Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bellows taping  (Read 1876 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Bellows taping
« on: May 22, 2018, 07:55:51 PM »

We all know this is a pig of a job most times, but to me the most difficult bit is getting the new tapes all the same length. Yes I have seen the steel rulers method, but I once saw a piece of kit for sale somewhere that will cut both valves and bellows tape to the required length every time.
So I decided to see if I could find this fabled machine again, and I can't see it anywhere  Grrrrrrrrrrrr
Anybody seen it?

Sir John
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:03:41 PM by John MacKenzie (Cugiok) »
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

diatonix

Re: Bellows taping
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »

The easiest and fastest way to do this is by using templates and an exacto knife. No point in wasting money (and time) on some fancy machine.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:47:13 PM by diatonix »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 09:16:27 PM »

The easiest and fastest way to this is by using templates and an exacto knife. No point in wasting money (and time) on some fancy machine.

Is there an easy way to make something that will adjust easily for different sized bellows? Or, is a template needed for every size?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

diatonix

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »

Naturally, these templates are very easily made from any suitable material, but quite often I arrive at the desired length by simply taping two shorter pieces together.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:40:10 PM by diatonix »

MartinW

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 06:28:03 PM »

Have found that if you use tape with stripes it is not too difficult to get the lengths the same by matching the stripes. Plain tape is more difficult without a template.
Martin

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 07:14:19 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's only a few seconds' work to cut a length of card (or thin plywood, or whatever your favoured material) to use as a gauge rod.  I'm a great believer in the KISS principle.........

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 07:23:45 PM »

Well I set up a measure on my work board, with a system to trap the end to be cut, and I cut the required amount, plus a spare. When I applied them they seemed to be right, but when they dried, they are staggered, instead of being in a straight line. I can only assume that my measuring was at fault.

Sir John

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 07:34:05 PM »

Is there an easy way to make something that will adjust easily for different sized bellows? Or, is a template needed for every size?

This is the steel ruler method Sir John referred to

https://youtu.be/UwQ1ZCbmNq8?t=7m25s

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 08:41:30 AM »

This is the steel ruler method Sir John referred to

https://youtu.be/UwQ1ZCbmNq8?t=7m25s

Thank you Lester
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

tirpous

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »

Here's another variant.  I'm not suggesting it's any better - whatever works.

The tape can shift around while gluing and is slightly stretchable.  It helps to check (and re-check) alignment at both ends before moving on to the next strip.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 04:46:07 PM »

BTW having ordered a set of clamps like Lester uses in the video, this morning, this afternoon I went to Lidl's, and they have them for sale there, and cheaper too of course  >:(
So if anybody is in the market for some, try your local Lidl.

Sir John

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 01:30:45 PM »

Getting the tape lined up on the bellows is much harder than cutting the tape to length.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal