Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bonny Green Garters - now with correct link!!  (Read 1948 times)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
Bonny Green Garters - now with correct link!!
« on: May 19, 2018, 08:34:10 AM »

https://youtu.be/UH7UHl2zMJM

My version of the morris farewell dance tunes as we play them in Chelmsford Morris.
 :M

Now with the correct link!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:28:48 PM by Daddy Long Les »
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Bonny Green Garters
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »

<morris pedant>
BGG is not THE morris farewell dance, it is one of a number of dance offs. Other examples are the Headington Morris Off and Bledington, Hey Diddle Diss.
</morris pedant>

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 08:59:57 AM »

<morris pedant>
BGG is not THE morris farewell dance, it is one of a number of dance offs. Other examples are the Headington Morris Off and Bledington, Hey Diddle Diss.
</morris pedant>
I don’t believe I was inferring that this was the only one. It’s merely the one that we do. Thanks for the heads up.  I’ll check those others out.

Les
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 09:09:49 AM »

<morris pedant>
</morris pedant>
I don’t believe I was inferring that this was the only one. It’s merely the one that we do. Thanks for the heads up.  I’ll check those others out.

Les

You may be surprised by the tune for the Headington Morris Off

X: 1
T:Morris Off, Headington
Q:120
M:4/4
L:1/4
K:GMix
e/f/|gg ga|g3  f|ec cd|B2 Gz|ec cd|ec cd|ec cd|B2 G||

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »

<morris pedant>
</morris pedant>

Les

You may be surprised by the tune for the Headington Morris Off

T:Morris Off, Headington
M:4/4
L:1/4
K:GMix
e/f/|gg ga|g3  f|ec cd|B2 Gz|ec cd|ec cd|ec cd|B2 G||
Yes, that was a surprise. I couldn’t find a video of it though.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 09:40:23 AM »

<morris pedant>
</morris pedant>

I had a pound for every time I've heard it introduced as 'the morris man's traditional farewell' well at least my inner folk pedant could buy itself a round of drinks with which to console itself.

Also known (by me, mainly) as 'Bonny Green Carnage' after the chaos that ensues when a) different teams attempt to  this slightly differently as a massed dance when drink has been taken or b) members of the public are invited to join in 'the traditional morris man's farewell' (sic), armed with hankies and given only the flimsiest, usually confusing instructions before proceeding to crash into each other.

I much prefer the Longborough Hey Diddle Diss as a morris off although in Taylor's we use it as a processional mostly.

T:Hey Diddle Dis, Longborough 1
M:6/8
L:1/8
A:Longborough
P:A(AB)6
K:D
P:A
|:dcd  e2c|dcB  ABc|dcd BAG|F2E D3:|
P:B
|:E>GE FED|G>AG FED|B2A Bcd|F2E D3:|

and

T:Hey Diddle Dis, Longborough 2
|:dcd e2c|dcB ABc|dcd BAG|F2E D3:|
|:EFG A2D|EFG ABc|dcd BAG|F2E D3:|

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »

I know little of the various tunes and occasions in question, but I do know the difference between inference and implication.  I think Lester inferred something which Daddylongless did not intend to imply.  In fact I see no implication of a general statement here.  He quite clearly limited it to goings on in Chelmsford.  Having lived and worked in Chelmsford for two years during which my two elder children were born, I can authoritatively state that much of what goes on there is far from the norm.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 04:58:32 PM »

Having lived and worked in Chelmsford for two years during which my two elder children were born, I can authoritatively state that much of what goes on there is far from the norm.

This seems a rather delicate personal admission for a public forum...
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 05:17:37 PM »

I worked as a doctor there.  I am bound by the omertà of my profession.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »

Primum non nocere.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 10:41:13 PM »

Primum non nocere.

That too, also.  Deinde, ne dicam.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 04:29:22 PM »

<morris pedant>
</morris pedant>

I had a pound for every time I've heard it introduced as 'the morris man's traditional farewell' well at least my inner folk pedant could buy itself a round of drinks with which to console itself.

Also known (by me, mainly) as 'Bonny Green Carnage' after the chaos that ensues when a) different teams attempt to  this slightly differently as a massed dance when drink has been taken or b) members of the public are invited to join in 'the traditional morris man's farewell' (sic), armed with hankies and given only the flimsiest, usually confusing instructions before proceeding to crash into each other.

I much prefer the Longborough Hey Diddle Diss as a morris off although in Taylor's we use it as a processional mostly.

T:Hey Diddle Dis, Longborough 1
|:dcd  e2c|dcB  ABc|dcd BAG|F2E D3:|
|:E>GE FED|G>AG FED|B2A Bcd|F2E D3:|

and

T:Hey Diddle Dis, Longborough 2
|:dcd e2c|dcB ABc|dcd BAG|F2E D3:|
|:EFG A2D|EFG ABc|dcd BAG|F2E D3:|

Yes that's a good tune with quite a few examples on YouTube.  Thanks Helena! (:)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 06:02:25 PM »

Sorry - I just realised I posted the wrong link to this tune.  Now corrected.

It should have been this one:-

https://youtu.be/UH7UHl2zMJM

:|bl :|bl :|bl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal