Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Boot fair buy "what is it"?  (Read 4024 times)

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
Boot fair buy "what is it"?
« on: May 27, 2018, 05:07:40 PM »

Hi guys bought this today looked rather sad and neglected ,it says steel bronze reeds and made in germany but no other markings figured £10 as an wall hanger i have no idea of age any info would be appreciated
thanks

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
Re: Boot fair buy "what is it"?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 08:27:09 PM »

Looks a lot like an old Klingenthaler to me. Very similar to one I repaired for a friend some time ago.
Hohner Club IIB Victoria

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 10:04:57 PM »

Hi barry thanks for the info had a peek inside looks to be in good condition all reeds sound ,hadn't considered repairing
 it has reed plates like a harmonica big sound and "Klingenthaler" interesting might be worth dibbling with
any idea of age ? 

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 10:29:58 PM »

Don't trust the klingenthalers Jim. they're not our kind of people
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 10:51:25 PM »

Bet they don't sound like DTN & Jimbo either Greg  - I canny get any more sound out of it Captain, the Copydex is coming off the bellows tape  :(
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 10:53:39 PM »

If I squeeze'er anymore she'll blow!
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 11:26:58 PM »

The Costalotti players amongst us might say "It's a melodeon, Jim, but not as we know it!"
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
    • Martyn White Melodeon Tuning and Repairs
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 12:00:14 AM »

Hi guys bought this today looked rather sad and neglected ,it says steel bronze reeds and made in germany but no other markings figured £10 as an wall hanger i have no idea of age any info would be appreciated
thanks
Looks like you got a bargain there.
They usually sell for £30-£60 in antique centers and the like.
They are never going to be great players because they weren't great when they were new.
This one looks quite a late example of its type and I'm guessing somewhere between 1910 - 1920 but I'm sure someone will know better than me.

Martyn

'Anything from a small repair to a full restoration'.
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 12:19:53 AM »

£30 to £60? Honestly, I'm astonished, the buyers must have too much money in their pockets!

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 01:07:12 AM »

Hi guy thanks for the info and cabaret
I make compensated banjo bridges so am always on the lookout for vintage ebony and vintage maple
and especially my beloved nettlefold roundhead brass nickel plated screws lol 
I bought a vintage rock maple drawbox for £4 must be a couple of years ago that i,m still using

£1 for the old brush set to me was a bargain and the melodeon was in the same box
as it's not really worth repairing strip and perhaps another project along with all the others I have lol
and the mini liliput is still waiting completion
so little time so much to do   

triskel

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 06:07:24 AM »

Looks a lot like an old Klingenthaler to me.

I think it's an old Zwotan to be precise (Zwota being one of the old villages, at the southern end, that went to form the town of Klingenthal) and almost certainly a product of the Gebrüder Ludwig factory there. It's very hard to tell in the photo, but are the three bellows dividers red Garry? (They usually are on a Ludwig.)

That gold design in the corners of the soundboard is one they started to use towards the end of the 1930s (when the great Cajun player Joe Falcon bought his last new accordion, a steel-reeded "Eagle Brand", like that) though more usually in conjuntion with a rounded-end keyboard, and they continued to use both those features up until the beginning of the 1970s when I bought my Parsifal one (an old Ludwig brand, and my first new melodeon, in Manchester) like that for the grand sum of 8 guineas (£8.40), which was then less than half the £17 ,, 10s (£17.50) price of a Hohner 114... :(

triskel

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 06:37:10 AM »

I make compensated banjo bridges so am always on the lookout for vintage ebony and vintage maple

Interesting! I do a good bit with Irish-tuned (GDAE) tenor banjos, but these days the majority of players are going more for the tone of a wound second string - which needs very different compensation because the core wire is so thin. Have you tried making bridges compensated for a wound second string?

And Spock was wondering if you also do them for 5-string? (Him and the Captain are partial to a bit of bluegrass... )

and especially my beloved nettlefold roundhead brass nickel plated screws lol

I've old boxes of steel, aluminium, brass, Venetian blued and chrome plated, but no nickel plated ones I'm afraid! :(   

so little time so much to do   

Tell me about it!!! ::)

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 09:52:08 AM »

Hi triskel a side pic of the bellows ..........bridges a passion  for over 40 years ,have two vintage Miltons left from a box bought in the 80s  no idea where they sorced them but wonderful ,have some old vega perch poles I use for best,many banjo players seem to overlook
the importance of the bridge unlike the string comunity

"compensation" I start with string gauges take a sting at a time using the 12th harmonic and
then up the neck to get a guide then its a compromise ,obviously it's dependant on the accuracy of the fretting,relief, action  gauges, tuning and to me most important the BRIDGE itself         

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »

Hi edward
£30 to £60? Honestly, I'm astonished, the buyers must have too much money in their pockets!
Have a trip to bond street have a simple ham and cheese sandwich a coffee and then a pint in the pub next door
 £43 !!!!! the world has gone completely mad

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »

Charges levied are generally governed by what people are willing to pay.

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 10:32:02 AM »

Hi edward
Charges levied are generally governed by what people are willing to pay.
Always been so but like designer modern clothes the premium cost now has a status of its own
as if cheaper is in some way inferior ,irrespective of quality

“We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities.”

Oscar Wilde

he had no idea what was coming lol

triskel

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 11:37:16 AM »

Hi triskel a side pic of the bellows .......

Red, like I said then, confirming it's a Gebrüder Ludwig (= Ludwig Bothers) from Zwota.

many banjo players seem to overlook the importance of the bridge unlike the string comunity

I think the vast majority of players, of whatever instrument, tend to be pretty clueless about the vagaries of tone and intonation in relation to their instruments, and how they can be improved. But I've always listened to the instruments I'm working on and tried to achieve the best results I can with them - and bridges are a very important part of that.

Often I'd find a good-quality (preferably German) 3-footed bridge gives the best tone off a resonated banjo, and a 2-footed on an open-back, though I generally stick with the original 2-footed solid rosewood bridge on a Framus (they suit them!) But if the strings are gut, or nylon, I'd go for solid maple.

... "compensation" I start with string gauges take a sting at a time using the 12th harmonic and
then up the neck to get a guide then its a compromise ,obviously it's dependant on the accuracy of the fretting,relief, action  gauges, tuning and to me most important the BRIDGE itself       

That's the best way to do it, though it should be possible to come up with some reasonably "standard" measurements once the string gauges are known.

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 12:30:12 PM »

Hi triskel I try to match the bridge to the instrument having several virtually finished bridges to swop around
with different ebony caps I,m no expert to the various harmonic nuances but I know a man that is lol much like violin setup I'm possibly the world's worst fiddle player but have a friend thats exceptional so do the same thing
I do make a few alternative material bridges but for me very old close grain maple and ebony "dry and hard" is the best starting place

Never found anything that works as well always seems to be missing that little something at either end   
mammoth and 300 year old gaboon looks great, bright and great sustain but scooped mid
I made a mother of pearl with a brass cap for a friends 5 string "used a mask" great looking bridge
but bling testing grunt but no cigar

Bit like maple v aluminium v black walnut, I have quite a lot of 100 years+ black walnut made just the one block rim
Like these modern tone rings mild steel whyte laydie with paper thin brass no weight
Old banjo player told me once if it ain't heavy it ain't no good lol

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 12:39:47 PM »

Great fiddle players want to pull out as much as they can from the instrument and the bridge is the conduit
same with great banjo players

sadly I can't do either and am in ore of people that can hear the subtle differences just removing a slither of bloody wood
or a slight grain orientation "swines"lol   

triskel

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 06:14:59 PM »

Old banjo player told me once if it ain't heavy it ain't no good lol

I often tell people you pay for good banjos "by the Kilo"! ;)

But I usually add the rider "as long as the weight is in the right places" - seeing that I've come across cheaply-made heavy banjos that have it in all the wrong ones... :o
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal