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/picture-9.png

I know the feeling, and wish you luck... 

And if you are thinking of making your own aluminum grille with lyre to fit the Fipaccordion, here's further inspiration - a better pic of the grille on the Armindo Luciani ...

I was going to ask you for a shot like that, thanks.

Looks to me like the grille on the Rivoli PA that you found may possibly not be deep enough for a 3 voice, 2 row box. Note the extra pattern stamped above and below the lyre, on the Armindo Luciani (compared to the Rivoli).  The Rivoli is probably MM with 2 rows of pallets on the soundboard.

It's hard to be sure, and I'd certainly ask them to measure it carefully before taking the plunge of buying it. It'd need to be at least 10 7/8" x 6 3/8".

triskel

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2017, 07:09:12 PM »

I haven't seen that grille very often.

Well here's another instance of it Paul, and on an instrument sold by Italian Accordion Mfg. Co. (no less!) this time: Vintage Italian Accordion MFG Co. Chicago Childs Mini 8"x8"x6" Sirolo (Actually, I thought I'd seen it on one of theirs that garagemagic was selling!)

Only it's on a tiny little piano accordion, and obviously much too small for what I want...  :(

pgroff

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2017, 07:13:52 PM »

Small enough to fit into a stocking!

triskel

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 11:36:16 PM »

Well here's another instance of it Paul, and on an instrument sold by Italian Accordion Mfg. Co. (no less!) this time: Vintage Italian Accordion MFG Co. Chicago Childs Mini 8"x8"x6" Sirolo (Actually, I thought I'd seen it on one of theirs that garagemagic was selling!)

Only it's on a tiny little piano accordion, and obviously much too small for what I want...  :(

I guess I was right about Italian Accordion Mfg. Co. and garagemagic Paul, I see he's got FOUR of them for sale with that grille just now, but they're obviously too small...  :( >:( :(

pgroff

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 12:37:19 AM »

Pretty cute :)

The photos though will do for me.

triskel

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2018, 01:40:23 AM »

Pretty cute (:)

The photos though will do for me.

Me too, but I might get very interested if he found some 25-key ones of them at the back of that storeroom...  ;)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2018, 10:54:14 AM »

I expect that with a name like dryfig (Ficosecco) they won't be wet tuned.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

triskel

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2018, 01:20:47 PM »

I expect that with a name like dryfig (Ficosecco) they won't be wet tuned.

I wouldn't put money on that if I was you SJ - it's wetter than Loch Shin! ;D

triskel

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2018, 08:18:42 AM »

I guess I was right about Italian Accordion Mfg. Co. and garagemagic Paul, I see he's got FOUR of them for sale with that grille just now, but they're obviously too small...  :( >:( :(

Then there's this red Sirolo he's listing for only 99c (with a missing black key) in Chicago - if only it was a bit bigger! :(

And there's this 2-row Paolo Soprani in Italy!!! :o

pgroff

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 12:28:47 PM »

And there's this 2-row Paolo Soprani in Italy!!! :o

Triskel,

That Paolo in your last photo seems to be built on the same frame as my Armindo Luciani - nearly identical except for finish details and logo - with the major difference being that the Paolo has couplers. The Paolo is probably LMM (or maybe it's a little wider than the Armindo Luciani, big enough to be LMMM), but the Armindo Luciani is MMM with no switches.  That MMM no switch voicing with great reeds, wooden soundboard, and aluminum grille all probably contribute to the exceptional response and tone quality -- if only it had a flat keyboard . . .

PG
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 03:00:18 PM by pgroff »

triskel

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2018, 11:25:03 PM »

I saw another BC 4 voice in Donegal last year

And I picked up a very similar one tonight Martin (only WITH its grille) in Southport, Merseyside - another place where they march on the 12th...

triskel

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2018, 05:41:59 AM »

... now [the Fipaccordion] is bought and paid for, ... a c.1950 catalogue for Ficosecco/Fipaccordion ... coincidentally turned up on American eBay - which I also felt compelled to purchase...  ???

... what's going to be next? :o :o :o  (A bunch of old ... Orfeo catalogues would be nice! Or is that too much to hope for?  :-\)

So, following on from what I wrote above, another Pasquale Ficosecco catalogue has now turned up (this time in Paris) just after I bought the 1936 Ficosecco 4-voice B/C:

And, along with it, I got two Orfeo catalogues too, including this:

All with lyre emblems very much in evidence! (:)

triskel

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2018, 02:51:05 AM »

Craigavon? That would certainly explain the absence of shamrocks, a tricolour, etc!
Were it to have shamrocks and a tricolour, that would explain it being hidden away in an attic!
Was this one a 'parade accordion' I wonder?

Not all the accordion bands, even in that part of the country, have been of the Orange persuasion mind you. Tonight I came across a photo of St. Patrick's Accordion Band 1946-48, from "The Tunnel" (Obins Street) in Portadown and, like a friend of mine who's lived all his life there (and used to escape to the Willie Clancy Week in Miltown Malbay every year, avoiding all the troubles at home the same week), I see three of them were named McCann:

And I'd swear at least half the button boxes in the photo look very much like pre-war Ficoseccos:

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2018, 06:08:27 AM »

There's a red and white Ficosecco on Australian eBay at the moment: Accordion - Ficosecco - Castelfidardo

A friend has just purchased this one; currently tuned D/G, though likely not original.
If and when I get to see it, I'll post some internal photos and specs.
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal