Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: St. George's Day  (Read 4501 times)

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
Re: St. George's Day
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 08:53:47 AM »

St George's day is in Northern Frisk - a compilation of tunes from NW England published by Dragonfly music in 1988...

<thread-drift on>

A short essay on 'Unintended Consequences':

Thank you for pointing out 'Northern Frisk'. I was not aware of this book. A short random(ish) search of
some of the well-known ABC repositories on t'internet revealed 3-4 references to this book.

A further bit of searching found a copy for sale on eBay - the listing included an image of the first page,
with the score for 4 tunes. I did a quick'n'dirty (and probably highly illegal) ABC transcription.

After editing a couple of 'obvious mistakes' (a 'g2' I didn't like, and which was clearly 'wrong'  (:) - I changed
it to 'a^g/g/'), I had  4 good new tunes.

So I bid for it and got it, and hopefully will shortly have another 151 good new tunes...

This looks as if it might be a book which deserves to be better known, at least oop 'ere in t'North...

Ta!

Roger

<thread-drift off>
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:13:11 AM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »

He's very big in Egypt!

He's Very Big In Sidmouth as well !!  12 feet tall to be precise, we have a processional giant figure down here known as " Prince George the famous Sidmouth Giant "  George is known as "Prince" George in the local Mummers play........even has his own Facebook page
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »

Much later...
This seems to be the same tune. - TBV

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/mirror/BruceShawyer/english/tmp/Another_St_Georges_Day/0000

My money says that's the setting Mr McGrooger found. I saw it and  wondered if it had been translated into midi and back.

I was curious and did just that - I edited the above script into a more or less sensible form - it then is almost exactly the same as the
versions  from t'Old Vic Tune Book/the Northern Frisk book.

I then translated it into midi and back - the result was a severely mangled script but not as mangled as that in the URL above...
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal