Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air leak from frame corners  (Read 3382 times)

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
Re: Air leak from frame corners
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 10:55:00 PM »

Resin W woodworking glue will do it.

So, this translates to me to 'name brand PVAish wood glue', is that right? (The makers say that the thing that it has in it is Vinyl Acetate Polymer emulsion). If I for example walk over to my local hardware store tomorrow, they might carry a range of Resin W labeled glues by Evo-Stik (or also none at all). But, I assume that I should a) not worry about seeking out allegedly flexible glues since this use case doesn't really need it and b) avoid water/weather proof glues where possible since, ok, dampness will make the regular glue come off, but that's going to mess up other stuff on the instrument anyway and it closes the door on getting in/opening it back up that way in the future. So - does any PVA-like wood glue sound ok, or do you really specifically recommend this make?

I have some small brushes and should be able to get some clothes pegs and should be able to follow the rest of the steps. Investigation suggests that 5 or 6 of the corners seem to be pulling away, seemingly because the glue has pulled the paint off of the frame? Should I attempt to remove existing glue in any fashion or just juice up the holes with new glue and clamp over night.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 07:41:15 AM »

For this application superglue works better than pva because will penetrate the full depth of the joint by capillary action.

My Gaillard started to leak there 😳 but … Theo lives near my Mum and repaired it over a weekend using the aformentioned super glue.

Perfect fix 😀
  _       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 08:29:36 AM »

Vinyl Acetate Type glues will be fine.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 07:15:45 PM »

Resin W woodworking glue will do it.
Remove bellows.
Gently work glue into the gap with a spatula or small brush. Not too thick as there will be some squeeze out.
Clamp the bellows corner to the frame with a clothes peg, bulldog clip, whatever.
Carefully wipe off excess glue with a damp sponge.
Leave overnight.

Just wanted to add, followed this advice, seems to have done the job! I used a brush and a narrow metal encouraging tool I usually use to lift / support reeds to get glue into some of the very narrow gaps. Pegged it up, wiped off the squeezed out glue and left overnight as advised. All secured back on now, thanks.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 07:53:26 PM »

I hoe you'll tape it for us when its done  >:E

Tape?? Can you still buy that??  >:E
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal