Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working with celluloid sheet?  (Read 1838 times)

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
Working with celluloid sheet?
« on: May 11, 2018, 06:11:48 PM »

Hi guys/gals a friend brought his lovely vintage Epiphone Recording tenor banjo for a neck reset ,the headstock is a very ornate pearl celluloid with fine scrolls .I have seen a few in my time but on very close inspection the relife on this one was created not with carving and black but with a soldering iron or something similar has anyone tried this method?
I,m alway rather careful with the stuff as its very flammable but i have an old 20s tenor i,m fettling and have made a new pearl celluloid headstock cover from a derelict accordion and thought it could be spruced up a bit with of detail
many thanks   

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Working with celluloid sheet?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 07:58:09 PM »

An uneducated bit of advice would be to try it outside, away from anything else flammable.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »

Hi edwards thanks sounds a good idea ,I don't have a lot of vintage celluloid left to play with I have some old "I think lino carving chisels"
that i,ve used before then ebony dusted ,but really liked the fine detail on the epiphone will give it a spin at the weekend outside with mask goggles and fire extinguisher at the ready lol   

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 10:34:55 PM »

It’s very common on old accordions to have patterns carved into the celluloid. They usually look cut rather than burned.
I have some old celluloid that came originally from Hohners London place.  If you would like some please get in touch.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

2rightfeet

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 12:15:31 PM »

Having worked in an industry where we used similar materials, I would regard celluloid as dangerously flammable and a soldering iron as a bad, possibly very dangerous, idea - unless others know better from actual experience. [From Wikipedia:  Most movie and photography films prior to the widespread move to acetate films in the 1950s were made of celluloid. Its high flammability was legendary since it self-explodes when exposed to temperatures over 150° C in front of a hot movie-projector beam.]
But the stuff is thermoplastic - ie softens when heated. Is it possible it was moulded by a hot tip with a more controllable temperature? Or alternatively carved with an electric engraver type of tool?

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »

Hi guys..............thanks Theo will contact you ,its taking a lot longer to finish all my old projects than i thought ,now working out of a friends garage just to finish up what i can lol
I don't have a picture of the banjo but this is very similar
With my old crap eyes and a victorian magnifying glass  it looks like burns but could be some form of etching the stippling just doesn't look carved to me but my hands now shake a little so who knows

https://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-3159-epiphone-recording-model-alhambra-banjo-29563/

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »

I would think that it would be some form of engraving using a small wheel, or a rotary burr. This action, at the right speed, would melt the surface of the plastic, and produce the same effect as using heated implements.
IMHO

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 05:35:12 PM »

Hi john
I would think that it would be some form of engraving using a small wheel, or a rotary burr. This action, at the right speed, would melt the surface of the plastic, and produce the same effect as using heated implements

sounds spot on to me I have several dremel rotary bits will give it a try
many thanks 

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »

The pics of the one at auction are interesting.  Presumably it belonged to a cigarette smoker, who tucked it under the strings on the peghead - hence the burn mark.  I noticed that the edge of that burn is a similar colour to the pattern, suggesting some heat was involved.A burr may well do it as SJ suggests, but a quick hand with an iron may also work just as pottery workers produced great work with a single pass of the brush.  What I couldn't understand myself is that the torch at the centre of the design does not look burnt like the rest!

I guess you'll have to experiment until the results make an acceptable match.

Rob

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:59:31 AM »

If celluloid is glued down to a surface it will not sustain a fire, but man will it smoke if you touch a soldering iron to it.

Having dealt with some burn damage the burn mark will be surrounded with a little bit of char. It is possible it was embossed or carved when it was green or even vacuformed.

Be sure to use a sharp cutter wheel if you go at it and not a grinding stone , the stone will just load up and burn the finish.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal