Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boot fair buy "what is it"?  (Read 4022 times)

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
Re: Boot fair buy "what is it"?
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 09:50:40 AM »

As a general rule what is  "steel bronze" in my experience this can usually be read as "brass" but is there such a thing? I would have thought it was a chemichal nonsequitur, steel is steel, Bronze is copper and tin in varying proportions with sometimes traces of other metals,....but surely not steel,...itself an alloy of Iron and Carbon !!

From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 09:58:07 AM »

As a general rule what is  "steel bronze" in my experience this can usually be read as "brass" but is there such a thing? I would have thought it was a chemichal nonsequitur, steel is steel, Bronze is copper and tin in varying proportions with sometimes traces of other metals,....but surely not steel,...itself an alloy of Iron and Carbon !!

According to the on-line Merriam-Webster dictionary, 'steel bronze' is a bronze of about 92 percent copper and 8 percent tin hardened by compression and used as a substitute for steel in making guns — called also Uchatius bronze.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 10:00:21 AM »

According to the on-line Merriam-Webster dictionary, 'steel bronze' is a bronze of about 92 percent copper and 8 percent tin hardened by compression and used as a substitute for steel in making guns — called also Uchatius bronze.

So !!  a Hardened brass then !!   Many Thanks Steve.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 10:24:28 AM »

No not a hardened brass, but a hardened bronze.  Brass is a copper zinc alloy.  Bronze is copper and tin.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »

I expect that each of the common reed materials have their own plus points as far as suitability goes. But couldn't more modern, hi-tech materials and manufacturing processes, have something better to offer?

(If this departure from the original question is a step too far, please feel free to move it.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 10:42:10 AM »

Old banjo player told me once if it ain't heavy it ain't no good lol

I often tell people you pay for good banjos "by the Kilo"! ;)

But I usually add the rider "as long as the weight is in the right places" - seeing that I've come across cheaply-made heavy banjos that have it in all the wrong ones... :o

I used tp own an Ozark. I only took it to gigs in case the audience turned nasty. Wielded accurately, it would have felled the first three rows, no problem... >:E
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »

I expect that each of the common reed materials have their own plus points as far as suitability goes. But couldn't more modern, hi-tech materials and manufacturing processes, have something better to offer?

I once met a melodeon player who claimed to have made a set of Titanium reeds,  I never saw or heard them, and as far as I know no one else did either, but I would have thought that Titanium  would have been rather brittle and therefore not very effective,although I think Titanium occurs in some "Stainless" steels, Metalurgy is not my Forte I'm afraid !!!!!

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »

No not a hardened brass, but a hardened bronze.  Brass is a copper zinc alloy.  Bronze is copper and tin.

Thanks Theo,.. That's what I actually meant, but mistyped !!!!

KLR

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 10:59:56 PM »

My 30s Paramount tenor always yanks arms out of sockets when people attempt to pick it up, it's heavier than the 20s models - they made everything simpler, including switching from shoes for each hook to a simple big rim, ala Gibson, giving it an even fiercer clang.  It's about my only player now, I sold everything else.  Made a lot of bridges years ago, none were the best but I always balked at hoping $40 would buy the bridge of my dreams, and don't mind taking on a simple woodworking project like this.  Made some with alternate wood tops but settled on solid maple.  I'm not fanatical about tone but they sound alright to me.

I want to make some 2 footers this summer, see how simple a design I can cook up.  That would be apropros with the rest of the banjo, after all.  The ones I made before were 3 foot.  This thing takes realllllly low bridges, too.  Anyway, fun to make like this is banjohangout for a while here, where's Paul Groff?  He knows a Silver Bell from a TB-1.   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal